Oh Steve Phillips, how do you surprise us?

Kyyle23

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN Horndog Dossier: Katie Lacey

Who? Exactly. Lacey, SVP of Marketing for ESPN, was a popular subject in our tips box dating back to last year. Why? Why do people despise this woman so much?

From an emailer named "Michelle Jones" last year: "there is so much more to her story and you really need to find out how she slept her way up pepsi's ladder and now espn's..."

And from a "samsamsmith":

I am watching the mi
s
tre
s
s
e
s
of the
s
e major public figure
s
get humiliated and have their reputation
s
de
s
troyed. My que
s
tion i
s
thi
s
, what about the affair that happen
s
on a "
s
maller
s
cale",
s
o to
s
pea
k
. What about the big
s
hot mar
k
eting career woman who
s
leep
s
with the
s
enior programmer at a major cable networ
k
. Why i
s
n't her reputation ruined? Who will
s
pea
k
to "out" them? I want to remain anonymou
s
, but I want
s
omeone to dig and write about thi
s
woman.
K
atie Lacey hold
s
the top po
s
t at E
S
PN for mar
k
eting and
s
he even ha
s
her name mentioned in an EEOC claim which E
S
PN i
s
trying to
k
eep quiet, wouldn't
s
omeone be intere
s
ted in either of the
s
e thing
s
?

Oh pshaw. She can't be f***ing anybody too important, right? Wrong. The rumor circulating through Bristol — and our inbox — is that Lacey infuriated a lot of people when she began doinking David Berson, an ESPN programming VP at the WWL.

On-air talent had been scolded for similar or lesser indiscretions, yet this relationship went unchallenged, infuriating some Bristolites. No leadership pickles for you, Lacey!

So for your notes: ESPN Corporate Ladder-f***ing: Good. ESPN On-Air Talent Production Assistant-f***ing: Not Good.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
Those people at ESPN need to be neutered. It's like Caligula there. There must not be sh** else to do in Bristol, Connecticut.

Somehow, I get the feeling that moving their headquarters to Manhattan wouldn't help. Arrogant egomaniacs are what they are.

Edited by WCSox

It's a shame, too. I met Phillips last December and he's a really smart, good-looking dude. I guess it's just easier for these guys to sleep with these women because they can just take them to their hotel room instead of having to wine and dine them out in public, where they will be discovered...

I worked with my current fiance. For every bit of bad that can come out of it, there is also plenty of good that can come from work-place incidents.

I also know a few other people who are married to people they met at work. Of course I never worked with this person, but regardless my company had zero policies against this sort of behavior. The only rule was that anyone who was seeing someone couldn't work on the same consulting team as there significant other.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
The workplace is a very common cheating place because of accessibility.

And unfortunately, Phillips has taken advantage of that fact on many occasions. He had to take another leave of absence when he was with the Mets because an employee who he admitted to shacking up with sued him for sexual harassment. At this time, Phillips also admitted to "multiple other affairs." Despite this, his wife took him back and tried to work things out.

I realize that even good people can make a bad decision, but Phillips is a serial cheater. And to make things worse, he's going to have to explain his reckless and selfish behavior to his four children now that his wife has filed for divorce.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)
I worked with my current fiance. For every bit of bad that can come out of it, there is also plenty of good that can come from work-place incidents.

I also know a few other people who are married to people they met at work. Of course I never worked with this person, but regardless my company had zero policies against this sort of behavior. The only rule was that anyone who was seeing someone couldn't work on the same consulting team as there significant other.

I met my wife at work...in fact, I met my previous wife at work as well. Neither were direct reports, either them to me or me to them. There's no reason why a workplace relationship shouldn't work as long as, both parties are single and/or one doesn't report to the other.

It's always the ugly and/or chubby women that guys end up cheating with, it will never make sense but that seems to be how it goes the vast majority of the time. Phillips has a history of this though (and if the rumors are true, there will be more women who he had affairs with at ESPN that will eventually come forward, in addition to his escapades with the Mets) so we should not be surprised. I would be shocked if we see him at ESPN again.

On a side note, Deadspin sucks. Daluerio has run that place into the ground, and him posting all of those rumors about other people cheating and/or sleeping to the top just because he's bitter he had the scoop on Phillips and wasn't able to find enough backup to post it is lame. Even if they turn out to be true (and with some of the stories a friend of mine who worked at ESPN has told me, they probably are and then some), just throwing crap against the wall and hoping it sticks is an example of why blogs like that get made fun of because that is even a step below TMZ trash, only this is sports not Hollywood.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
On a side note, Deadspin sucks. Daluerio has run that place into the ground, and him posting all of those rumors about other people cheating and/or sleeping to the top just because he's bitter he had the scoop on Phillips and wasn't able to find enough backup to post it is lame. Even if they turn out to be true (and with some of the stories a friend of mine who worked at ESPN has told me, they probably are and then some), just throwing crap against the wall and hoping it sticks is an example of why blogs like that get made fun of because that is even a step below TMZ trash, only this is sports not Hollywood.

Fact. I miss the days when Deadspin was actually funny and worth reading, but those days left with Leitch. It's trash now.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
I would be shocked if we see him at ESPN again.

Good, he was awful anyway, especially on the games he did. It's funny to think now about the ads they did hyping him as some baseball expert earlier this season.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 03:02 PM)
Good, he was awful anyway, especially on the games he did. It's funny to think now about the ads they did hyping him as some baseball expert earlier this season.

Honestly, who is "good" then? I don't get this. I was thinking about it the other night before this crap with Phillips even came up....why is Tim McCarver "awful"? Why is Steve Phillips? Other than the fact that it makes people feel good or somehow knowledgeable to claim a professional is "awful," what do they say or do that is so bad? And if they are so bad, who is good? I would love to hear...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
Honestly, who is "good" then? I don't get this. I was thinking about it the other night before this crap with Phillips even came up....why is Tim McCarver "awful"? Why is Steve Phillips? Other than the fact that it makes people feel good or somehow knowledgeable to claim a professional is "awful," what do they say or do that is so bad? And if they are so bad, who is good? I would love to hear...

Your an awful poster. Is that good enough for you? :D

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)

Phillips for a couple years in a row picked Cincinatti to win the NL Central which was absurd. He says stupid crap all the time.

Am I the only one that remembers him saying that the White Sox title wasn't that impressive because they didn't beat the Yankees?