White Sox claim Alejandro De Aza

justBLAZE

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
I don't know about the bunting, but it seems pretty reasonable he can do the rest. He has a .362 career OBP in the minors. He could be Scott Podsednik with defense minus some of the bat.

I'd rather look a little more in-depth in to his numbers because career numbers can be skewed by 100 ab's at too low of a level.

When he's played a good chunk of a season, he's done so in: 2005, 2006, and 2009. In 2007 he was up in teh bigs for 1/2 a season at age 23 and hit .229.

2005, 21 year old in high-A, .370 OBP, .286 batting.

2006, 22 year old in AA, .346 OBP, .278 batting.

2009, 25 year old in AAA, .370 OBP, .300 batting.

He started off being kinda young at every level, got an early callup but didn't do all that much, and spent 2008 hurt. A big issue appears to be strikeouts (sounds familiar). He appears to average right around 1 walk/10 PA's, which is pretty good, but he strikes out 2 times every 10 PA's or so. Full season his numbers would average 100-120 K's if they held steady from the minors to the bigs. Pods k'd 74 times last year in 537 AB's, in the weak PCL De Aza K'd 53 times in 267 AB's.

He puts the ball in play a little more and he could be a solid player. Those K's will kill his OBP in the bigs though if he can't do that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
I'd rather look a little more in-depth in to his numbers because career numbers can be skewed by 100 ab's at too low of a level.

When he's played a good chunk of a season, he's done so in: 2005, 2006, and 2009. In 2007 he was up in teh bigs for 1/2 a season at age 23 and hit .229.

He started off being kinda young at every level, got an early callup but didn't do all that much, and spent 2008 hurt. A big issue appears to be strikeouts (sounds familiar). He appears to average right around 1 walk/10 PA's, which is pretty good, but he strikes out 2 times every 10 PA's or so. Full season his numbers would average 100-120 K's if they held steady from the minors to the bigs. Pods k'd 74 times last year in 537 AB's, in the weak PCL De Aza K'd 53 times in 267 AB's.

He puts the ball in play a little more and he could be a solid player. Those K's will kill his OBP in the bigs though if he can't do that.

He could be our Dwayne Wise replacement and that is fine with me. I agree he needs to shorten his swing and improve his contact rate.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 09:16 PM)
So my question is why would the Marlins give up on him and place him on waivers??

Florida has aglut of OF prospects and he got lost in the shuffle after his injuries. He may not be a viable starting candidate for the Sox, but I am sure he will get an oportunity. However, no power (8 hrs) with speed and defense could make him D Wise's replacement

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)

I'm not saying he will have a .360 OBP in the Majors, but if injury problems got in the way of development he could be a .330-.340 OBP guy which would make him a damn good utility guy.

An Ozzie concocted experiment with a man crush + Dewayne Wise genes + Jerry Owens genes = Alejandro De Aza????

Yeesh already!! :gosoxretro:

I've actually liked Alejandro De Aza for a couple seasons now. I think he'll make a great 4th outfielder. The dude can play all over the field and I think he'll be very valuable to the Sox.

Actually, if worse comes to worse, having a guy with Aza's positional flexibility will enable the Sox to easily carry an extra bullpen arm at critical points in the season if the bullpen becomes too taxed.

This is a great move with lots of upside, he won't be a franchise player or anything, but he'll be a lot better than Mackowiak and Wise.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
Anyone think Pods is asking for a ridiculous amount of money, so KW scooped this guy up as a replacement?

I hope not. I don't want De Aza competing for a starting job and I don't want Pods starting either. I want an OF with a track record of hitting in the Majors who can also cover both CF and RF well. That way when Rios gets a day off we don't have to run out a s*** defense.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 02:10 AM)
This is a great move with lots of upside, he won't be a franchise player or anything, but he'll be a lot better than Mackowiak and Wise.

Rob Mackoviak really wasn't that bad. He shouldn't of been playing CF, but he worked his ass of their anyway. I'd say there's little chance of De Aza being better then Rob. That's actually not that bad a thing anyway.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)
Rob Mackoviak really wasn't that bad. He shouldn't of been playing CF, but he worked his ass of their anyway. I'd say there's little chance of De Aza being better then Rob. That's actually not that bad a thing anyway.

Mack was an asset and the Sox just didn't have the personnel to use him properly. Ozzie was forced to play him in CF because he didn't believe in Brian Anderson. I disagreed with the move at the time because I just didn't see Mack being anything other than a horrendous every-day defensive CFer so I questioned what real value we gained by starting him over BA.

De Aza could be a great pinch-runner and defensive sub who maybe figures it out and becomes more but in no way are the Sox counting him on being anything other than a bench player and he has the tools to be a pretty valuable one, imo.

I would be quite content with our 4th and 5th Of'ers being Kotsay and De Aza. Maybe the Sox go crazy and carry Kotsay, De Aza, and Pods. Either way I don't think Pods or Kotsay should be looked at as anything more than back-ups that should get 300 or so ab's.