• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try some of these:

"Your honor, two words: Come on!"

"The radar gun must be broke. My car shimmies at 29.4."

"The cop pulled me over on his bicycle, your honor."

"I was running late for work, sir, and I mathematically figured I'd have to drive exactly 4.7 mph over the speed limit to make it on time."

"30 is the new 25, your honor."

"Good thing the cop didn't catch me earlier. I was actually slowing down from 74 mph."

I got a ticket in Minnesota going 81 in a 70 on an interstate highway. Big whoop, right?

Well I recently moved to North Carolina and here, anything over 80 is worth 4 points on your license. It's equal to driving on the wrong side of the street and almost as bad as passing a stopped school bus (5). My insurance premium more than doubled based on that ticket alone.

QUALITY

I got one for for going 51 in a 45 on Rt 83 when I was a teenager. Ive also gotten numerous tickets for no front plate (which I refuse to get), obstructed view for my tassel hanging from my rear view mirror, tinted plate cover the good old, seat belt when I was actually wearing my seatbelt. My latest one I just had to go to court for because my insurance card was only a temporary card, it was valid, he just thought since it was issued a few months ago I should have the authentic one and figured I should take off work to go show it to the judge.

As a general rule, anything less than 5 MPH over won't hold up in court, because it is considered within the margin of error of the radar device. So if I were you, I'd go to court and simply say you were doing 25 according to your speedometer, and you think the radar may have gotten it wrong. I'd be shocked if you didn't get off, or get probation or the like at least.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
I got one for for going 51 in a 45 on Rt 83 when I was a teenager. Ive also gotten numerous tickets for no front plate (which I refuse to get), obstructed view for my tassel hanging from my rear view mirror, tinted plate cover the good old, seat belt when I was actually wearing my seatbelt. My latest one I just had to go to court for because my insurance card was only a temporary card, it was valid, he just thought since it was issued a few months ago I should have the authentic one and figured I should take off work to go show it to the judge.

why?

it will depend entirely on the Judge and prosecutor... if the prosecutor is cool and you have a good driving record he or she likely won't drop it but may reduce it to a parking ticket or a non-mover. They could be a pain and refuse to do anything and just offer you supervision and a fine.

Don't forget you get two supervisions a year on movers or Jessie White starts getting cranky and can and will suspend your license.

From sitting in traffic court for 2 years I would advise don't try the "come on" tactic, from my experience that would tend to tick off a judge, especially if there is a lot of attorneys or people in the court, he's not going to set a precedent for that. I've seen judges get ticked at prosecutors for not offering a better deal and giving only like a $5 fine plus CC and a week supervision.

Edited by SoxFan562004

/points up

Also if you show up at court and the officer does not they may drop the case for want of prosecution.

I received a ticket for talking on a cell phone, got in an argument with the police officer and he finally said "Im not even going to show up." I went to court, prosecutor continued the case because the officer didnt show, at the continuance officer didnt show again and they were forced to dismiss the case.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
/points up

Also if you show up at court and the officer does not they may drop the case for want of prosecution.

I received a ticket for talking on a cell phone, got in an argument with the police officer and he finally said "Im not even going to show up." I went to court, prosecutor continued the case because the officer didnt show, at the continuance officer didnt show again and they were forced to dismiss the case.

if you're there and the cop isn't and a prosecutor asks for a continuance object and plead not guilty... the prosecutor can't prove anything.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
As a general rule, anything less than 5 MPH over won't hold up in court, because it is considered within the margin of error of the radar device. So if I were you, I'd go to court and simply say you were doing 25 according to your speedometer, and you think the radar may have gotten it wrong. I'd be shocked if you didn't get off, or get probation or the like at least.

If the officer testifies to calibrating the radar gun after the traffic stop with a metal prong (I don't know the exact name for the object, but it's shaped like a 'Y' and vibrates if struck hard enough) that excuse won't work. The object I'm referring to vibrates at a certain speed, and if the radar gun matches that reading there won't be much he can do.

Anyways, I recall reading an abstract of a study conducted several years ago on the margin of error with radar guns, and it's only an issue when the speed is above 150mph.

Personally, I wouldn't go to court just to fight a ticket for speeding five miles an hour above the limit. Steve, another problem here is you're just not speeding five miles an hour above the limit; but you're doing so under less than ideal conditions. It has been raining all day around Palos, and I can only imagine it's been the same in Lombard. So even if the judge believes there's a margin of error with the radar gun, he still may believe you were driving too fast for conditions.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
I dont have a front plate either, nor will I. I also tint my windows which is also something that I get tickets for.

It's strange that people wouldn't be willing to buy front plates. Is it just that you don't want people reading it as you drive? For the inconvenience it will cause with the police, I would think having a plate on the front of your car wouldn't be a big deal.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 02:35 PM)
why?

Because I got one after the first non warning ticket I received for it, and was in an accident and when my car was repaired, they not only lost the plate but they also didnt put a bracket for it. Without buying a new bumper or monstrosity of a bracket it wouldnt go on without being screwed straight into the panel and Im not gonna do that. The engineers simply werent thinking about Illinois traffic laws when they designed the car. I just keep the accident report in my car and so far havent had any problems yet.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
Because I got one after the first non warning ticket I received for it, and was in an accident and when my car was repaired, they not only lost the plate but they also didnt put a bracket for it. Without buying a new bumper or monstrosity of a bracket it wouldnt go on without being screwed straight into the panel and Im not gonna do that. The engineers simply werent thinking about Illinois traffic laws when they designed the car. I just keep the accident report in my car and so far havent had any problems yet.

Well, that's a damn good explanation.

Also just so you know, there is no way theyre going to throw it out when you walk up there. They will give you the minimum fine and a short supervision period if you plead guilty. If you plead not guilty they will give you a larger fine, and if you try to explain yourself he will enter a non guilty plea and tell you to sit down and choose between a bench trial after all the cases have been called or a continuance for a jury trial. If you dont have a clean driving record, I would get a lawyer for a couple hundred bucks so they dont suspend your license. Thats only if you have 2 or 3 tickets on your record in the past year or two.

If its in Addison, pay it and get it over with and be warned that the deputy will ask people to pull their cells out of their pocket and prove theyre off randomly and if theyre not he will throw you out.

Asking to see the radar? Might have well told him you pay his salary.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
/points up

It's pretty much automatic if the cop doesn't show up, I think.

I had a cop give me a ticket for going the wrong way down a one-way (not as dumb as it sounds, the street changed from a two-way to a one-way at the intersection I turned on) and my court date was for Christmas Eve. I said wtf dude I live out of town and I don't even know if I'll be in the country that day... he was like well you better find someone to show up for you. Coincidentally I happened to come back to Chicago and was in town for the court date and the cop wasn't even there. lol. f***ing dick.