Oh Steve Phillips, how do you surprise us?

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
Joe Morgan is the number 1 color guy...

Hey, wait a minute...oh, nevermind :lol:

Anyway, I just never liked Steve Phillips. I couldn't take his opinions seriously because of how badly he did as a GM. I mean, does anybody really want to hear what Matt Millen has to say on ESPN? Phillips had the same problem that Sean Salisbury had, they harped on one thing all the time. You could have a drinking game over how many times Phillips said "Big Papi blah blah blah" or how many times Salisbury mentioned Tom Brady.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)
Hey, wait a minute...oh, nevermind :lol:

Anyway, I just never liked Steve Phillips. I couldn't take his opinions seriously because of how badly he did as a GM. I mean, does anybody really want to hear what Matt Millen has to say on ESPN? Phillips had the same problem that Sean Salisbury had, they harped on one thing all the time. You could have a drinking game over how many times Phillips said "Big Papi blah blah blah" or how many times Salisbury mentioned Tom Brady.

Honestly, I respect your opinion a lot because I know you have some insight that a lot of us don't, with you being so close to the Barons and all, but come on, man. Being the GM of a professional football team is one of the most demanding and difficult of jobs there are. The men and hopefully soon to be women serving as General Managers are all incredibly intelligent, or they wouldn't have gotten to the point that they are or were. To claim that you can't value their opinion in regards to their respective sports because they didn't get the job done while they had the job is ridiculous. Steve Phillips has infinitely more knowledge regarding the game of baseball than any of us has here, and you can't listen to him because he failed with the Mets? And yet you come here to read the posts of random whackjobs like us on a message board?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
No, I am glad you added a few guys you enjoy. I share your opinion on a few of them. Just wanted to make it clear that I was not sticking up for Morgan here.

I would love to hear some of the other commentators that are well-liked.

Personally, I enjoy McCarver, Phillips, Hershiser, Tom Grieve (Rangers color commentator), Bob Brenly, Steve Stone, of course Vin Scully, and as you mentioned, Dave Campbell and Rob Dibble.

I think the two worst I have heard are Morgan and Dick Stockton.

I pretty much agree on all the above. But, to really put me in the minority, I also don't think Buck is as bad as people make him out to be. He isn't an analyst in baseball, but he's a decent PBP guy, IMO.

Some of the best baseball announcers I've heard are the radio guys for the Twins. I am not even sure who they are off hand, but, I've listend a few times, and came away impressed.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)
Again, I love how you guys rip on every single tv commentator.

I would love to see a list populated of who you guys actually respect and believe to be good at what they do.

I like Harold Reynolds, Steve Stone, Hawk due to homer-ism, everyone else on the MLB network is enjoyable. Kruk isn't bad. That's what comes to mind at the moment.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)
Again, I love how you guys rip on every single tv commentator.

I would love to see a list populated of who you guys actually respect and believe to be good at what they do.

Best:

Al Michaels

Brent Musberger

Dick Enberg

Jim Nantz

Ernie Johnson

Bob Costas

Jay Bilas (when he takes his Dookie glasses off)

Gus Johnson

Bill Raftery

Worst:

Tim McCarver

John Madden

(wide margin)

Billy Packerd

Bill Walton

Chris Berman

Chip Caray

Dick Vitale (the blatant ACC homerism is too much for me to take...I don't mind him when he acts sane though)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
Honestly, I respect your opinion a lot because I know you have some insight that a lot of us don't, with you being so close to the Barons and all, but come on, man. Being the GM of a professional football team is one of the most demanding and difficult of jobs there are. The men and hopefully soon to be women serving as General Managers are all incredibly intelligent, or they wouldn't have gotten to the point that they are or were. To claim that you can't value their opinion in regards to their respective sports because they didn't get the job done while they had the job is ridiculous. Steve Phillips has infinitely more knowledge regarding the game of baseball than any of us has here, and you can't listen to him because he failed with the Mets? And yet you come here to read the posts of random whackjobs like us on a message board?

Plus, prior to becoming a GM, Matt Millen was widely regarded as one of the best NFL commentators in the business. I think he's been rusty early in the year but he's still very good and I really respect his opinion because he has that unique perspsective, much like Charlie Casserly has when they talk about the NFL draft on NFL Network (since he's been so involved with that side of things as a former GM and scout).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)

I'm not saying that they are stupid or that their jobs weren't difficult. Just simply stating my opinion. I just don't like them. As someone said, it's all subjective. What would I do without random whackjobs? ;)

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
Best:

Al Michaels

Brent Musberger

Dick Enberg

Jim Nantz

Ernie Johnson

Bob Costas

Jay Bilas (when he takes his Dookie glasses off)

Gus Johnson

Bill Raftery

Worst:

Tim McCarver

John Madden

(wide margin)

Billy Packerd

Bill Walton

Chris Berman

Chip Caray

Dick Vitale (the blatant ACC homerism is too much for me to take...I don't mind him when he acts sane though)

I've heard that Al Michaels is an epic a$$hole from people who've encountered him and have worked with him. Cris Collinsworth clearly doesn't like him based on comments he makes towards him and body language. What does everybody think of Jon Gruden? I think he's not quite ready for primetime yet.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
I've heard that Al Michaels is an epic a$$hole from people who've encountered him and have worked with him. Cris Collinsworth clearly doesn't like him based on comments he makes towards him and body language. What does everybody think of Jon Gruden? I think he's not quite ready for primetime yet.

Gruden says too many over the top sayings like "The Eagles are better at running the scramble play than any team I have ever seen," and "Shawn Merriman eats nails for breakfast." I like him because he brings a midwest flavor to the table, but he uses absolutes a bit too much for my taste. I think he'll get better. Mike Patrick is the same way. He falls waaayy too much in love with whomever the players on the field at the game he is calling at the time. Those exact players are always the best in the league.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
Gruden says too many over the top sayings like "The Eagles are better at running the scramble play than any team I have ever seen," and "Shawn Merriman eats nails for breakfast." I like him because he brings a midwest flavor to the table, but he uses absolutes a bit too much for my taste. I think he'll get better. Mike Patrick is the same way. He falls waaayy too much in love with whomever the players on the field at the game he is calling at the time. Those exact players are always the best in the league.

Gruden also said Monday night that Donovan McNabb was durable, I guess he was too busy the last few years to notice how injury prone he is. But, of course, nobody at ESPN is allowed to be honest about McNabb.

1. People here are missing the point when they comment on the looks of this girl. Guys who do this sort of thing habitually, especially celebrities, are doing it because they love to be worshipped. They were probably beat up a lot in school as kids, or otherwise had fragile egos, and now that they are making it in the world, they want everyone to bow at their feet. It really doesn't matter to them if the girl is a supermodel or not - they are just unable to resist the urge to spend time with someone who looks at them as if they were a god.

2. Aside from missing the point, its also a little insulting to attack this girl's appearence, no? Did she piss in your cheerios or something? I don't feel particularly bad for HER per se, because she chose to be stupid just like he did. Just wanted to point out the lack of class in making those comments, and also to say I doubt that everyone posting in this thread is a stunning adonis themselves.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 07:31 AM)
1. People here are missing the point when they comment on the looks of this girl. Guys who do this sort of thing habitually, especially celebrities, are doing it because they love to be worshipped. They were probably beat up a lot in school as kids, or otherwise had fragile egos, and now that they are making it in the world, they want everyone to bow at their feet. It really doesn't matter to them if the girl is a supermodel or not - they are just unable to resist the urge to spend time with someone who looks at them as if they were a god.

2. Aside from missing the point, its also a little insulting to attack this girl's appearence, no? Did she piss in your cheerios or something? I don't feel particularly bad for HER per se, because she chose to be stupid just like he did. Just wanted to point out the lack of class in making those comments, and also to say I doubt that everyone posting in this thread is a stunning adonis themselves.

I agree, and what i said earlier I regret and shouldnt of said it. Hundley is crazy, and she should catch flak for what she did not how she looks.

The culprit here is Phillips and should remain that way

Why is girl owed classy comments?

She knowingly had an affair with a married man. Joined Facebook and secretly talked to his kids to find out intimate details about his family. Went to his house to leave the infamous note to tell his wife how unhappy he is in his marriage, etc.

She's bats*** crazy and is not innocent in this.

If people were making negative comments about Phillips' wife then I'd understand. But frankly, I don't understand why people have to be "classy."

And by the way, he is now going to rehab for "sex-addiction."

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 07:47 AM)

She knowingly had an affair with a married man. Joined Facebook and secretly talked to his kids to find out intimate details about his family. Went to his house to leave the infamous note to tell his wife how unhappy he is in his marriage, etc.

If people were making negative comments about Phillips' wife then I'd understand. But frankly, I don't understand why people have to be "classy."

The distinction isn't about negative or positive comments, it is about a bunch of insecure people hiding behind computer screens slamming her looks instead of her actions.

Ahh, boys will be boys...I don't think we're going to stop a bunch of guys from talking about whether she is attractive or not...men have been having these sort of discussions since speech began.

I think what NSS posted is true, but I think it is also convenient to sleep with a woman like he did because he can do it without having to wine and dine her out in public. It's pretty difficult to cheat on your wife when so many people recognize you out in public.

Either way, I am disappointed this happened, as I am a big fan of Phillips...but hey, who am I to judge...

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 08:58 AM)
The distinction isn't about negative or positive comments, it is about a bunch of insecure people hiding behind computer screens slamming her looks instead of her actions.

I hope you've never made a comment about a girl from across a room.

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 07:47 AM)

Did you actually read my post?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 08:22 AM)
Ahh, boys will be boys...I don't think we're going to stop a bunch of guys from talking about whether she is attractive or not...men have been having these sort of discussions since speech began.

I think what NSS posted is true, but I think it is also convenient to sleep with a woman like he did because he can do it without having to wine and dine her out in public. It's pretty difficult to cheat on your wife when so many people recognize you out in public.

Either way, I am disappointed this happened, as I am a big fan of Phillips...but hey, who am I to judge...

Oh I don't care about guys posting about such-and-such is hot, or someone else is hotter, etc. That's human nature. But there is a difference between that and what has been said here. That's all I'm saying, on that topic.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 09:59 AM)
Did you actually read my post?

Yes and all you are doing is calling people unclassy for making comments about a girl's appearance. And all I'm asking is, why is she owed class from anyone?

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
Yes and all you are doing is calling people unclassy for making comments about a girl's appearance. And all I'm asking is, why is she owed class from anyone?

People make classy comments, or un-classy, not because the object or person deserves it, but because the person making the comments is classy or not. Same could be said for kind comments, polite comments, or what not. It is a handy reflection on the character of the person and what they choose to say.

I think the woman's appearance is a valid topic of discussion, simply because most average guys, not being serial philanderers or extreme egotists as Steve Phillips undoubtedly is, genuinely cannot comprehend how a relatively good looking, successful guy with a wife and kids could willingly risk everything he has to be with a woman who is decidedly less attractive than his wife. Morally, ethically and in every other respect relative to his behavior, her looks are irrelevant; but on a simple risk-reward scale, it doesn't make sense to most of us. I mean, I know if was going to risk going to jail for armed robbery, I'd try and stick up an armored car instead of a Good Humor truck.

If posters choose to refer to her with less charitable adjectives or analogies, I'm not going to get too worked up over it. She's not exactly innocent, and I've read a lot worse on the Internet, and here specifically.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 10:35 AM)
People make classy comments, or un-classy, not because the object or person deserves it, but because the person making the comments is classy or not. Same could be said for kind comments, polite comments, or what not. It is a handy reflection on the character of the person and what they choose to say.

I'm not saying the comments are "classy." But there are circumstances where a person deserves better, and others where I have no real sympathy. Look, when SNL ripped David Paterson for being blind no one here, besides me, seemed to care. I thought it was wrong. Classless comments have a tendency to be funny. To me, and to most, there is a line where such comments are just aren't funny and are just wrong. That line can vary for everyone.

That's why I ask, why does she deserve something better? What line has been crossed? If people have reasons, then let me know.

So far, all I know is that by comparing her to Meg Griffin, I'm classless, and insecure. No, I just thought it was funny.

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)
I'm not saying the comments are "classy." But there are circumstances where a person deserves better, and others where I have no real sympathy. Look, when SNL ripped David Paterson for being blind no one here, besides me, seemed to care. I thought it was wrong. Classless comments have a tendency to be funny. To me, and to most, there is a line where such comments are just aren't funny and are just wrong. That line can vary for everyone.

That's why I ask, why does she deserve something better? What line has been crossed? If people have reasons, then let me know.

So far, all I know is that by comparing her to Meg Griffin, I'm classless, and insecure. No, I just thought it was funny.

Still missing the point. If you read my post, you'll see why. I specifically said, I don't feel bad for this particular woman, at all. I also specifically said she acted stupidly. Further, I said I don't care if people comment on appearance in the general sense.

So, knowing all that, which I have stated again, let's see if you can figure out what I said I did NOT find OK, and felt the need to point out. If you can't see it, then the conversation is over, because you aren't going to get it.