Gordon Beckham named Sporting News ROY

prochisox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 12:27 AM)
The problem with guys like Rice and Morgan (and many ex-athletes in general) is that they tend to be, at best, intellectually lazy. They became wildly-successful by playing the game, but not necessarily studying the game. And like many other celebrities, they feel that their social status lends credence to their uninformed opinions. It doesn't surprise me at all that Theo Epstein, who never played college or minor league ball, has been nothing short of a smashing success as a GM, while Hawk was a complete failure.

Oh, and congrats to Gordon. I don't think that he'll win the "real" ROTY award, but it's nice to see his season recognized.

That's pretty right on.

I'm happy it didn't take baseball forever to realize this either.

I think that they need to vote and determine the awards before the postseason. I can understand the writers not wanting to take the spotlight away from the teams remaining in the postseason but it seems unfair to the rookies on teams that weren't as good this year. Rookies on the Yankees, Phillies, Dodgers, and Angels have more opportunities to impress, while Beckham can't do anymore to impress people this year. If it's an individual award, not a team award, it should stop after 162, IMHO

QUOTE (EMONEY @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 01:25 AM)
I think that they need to vote and determine the awards before the postseason. I can understand the writers not wanting to take the spotlight away from the teams remaining in the postseason but it seems unfair to the rookies on teams that weren't as good this year. Rookies on the Yankees, Phillies, Dodgers, and Angels have more opportunities to impress, while Beckham can't do anymore to impress people this year. If it's an individual award, not a team award, it should stop after 162, IMHO

It does stop after game 162. All the votes are in. They are just announced in November.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 05:03 PM)
I just don't understand why a group of writers, most of whom have never played organized sports at a very high level, would vote opposite of the people who actually play the game.

It's a free country, and I fully support that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but why is their opinioned valued more highly than the players themselves? My profession has absolutely nothing to do with sports, however I would value the opinion of my peers over those who know very little about what I do.

Adding a couple more thoughts.

For the most part writers see more games, and from a wider number of teams than do ex-players

Writers are presumably less biased than players

And this was The Sporting News, another media company

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 09:16 PM)
I think it helps when Derek Jeter takes notice.

I wonder if this will help Gordons case, especially with the east coast writers who might view the exchanges between Gordon Beckham and Derek Jeter this last season as kind of a "passing of the torch".

I can see both sides of this discussion. The writers see more games. more teams and more players ... well at least more of a cross section. The players see players in thier own division so ofton, that it limits the opportunities to see the others. Then again, you have Jay Hineybird's of the world that wouldn't know their a*****e from their elbow. I don't think Hineybird actually has a vote, but the point is made.

Edit to replace part of a word with *****. Was expecting it to be auto censored.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
I can see both sides of this discussion. The writers see more games. more teams and more players ... well at least more of a cross section. The players see players in thier own division so ofton, that it limits the opportunities to see the others. Then again, you have Jay Hineybird's of the world that wouldn't know their a*****e from their elbow. I don't think Hineybird actually has a vote, but the point is made.

While I think that it is true that writers can generally see a lot more sports, I don't think that players are all that limited. I am sure that they talk to each other before, during, and after the games about certain other players. For example, even though the Sox did not actually play the Phillies this past season, they played teams that did and I'm sure at one time or another players from that other team told Sox players how exceptional their rookie pitcher was.

Besides, we know that the Sox players have the T. V. on in the clubhouse. :D

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)
Hooray for Gordon!

PS I have a question for the SoxTalk mods. Is there a way to add some kind of sword-swinging/dragon slayer smiley to the site? Because that would be a great smiley to use for Beckham.

Can anyone answer this? I'd really like to be able to use a slayer smiley. These things must exist somewhere, right? Maybe on a Dungeons and Dragons forum somewhere? Or on a horror film fan site?

One other thing to consider is that most of GB's competition for the award is coming from pitchers versus position players. There is a slightly higher number of position players voting for the award versus pitchers. Many everyday players would have a hard time voting for a pitcher over a position player for any award. Along the same lines, the pitchers may be more inclined to vote for a pitcher, but with more competition, the ROY pitcher candidates split the pitching vote. Thus, GB has an advantage in the Sportin' News' vote.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 07:02 PM)
Can anyone answer this? I'd really like to be able to use a slayer smiley. These things must exist somewhere, right? Maybe on a Dungeons and Dragons forum somewhere? Or on a horror film fan site?

The emoticons appear to be locked. I tried editing them last offseason and it wouldn't let me.