Avoid downtown Chicago

southsider2k5

I haven't seen anything like this since the Ryan was shutdown for that chemical spill.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local-beat/...--64266372.html

Commuters are being urged to avoid all Downtown expressways for the next 24 hours after a pavement problem on the northbound Kennedy Expy. closed two lanes Wednesday afternoon.

The Illinois Dept. of Transportation is closing all ramps from the eastbound Eisenhower (I-290) and westbound Congress Parkway onto the westbound Kennedy (I-90/94), according to an IDOT spokeswoman.

The northbound Kennedy will be reduced to one lane, IDOT's Marisa Kollias said. The northbound Taylor Street ramp will also be closed.

She called it a pavement "blow up" and said it is major problem expected to require a longterm repair. IDOT is working on a detour and signage.

The pavement problem was originally affecting the two right lanes from Adams to the Circle Interchange, and traffic was backing up as far as the inbound Dan Ryan Expy. at 59th Street, according to Illinois State Police.

No accidents have been reported as a result of the bad pavement or the backup, an ISP Chicago District trooper said.

The cause of the problem remained unclear as of 2 p.m., Kollias said, but IDOT is investigating.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/10...nedy-lanes.html

Are people held accountable when incidents such as this happen? It's a major inconvenience, and certainly one that shouldn't have happened.

I have several clout relatives in road construction (one for a company in Chicago that would have benefited greatly from the Olympics), and I haven't met one that said there's any accountability in the job. If they screw up, they're only paid more to make up for their problems. You wonder, where's the motivation to do quality work?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/10...nedy-lanes.html

Are people held accountable when incidents such as this happen? It's a major inconvenience, and certainly one that shouldn't have happened.

I have several clout relatives in road construction (one for a company in Chicago that would have benefited greatly from the Olympics), and I haven't met one that said there's any accountability in the job. If they screw up, they're only paid more to make up for their problems. You wonder, where's the motivation to do quality work?

My grandfather was part of the construction crew that screwed up the original LSD "S" curve. Younger Soxtalkers have no idea how bad that curve was before the 1980s reconstruction job. The way he told the story, there was a crew working northward and another crew working southward, and when they realized the road wasn't going to meet up correctly they just put in this horrendous jog to get them to join together.

Good work there, Gramps!

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
My grandfather was part of the construction crew that screwed up the original LSD "S" curve. Younger Soxtalkers have no idea how bad that curve was before the 1980s reconstruction job. The way he told the story, there was a crew working northward and another crew working southward, and when they realized the road wasn't going to meet up correctly they just put in this horrendous jog to get them to join together.

Good work there, Gramps!

So basically you are saying it is a genetic issue? :lolhitting

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)

Good work there, Gramps!

That's awesome.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
I enjoy the S curve. It tests your motor skills.

I agree. I also drove both directions on Lake Shore Drive 2 times this past month and I never realized how enjoyable it was to drive on Lake Shore Drive.

It seriously feels like you're driving in a real-life video game, such as Crusin' USA and Cruisin' World. Even though I was only going 45mph, I felt like I was racing everyone on the road. :D

The drive south on Lake Shore Drive is very enjoyable and the view is awe-inspiring at night time. The lights from all the skyscrapers is majestic, the towering view of buildings such as the Drake right ahead of you at one point of LSD and the view of the museum straight ahead of you at another point of LSD is just freaking awesome and ejoyable to see while driving on LSD. It seriously feels like you're in a video game, and I think the lay-out of LSD is great just the way it is.

I'm actually surprised they don't have special sanctioned drift-racing events on Lake Shore Drive, I'm not even a drift-racing fan, but I think even that would be awesome. :D

Edited by SouthsideDon48

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 07:36 AM)
I agree. I also drove both directions on Lake Shore Drive 2 times this past month and I never realized how enjoyable it was to drive on Lake Shore Drive.

It seriously feels like you're driving in a real-life video game, such as Crusin' USA and Cruisin' World. Even though I was only going 45mph, I felt like I was racing everyone on the road. :D

The drive south on Lake Shore Drive is very enjoyable and the view is awe-inspiring at night time. The lights from all the skyscrapers is majestic, the towering view of buildings such as the Drake right ahead of you at one point of LSD and the view of the museum straight ahead of you at another point of LSD is just freaking awesome and ejoyable to see while driving on LSD. It seriously feels like you're in a video game, and I think the lay-out of LSD is great just the way it is.

I'm actually surprised they don't have special sanctioned drift-racing events on Lake Shore Drive, I'm not even a drift-racing fan, but I think even that would be awesome. :D

about halfway through this post I started to wonder which LSD you were talking about.