Jaramillo available

Dick Allen

The fire Greg Walker people have their savior available. Interesting is the Rangers offensive woes in 2009. From ESPN.com

Longtime hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo rejected a contract and will not return to the Texas Rangers next season, a team official said Wednesday.

Jaramillo's contract was set to expire on October 31.

The Rangers' offense struggled in 2009, scoring 784 runs, the fewest since Jaramillo was hired before the 1995 season. The team batted .260, its lowest average since moving into Rangers Ballpark in Arlington in 1994.

The disappointing season came after the Rangers hit .283 and scored a league-high 901 runs in 2008.

Injuries and inconsistency contributed to the lagging offense. Josh Hamilton played just 89 games and a group of veterans had up-and-down seasons. Ian Kinsler started great in April, but tailed off. The Rangers didn't get much from first base as Chris Davis struggled at the start and was sent to the minors for a swing tune-up.

Manager Ron Washington urged his team to manufacture runs and they did that at times, but couldn't score enough runs in clutch situations.

"We have to understand how to score runs without getting base hits," Washington said a few days after the season. "Put the ball in the play. We struck out in situations where if we put it in play, it would have resulted in another run. Now that they've been through it, we expect it to get better."

The Rangers were 20th in the majors in runs scored and RBIs with runners in scoring position.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
The fire Greg Walker people have their savior available. Interesting is the Rangers offensive woes in 2009. From ESPN.com

Longtime hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo rejected a contract and will not return to the Texas Rangers next season, a team official said Wednesday.

Jaramillo's contract was set to expire on October 31.

The Rangers' offense struggled in 2009, scoring 784 runs, the fewest since Jaramillo was hired before the 1995 season. The team batted .260, its lowest average since moving into Rangers Ballpark in Arlington in 1994.

The disappointing season came after the Rangers hit .283 and scored a league-high 901 runs in 2008.

Injuries and inconsistency contributed to the lagging offense. Josh Hamilton played just 89 games and a group of veterans had up-and-down seasons. Ian Kinsler started great in April, but tailed off. The Rangers didn't get much from first base as Chris Davis struggled at the start and was sent to the minors for a swing tune-up.

Manager Ron Washington urged his team to manufacture runs and they did that at times, but couldn't score enough runs in clutch situations.

"We have to understand how to score runs without getting base hits," Washington said a few days after the season. "Put the ball in the play. We struck out in situations where if we put it in play, it would have resulted in another run. Now that they've been through it, we expect it to get better."

The Rangers were 20th in the majors in runs scored and RBIs with runners in scoring position.

That was the Sox, right there. I've said it a bunch of times. AVG w/ RISP is only a small part of the picture - you also need to find a way to make productive outs.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
Walker is already back anyway.

He probably makes less than a minimum player. If they thought this guy could make the difference half this board thinks he could, they could eat Walker's contract in a heartbeat.

He'll probably wind up in Chicago.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)
He probably makes less than a minimum player. If they thought this guy could make the difference half this board thinks he could, they could eat Walker's contract in a heartbeat.

For the Cubs.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)

If that were the case then I wouldn't be against it at all. Whether you love Walk, hate Walk, or fall somewhere in between, it would be hard to see the hiring of Jaramillo as a lateral move or worse.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
So....a team struggles offensively, the hitting coach, one of the best in baseball, has to be held accountable....hmmmm....that's interesting....what an interesting philosophy....

End result? A worse hitting coach is brought in, and the team struggles more?

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
So....a team struggles offensively, the hitting coach, one of the best in baseball, has to be held accountable....hmmmm....that's interesting....what an interesting philosophy....

Rudy leaving Texas isn't about the Rangers struggling and ironic isn't it that they had a low OBP low BA couldn't hit with RISP, struck out a ton, and scored via the homer probably more than any team in baseball? This was all about the benjamins. He makes manager cash.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 01:40 PM)
For the Cubs.

Agreed. As great of a hitting coach he is, he's going to be expensive, and knowing how the Cubs throw around their money, and their lack of a hitting coach right now, its almost a perfect marriage.

Interesting to see a hitting coach *gasp* actually be held accountable when his team doesn't hit! It's too bad he'll end up with the Cubs and not with the Sox. Even despite his teams struggles this year, Jaramillo has a long record of very good hitting teams, and is respected around baseball as being really good at what he does. Neither of those thoughts could be put in the same paragraph as Greg Walker, who would have been fired years ago if we had the same standard for a hitting coach that they do in Texas. Just because there is no tangible or proven way to evaluate a hitting coach and how important/not important he is doesn't mean he shouldn't be fired if the hitting goes south, although I'm not even sure I'd have fired Jaramillo since he's had such a long record of excellence there before this year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
Interesting to see a hitting coach *gasp* actually be held accountable when his team doesn't hit! It's too bad he'll end up with the Cubs and not with the Sox. Even despite his teams struggles this year, Jaramillo has a long record of very good hitting teams, and is respected around baseball as being really good at what he does. Neither of those thoughts could be put in the same paragraph as Greg Walker, who would have been fired years ago if we had the same standard for a hitting coach that they do in Texas. Just because there is no tangible or proven way to evaluate a hitting coach and how important/not important he is doesn't mean he shouldn't be fired if the hitting goes south, although I'm not even sure I'd have fired Jaramillo since he's had such a long record of excellence there before this year.

.....that fade in August and September

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)

He didn't get fired. They offered him a contract (albeit a one year deal) and he declined it.

So Mazzone was the end-all be-all pitching coach in Atlanta, he leaves, signs a 3 year deal with Baltimore and performs so poorly (or is a scapegoat) he's fired before the contract is even up. I'm hopeful the same thing happens with Jaramillo.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)

Well, he wasn't fired so much as encouraged to leave via a one year extension. He just felt he deserved more.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 12:28 AM)
I don't buy that, except for this year. It's hard to win many games with no pitching. Do you think Greg Walker is a better hitting coach than Rudy Jaramillo?

I didnt say anything about pitching. The hitting goes in the toilet late in the season too. And before you start citing the weather as a factor, think about the first two cold months of the year that players in Chicago have to play through. Its all relative.

At the end of the day, Im not the biggest fan of Walker, but I dont see why Jaramillo is so much better and that we need to back up the truck for him. Its not like he is teaching people how to hit farther.

Personally, I think that we're wasting time talking about a hitting coach. With all of the speed that the team seems to be going to in the line up I think that money might be better spent on a quality base running instructor. I have no idea who this person would be, and quite frankly I have no idea who the base running "guru" is in the organization. Did anyone ever replace Tim Raines?

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
Personally, I think that we're wasting time talking about a hitting coach. With all of the speed that the team seems to be going to in the line up I think that money might be better spent on a quality base running instructor. I have no idea who this person would be, and quite frankly I have no idea who the base running "guru" is in the organization. Did anyone ever replace Tim Raines?

Why does this have to be reiterated every year? Speed DOES NOT matter if you cant get on base, thus the hitting coach>>>>>>> base running coach.

I understand that the hitting coach is important. I just don't think that the difference between Walker, Jaramillo, or whoever is going to be that great.

It just seems to me that with all of the problems that we had running the bases the last few seasons the base running coach, whoever that may be, should come under just as much, if not more scrutiny than the hitting coach.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
I understand that the hitting coach is important. I just don't think that the difference between Walker, Jaramillo, or whoever is going to be that great.

It just seems to me that with all of the problems that we had running the bases the last few seasons the base running coach, whoever that may be, should come under just as much, if not more scrutiny than the hitting coach.

Jeff Cox. He was brought in for this very reason.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)

So you dont think that a hitting coach can make of a difference but a base running coach can? Just like some hitters are naturally talented or some wont listen, baseball players are either smart or not, including their base running. Coaches can only do so much, but really its up to the players (especially at this level). To me, more of a concern are the Cox's who are sending players around third when they shouldnt be, thats a direct impact that a coach can have and he killed us a few times.