Getz vs. Nix

balfanman

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 09:16 PM)
Getz is yet to prove he has the skills of a leadoff man. His OPB trends suggest he will never get that close. Furthermore, with below-average defensive skills and no pop at all, he is far from an ideal option for an America League club competing in a home-run hitters park.. I'm yet to see why people thing Getz will be so good, must arguments suggest he'll turn into a radicaly different player.. I understand he's a smart guy, with great speed, but he's not much of a hitter and he's not much of a fielder. I'd let CJ Retherford compete for the job, and hope like hell, Nix can hit for a sustained batting average.

The guy set records at Michigan, hit below .299 just once in college/minors, had a pretty respectable OBP in all his minor league seasons except his first in AA (the year he hit .256) and until last year always had a positive walk to strikeout ratio. He was a rookie this year and improved in the second half. I just really don't get why he has no chance of improving when all he's done his whole life is hit the ball and get on base. There's really no reason to believe he can't swipe at least 30 bases. He plays smart and makes contact. So he doesn't hit the HR. So? We don't need, nor could we afford, to have 9 players hitting 20 HRs a year. It won't happen.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You all need to chill about the comparisons. You both forget, they were both rookies. Its not like they have 5 years in the majors behind them. Heck, look how bad Beckham played at 3B this year, you aren't crucifying him!

The bottom line isn't which player is better, its which player fits the team better. I always go back to when the Sox had Albert Belle when I talk about this stuff. Albert Belle probably had one of the single greatest White Sox player seasons ever. However, what a cancer to the team.

The real issue with Nix, I feel, is you already have so many right handed power hitters/semi power hitters on this team. Assuming you get rid of Dye, you still have Konerko, Rios, Beckham, Ramirez, and Quentin. On top of that, if Pods leaves you only have 1, potentially 2 lefties on the team in AJ and Kotsay (assuming Kotsay even plays every day.) Then when AJ leaves, we'll have another RH in Flowers. We have gone through so many years of right handed power hitting teams. They generally don't work. You can like Nix all you want, you can say he is a better fielder (based on only 1 season which he didn't even play everyday) I am not sure you can say he is a better hitter. Getz was incredible for a rookie in situational hitting. But again, the real question is which player fits this Sox team better.

QUOTE (quade36 @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 12:29 AM)
You all need to chill about the comparisons. You both forget, they were both rookies. Its not like they have 5 years in the majors behind them. Heck, look how bad Beckham played at 3B this year, you aren't crucifying him!

The bottom line isn't which player is better, its which player fits the team better. I always go back to when the Sox had Albert Belle when I talk about this stuff. Albert Belle probably had one of the single greatest White Sox player seasons ever. However, what a cancer to the team.

The real issue with Nix, I feel, is you already have so many right handed power hitters/semi power hitters on this team.

It really doesn't matter what hand he hits with. If Nix truly is the better hitter and fielder (as all viable metrics suggest) he deserves the job. Would it really kill us to have another 20 homeruns on the stat sheet? Regardless, of what position and side of the plate it comes from?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 08:31 AM)
It really doesn't matter what hand he hits with. If Nix truly is the better hitter and fielder (as all viable metrics suggest) he deserves the job. Would it really kill us to have another 20 homeruns on the stat sheet? Regardless, of what position and side of the plate it comes from?

The thing is, he won't be productive and he has shown no history of being productive. Getz has. And I'm not saying Getz is going to be a star but he's a much better baseball player than Nix.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
It really doesn't matter what hand he hits with. If Nix truly is the better hitter and fielder (as all viable metrics suggest) he deserves the job.

What.metrics.please? Be specific.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
Would it really kill us to have another 20 homeruns on the stat sheet?

Not much good to hit 20 homeruns if a guy hits in the low .200's and has a sub .300 OBP? Low OBP means more outs per at-bat... which is death to an offense.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
The thing is, he won't be productive and he has shown no history of being productive. Getz has. And I'm not saying Getz is going to be a star but he's a much better baseball player than Nix.

Exactly. It took Nix 3 attempts to have a good enough AAA season to get promoted to the bigs. Getz nailed it in his first try.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
Not much good to hit 20 homeruns if a guy hits in the low .200's and has a sub .300 OBP? Low OBP means more outs per at-bat... which is death to an offense.

I don't understand the fascination with Nix. We already had this type of player on this team before, Uribe. And he drove me nuts. The main difference is Uribe played plus defense at 3 positions and actually did hit 20 dongs in a season.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)
I don't understand the fascination with Nix. We already had this type of player on this team before, Uribe. And he drove me nuts. The main difference is Uribe played plus defense at 3 positions and actually did hit 20 dongs in a season.

Ha, I never put 2 and 2 together, Nix is alot like Uribe.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
Ha, I never put 2 and 2 together, Nix is alot like Uribe.

Exept that Uribe played plus plus defense at the premiere infield position from a defensive perspective and was also a stud at 3B and could play 2B too.

Nix couldn't dream of being the defensive player Uribe was. And even with all that said, Uribe wasn't very good with the exception of 2 years in Chicago (as a pure starter), although his defense was very valuable.

Uribe did have a damn good year (Uribe wise) this season in San Fran though IIRC.

I don't think it matters if Nix can play other positions. As long as he can handle the one we ask him to play, i don't think anyone can complain. Getz is the viable backup here anyway. My argument is to play Getz across the field, and keep Nix at second. It's both the optimal offensive and defensive alignment. Ideally, we can find a left-handed presence for the corner Of and/or DH spots.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 07:59 PM)
I don't think it matters if Nix can play other positions. As long as he can handle the one we ask him to play, i don't think anyone can complain. Getz is the viable backup here anyway. My argument is to play Getz across the field, and keep Nix at second. It's both the optimal offensive and defensive alignment. Ideally, we can find a left-handed presence for the corner Of and/or DH spots.

Getz doesn't have the arm to play anywhere but second base. He would be a terrible utility infielder.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 07:59 PM)

It does matter though. Right now Nix doesn't project as a starter. You keep overlooking the most glaring weakness in Nix's game. He cannot hit right handed pitching. So unless they changed the makeup of pitchers in the majors, he will face a majority of right handed pitchers. They will exploit him over and over from the right side. So unless a lightbulb moment goes off and he suddenly learns how to hit righties, he is a mitigated player. And the evidence states that this is not a guy who is a natural when it comes to offense. He struggled at numerous stops with advanced pitching. His scouting report talks about how he has power, yet presses at times that nullify his contact rate. He doesn't have enough of a pedigree to state that he will all of sudden become a guy who can hit right handers. There are plenty of examples of right handers who can hit lefty pitching yet have problems hitting righties. They rarely project as starters.

Edited by southsideirish71