White Sox claim Alejandro De Aza

justBLAZE

from Reifert's twitter.

From Wikipedia.com

Alejandro Alberto De Aza Ceda (born April 11, 1984 in Guaymate, Dominican Republic) is a Major League Baseball center fielder for the Chicago White Sox. He is known for his great speed and defensive skills in center field.

[edit] Minor league career

De Aza was originally signed by the Los Angeles Dodgers as a non-drafted free agent on May 1, 2001. The Florida Marlins selected him from the minor league phase of the Rule 5 draft in 2004, and he has been with Florida ever since, playing in their minor league system.

In 2005, De Aza batted .286 with 34 stolen bases and 75 runs scored while playing for the Marlins Single-A Jupiter affiliate. In 2006, De Aza batted .278 with 12 doubles, two triples, two home runs, 16 RBI and 27 stolen bases at Double-A.

[edit] Major league career

On March 28, 2007, De Aza was named the starting center fielder for the Marlins, beating out Reggie Abercrombie, Eric Reed, and Alex Sánchez in what was seen as a surprise. He batted .606 (20-for-33) in nine games for the Marlins before going on the disabled list on April 16 with a right ankle sprain; an MRI in mid-May revealed that his ankle had a hairline fracture. De Aza was called up by the Florida Marlins in May 2009 and has made an immediate impact.[1]

On October 21, 2009, the Chicago White Sox claimed De Aza off waivers from the Marlins.

Edited by tommy

I actually love this. I mentioned going after him a couple years ago. He has had some tough luck with injuries and there's a much better chance he never has an impact for us, but this is a no lose move that could potentially pay off. He has great speed, plays a good defensive OF and makes contact with the ball. If the guy can stay healthy he could make a decent player.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
So my question is why would the Marlins give up on him and place him on waivers??

Because they have Maybin, Coghlan, Ross, Hermida, Stanton, Petersen, Miller and Cousins all penciled into their current and future lineups ahead of De Aza. And Maybin, Coghlan Petersen and Miller can all play CF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
So if we claimed him on waivers, that means we'd lose him to send him to AAA correct?

So he's insurance if we can't sign Kotsay, and perhaps then the 5th OF behind Wise, Quentin, Rios, and perhaps Pods if he's resigned.

He's going to have to have an outstanding ST to make the team, but he's already a better player than Wise if he's fully healthy.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
He's going to have to have an outstanding ST to make the team, but he's already a better player than Wise if he's fully healthy.

If he's a decent late-inning defensive replacement with a solid glove and good speed, he's likely to be leading off on opening day.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
So if we claimed him on waivers, that means we'd lose him to send him to AAA correct?

So he's insurance if we can't sign Kotsay, and perhaps then the 5th OF behind Wise, Quentin, Rios, and perhaps Pods if he's resigned.

It means he has to stay on the 40 man roster. We could send him to Charlotte at the beginning of the season, assuming he has an option, if we keep him on the 40 man.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
Carl will get a kick out of this.

:lol: No doubt.

And yea, injuries have killed Aza's development (ala Quentin a couple years back) but he can actually surprise people. Marlins' fans really liked him.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)
He has 22 homers in 1700+ minor league ABs.

Eh... it's the beginning of the off season. A guy can dream, can't he? :lolhitting

Besides, I'm not saying that he might hit that many home runs, I'm saying that maybe he'll have a breakout year in his own way (defense, good lead off hitter, speed, steals, OBP, clutch hits)...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)
It means he has to stay on the 40 man roster. We could send him to Charlotte at the beginning of the season, assuming he has an option, if we keep him on the 40 man.

It looks like he still has 2 options left.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
Eh... it's the beginning of the off season. A guy can dream, can't he? :lolhitting

Besides, I'm not saying that he might hit that many home runs, I'm saying that maybe he'll have a breakout year in his own way (defense, good lead off hitter, speed, steals, OBP, clutch hits)...

If the guy can catch a baseball, run the bases, hit for an OK average, and bunt people over, he can be the 5th OF on my Sox team as far as I am concerned.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
If the guy can catch a baseball, run the bases, hit for an OK average, and bunt people over, he can be the 5th OF on my Sox team as far as I am concerned.

I don't know about the bunting, but it seems pretty reasonable he can do the rest. He has a .362 career OBP in the minors. He could be Scott Podsednik with defense minus some of the bat.