Jaramillo available

Dick Allen

QUOTE (maggliopipe @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 05:56 PM)
He didn't get fired. They offered him a contract (albeit a one year deal) and he declined it.

So Mazzone was the end-all be-all pitching coach in Atlanta, he leaves, signs a 3 year deal with Baltimore and performs so poorly (or is a scapegoat) he's fired before the contract is even up. I'm hopeful the same thing happens with Jaramillo.

Bingo!

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)
So you dont think that a hitting coach can make of a difference but a base running coach can? Just like some hitters are naturally talented or some wont listen, baseball players are either smart or not, including their base running. Coaches can only do so much, but really its up to the players (especially at this level).

I definitely think that a hitting coach can make a difference. I guess that I'm of the mind set that Walker is a competent hitting instructor and the difference between him and other coaches would not be that significant. It seems to me that when our players are healthy most of them are competent hitters.

I am not sure however, just how good of a base running instructor Jeff Cox is. He may be great, I don't know. If someone could enlighten me on this it would be appreciated. The only thing that I know about Cox is that he seems to be a little nuts, but then some might argue that I have no room to talk.

Mazzone agreed to become the pitching coach for Baltimore because he was very good friends with Sam Perlozzo, the Orioles' manager at the time. When Perlozzo was fired, his successor, Dave Trembley, let go of Mazzone as well.

I find it somewhat difficult to pin that on Mazzone, as his theories and instruction seem to be more developmental than minor tweaks and adjustments. Perhaps had Perlozzo worked out and Mazzone been given a chance to work with the system as a whole for several years, his influence might have been more readily recognized...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
Mazzone agreed to become the pitching coach for Baltimore because he was very good friends with Sam Perlozzo, the Orioles' manager at the time. When Perlozzo was fired, his successor, Dave Trembley, let go of Mazzone as well.

I find it somewhat difficult to pin that on Mazzone, as his theories and instruction seem to be more developmental than minor tweaks and adjustments. Perhaps had Perlozzo worked out and Mazzone been given a chance to work with the system as a whole for several years, his influence might have been more readily recognized...

I wouldn't pin the struggles on him either, but he was known as the guru just like Jaramillo and give him crap to work with, look what happens. He went from the standard to a guy lobbying for work. Considering the White Sox want to concentrate on OBP from here on out, Jaramillo the guru, who only had 1 player with 160 AB in 2009 with an OBP higher than .340. The Rangers led the league in homers and struck out 200 times more than the White Sox. Let the Cubs pay him big bucks. If they have the same players, their offensive results will be the same. I heard how he will help Soriano. Soriano had his lowest OPS numbers under Rudy than he had under anyone since 2002 until this season.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
I wouldn't pin the struggles on him either, but he was known as the guru just like Jaramillo and give him crap to work with, look what happens. He went from the standard to a guy lobbying for work. Considering the White Sox want to concentrate on OBP from here on out, Jaramillo the guru, who only had 1 player with 160 AB in 2009 with an OBP higher than .340. The Rangers led the league in homers and struck out 200 times more than the White Sox. Let the Cubs pay him big bucks. If they have the same players, their offensive results will be the same. I heard how he will help Soriano. Soriano had his lowest OPS numbers under Rudy than he had under anyone since 2002 until this season.

According to Dave Kaplan on todays CTL he is going to the Cubs.

Duncan would be a huge coop for the Flubbies, but there's no point in hiring him if they're still going to let Bonehead Hendry make baseball decisions.

I also doubt that hiring Jaramillo is going to help them dump the contracts of Bradley, Soriano, and Fukudome. Especially Soriano, as IMO he has the 3rd worst contact in baseball, only behind Barry Zito and Vernon Wells. In fact, Todd Helton's deal is nothing compared to Soriano's because at least Helton can be bought out in 2012.

Unless the Cubs fire Hendry, re-organize the front office, and dump off the trash, hiring Jaramillo and Duncan is only polishing a turd.

We only know a little about Mr. Jaramillos' style, but just guessing, If you had to choose a couple of players who do you think the he is most likely to help on that club?

My guess, and again this is just a guess, nothing to back it up, I would choose Soriano (he has worked with him previously) and maybe Soto.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
We only know a little about Mr. Jaramillos' style, but just guessing, If you had to choose a couple of players who do you think the he is most likely to help on that club?

My guess, and again this is just a guess, nothing to back it up, I would choose Soriano (he has worked with him previously) and maybe Soto.

Milton Bradley...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
Milton Bradley...

That's a good choice as well. I guess that I was just assuming that the Cubs would go ahead and dump him this offseason, but they may rethink that after hiring his former hitting coach.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
That's a good choice as well. I guess that I was just assuming that the Cubs would go ahead and dump him this offseason, but they may rethink that after hiring his former hitting coach.

I think they decided that spending $2.5 million a guy Bradley worked well with is better than eating $20 million. I really believe this move was made to buy another year for Bradley, and to try to increase his value to get something for him.