Chicago Marathon

Anyone run it it yesterday?

I ran it (my first marathon) and finished in 4:49. Probably the coolest thing I have ever done. It was unbelievable how many people where running and how many spectators there were. It was a surreal experience and I plan on running again next year.

Very cool; congrats Steve.

My goal is to join you next year. I've gotten really into the sport this year, running three to five times/week + more than a handful of races. My longest race so far has been a 15K, and my longest personal run has been 12 miles. I'm already signed up for the half in Indianapolis next May, and I plan on doing a couple more of those leading into next year's Chicago Marathon on 10/10/10.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
Very cool; congrats Steve.

My goal is to join you next year. I've gotten really into the sport this year, running three to five times/week + more than a handful of races. My longest race so far has been a 15K, and my longest personal run has been 12 miles. I'm already signed up for the half in Indianapolis next May, and I plan on doing a couple more of those leading into next year's Chicago Marathon on 10/10/10.

If you can run twelve miles you could probably finish a marathon now if you're not trying to be competitive. That's terrific you're running that much, congrats!

I wasn't going to run this marathon but one of my buddies needed a replacement because he hurt his back. I ran it on twenty days notice and was only able to get stretched out to thirteen miles before the marathon. One of my buddies wants to run a marathon out in Phoenix in January but I don't think I'm going to go. Right now I'm planning on a triathlon in Galena, Illinois in May as next for me.

I didn't see this thread till this morning, but I figured that I would chime is because I ran the Chicago Marathon this past Sunday. I must say that it was the most worthwhile experience of my life.

As a majority of you know (if you've been reading the SLaM forum) that I've been trying to figure out what to major in and what to do with my life's work. Since I transferred home from EIU, I not only have found a new hobby in running, but also something that I can do at my next school, run cross country while interning and completing my degree at St. Ambrose University. After my pathetic breakup last December, I thought about doing something amazing and out of the ordinary. So I signed up for the marathon, since I had already been running 5 days a week for about 45-1 hr per day.

The training itself was not that difficult once you really start getting into it and running on a consistent basis. I trained from Hal Higdon's novice program, meaning I ran Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and had my long run on Saturday. He suggests that you do cross training on Sunday but I am too lazy for that so I had off-days on Sunday, Monday and Friday. The most mileage that I ran in training was 20 miles.

Though it was cold (33 degrees at the start of the race), conditions for the race were ideal. With the adrenaline flowing and by wearing three layers (one of which I discarded), I was able to run the race at a good pace. I would highly recommend starting off with your name written on you in several places so that people can cheer for you. I added time onto my overall time by stopping to have a guy write my name on my arms and throw-away shirt's chest. Nevertheless, it's great hearing people scream, "Go Ross!!!" My favorite memories of the race were running along the lakefront, through the energetic crowds, through Addison (where I saw my support group), through boys town (it actually was entertaining), by U.S. Cellular Field, getting handed a beer at mile 4, running by IIT and UIC, and at the finish line.

If anyone wants to train together for it next summer and are in the northwest suburbs, I'd love to do it again and improve on my finishing time of 4:00.32.

P.S. I ran that race with peroneal tendonitis.

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE (The Beast @ Oct 17, 2009 -> 12:47 AM)
I didn't see this thread till this morning, but I figured that I would chime is because I ran the Chicago Marathon this past Sunday. I must say that it was the most worthwhile experience of my life.

As a majority of you know (if you've been reading the SLaM forum) that I've been trying to figure out what to major in and what to do with my life's work. Since I transferred home from EIU, I not only have found a new hobby in running, but also something that I can do at my next school, run cross country while interning and completing my degree at St. Ambrose University. After my pathetic breakup last December, I thought about doing something amazing and out of the ordinary. So I signed up for the marathon, since I had already been running 5 days a week for about 45-1 hr per day.

The training itself was not that difficult once you really start getting into it and running on a consistent basis. I trained from Hal Higdon's novice program, meaning I ran Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and had my long run on Saturday. He suggests that you do cross training on Sunday but I am too lazy for that so I had off-days on Sunday, Monday and Friday. The most mileage that I ran in training was 20 miles.

Though it was cold (33 degrees at the start of the race), conditions for the race were ideal. With the adrenaline flowing and by wearing three layers (one of which I discarded), I was able to run the race at a good pace. I would highly recommend starting off with your name written on you in several places so that people can cheer for you. I added time onto my overall time by stopping to have a guy write my name on my arms and throw-away shirt's chest. Nevertheless, it's great hearing people scream, "Go Ross!!!" My favorite memories of the race were running along the lakefront, through the energetic crowds, through Addison (where I saw my support group), through boys town (it actually was entertaining), by U.S. Cellular Field, getting handed a beer at mile 4, running by IIT and UIC, and at the finish line.

If anyone wants to train together for it next summer and are in the northwest suburbs, I'd love to do it again and improve on my finishing time of 4:00.32.

Did you drink the beer?

QUOTE (qwerty @ Oct 17, 2009 -> 01:04 AM)
Did you drink the beer?

Of course. I also had jagermeister the other evening with some red bull. It was good. But I don't need alcohol to function or have a good time...blah, blah blah...

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE (The Beast @ Oct 17, 2009 -> 12:47 AM)

Hal Higdon is one of the nicest guys you ever want to meet. He was the Cross Country coach at my high school for a long, long time. He is awesome.