Getz vs. Nix

balfanman

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
Somebody sounds a little bitter. You think you would put together at least somewhat of an argument, but I guess not.

Please explain how Getz is a poor defensive player. Inquiring minds want to know.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
Somebody sounds a little bitter. You think you would put together at least somewhat of an argument, but I guess not.

The arguments have been made in this thread by several posters, including myself. All you have to do is read it. Instead, you're challenging others to repeat themselves simply because you didn't read the f***ing thread.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
He has bad range.... He has a UZR of -5.8. I'm sure you don't believe in UZR though.

Is this the same UZR that has Pods at +1.2 in CF this year (and -1.0 in LF)? Yeah, you're right. Pods is much better in LF and CF than Getz is at 2B.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
Please explain how Getz is a poor defensive player. Inquiring minds want to know.

Seems like people have been ragging on Getz's defense ever since the two bad-bounce plays he mishandled vs. the Cubs.

Funny, but I remember more plays this year that Nix mishandled than ones Getz did.

He has bad range.... He has a UZR of -5.8. I'm sure you don't believe in UZR though.

Please explain how Getz is a good defensive player. Let me guess, you use your eyes?

What happened to your eyes? Since you need every stat known to man kind to decide wheter someone can play or NOT!!

Stats are just one sample size my friend............And the EYES dont LIE.........

What happened to your eyes? Since you need every stat known to man kind to decide wheter someone can play or NOT!!

Stats are just one sample size my friend............And the EYES dont LIE.........

They actually do. You tend to remember the awful plays and the remarkable plays the most. That's why people thought Alexei was spectacular at 2nd.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)

Please explain how Getz is a good defensive player. Let me guess, you use your eyes?

Let me guess, you use your ass?

Please tell me how Jayson Nix is going to hit RHP well enough to earn a spot in any MLB lineup.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)

2009 UZR for MLB 2Bs...

Second Base: 1. Dustin Pedroia 10.7 2. Placido Polanco 9.1 3. Chase Utley 8.7 4. Felipe Lopez 5.9 4. Freddy Sanchez 5.9 4. Ian Kinsler 5.9 7. Brandon Phillips 5.1 8. Clint Barmes 4.3 9. Aaron Hill -0.8 10. Jose Lopez -1.5 11. Kaz Matsui -1.8 12. Chris Getz -2.8 13. Orlando Hudson -3.8 14. Brian Roberts -4.1 15. David Eckstein -5.1

Is this the same UZR that has Pods at +1.2 in CF this year (and -1.0 in LF)? Yeah, you're right. Pods is much better in LF and CF than Getz is at 2B.

Giving one example as justification, nice.

UZR isn't completely accurate, but for the most part it works. More often than not their rating for a certain player will be accurate.

But if you want to believe it is completely flawed and inaccurate do to one or few examples, be my guest.

Edited by son of a rude

They actually do. You tend to remember the awful plays and the remarkable plays the most. That's why people thought Alexei was spectacular at 2nd.

Im personaly coming around on all the new stats........I also think its important to trust your eyes also.I agree about Alexie at 2nd base,but in my mind he totaly disapointed me at SS.

2009 UZR for MLB 2Bs...

Second Base: 1. Dustin Pedroia 10.7 2. Placido Polanco 9.1 3. Chase Utley 8.7 4. Felipe Lopez 5.9 4. Freddy Sanchez 5.9 4. Ian Kinsler 5.9 7. Brandon Phillips 5.1 8. Clint Barmes 4.3 9. Aaron Hill -0.8 10. Jose Lopez -1.5 11. Kaz Matsui -1.8 12. Chris Getz -2.8 13. Orlando Hudson -3.8 14. Brian Roberts -4.1 15. David Eckstein -5.1

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...ion=2B#fielding

-5.8 from fangraphs...

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
Read the f***ing post next time then. I said he was bad on defense. There is nothing in the thread that proves he has good defense.

I never claimed that he was "good" defensively. (In fact, I'd say average or slightly above.) My point is that he's not BAD defensively (like Pods, JD, etc.).

All it is is arguing about whether UZR is accurate or not.

Alexei had a UZR of +2.3 at SS this year. While UZR is a useful stat, it should be obvious that it doesn't reflect other important aspects of defensive play.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
Read the f***ing post next time then. I said he was bad on defense. There is nothing in the thread that proves he has good defense. All it is is arguing about whether UZR is accurate or not.

People believe Getz is a good 2B because they have watched him play. UZR has its flaws, which must upset you because it seems to be your only argument.

Secondly, it would be practically impossible for anyone to "prove" anything to you. Only time will do that, and when enough of it passes, you'll see how wrong you are.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
Giving one example as justification, nice.

UZR isn't completely accurate, but for the most part it works. More often than not their rating for a certain player will be accurate.

But if you want to believe it is completely flawed and inaccurate do to one or few examples, be my guest.

Omar Vizquel had a UZR of -6.4 in 2002 (age 35). But at age 40, it suddenly jumped to +20.2.

Yeah, it's definitely works for the most part.

Edited by WCSox

Nix had an OPS 46 points higher than Getz this season (.716 versus .670). I think Nix's range is a lot better than Getz's, so while I don't know how much better Nix is at D, I definitely think he is better. Getz had a better batting average, and it's possible that because of contact issues Nix will be much worse than Getz going forward. But last season Nix was the better player.

I suppose it's defensible starting Getz over Nix next season based on scouting projections (i.e. that Nix will crash because of the Ks), but I don't see why Nix should have his job in jeopardy for next season. He can sort of play SS and 3B and has some pop and speed; he's a god backup. Dumping him for Lillibridge or Retherford seems crazy.

Edited by hitlesswonder

I'm one of Jayson Nix's biggest fans on the board, because the man has insane potential if he figures it all out (called him a RH Chase Utley many times here, if everything goes right) with his crazy good defense at 2B (if he ISNT moved around) but with all that being said, I want Chris Getz potential Mickey Morandini ass manning 2B for us for a long time as he's convinced me enough that even with a limited ceiling, he's a much better asset for us. We don't need every guy hitting 20 HRs at every position for us. He plays the game right, he will only get better in every stat (even homers though he won't be that good there) and he can hit both LHP and RHP if given the chance (hell, he hit better against lefties in the minors) where that is Nix's biggest flaw, not to mention he is way too pull happy which was one of his main weaknesses comming up. (Getz is a spray hitter which I love)

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
2009 ALDS: 6 runs in 3 games

2006 ALDS: 7 runs in 3 games

2003 ALDS: 6 runs in 4 games

Yep, it's the pitching.

2009 they were missing a key cog of there offense, Justin Morneau and went up against one of the best pitchers in baseball CC, and a pretty good pitcher Burnett. They also gave up 15 runs in 3 games.

2006: Barry Zito (the pre-Giants version, ie, the Cy Young version) and Dan Haren were tough. The twins also stranded an absolute ton of guys in the series sans the Zito start. So they hit just fine. Also, they gave up 16 runs in 2006 in just 3 games.

2003: They went up against the younger, excellent Andy Pettite a dominant Roger Clemens and a pretty good David Wells. They also gave up 15 runs in the 3 losses and won the only game where they had solid pitching (1 run performance which they won 3-1).

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)

I don't believe in UZR being an end all be all. Just look at the funky UZR's of tons of guys that are very good defensive players.

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
2009 UZR for MLB 2Bs...

The fact that O-Dug and Brian Roberts are that low on the list saws a lot right there. Hell, Aaron Hill is a negative .8. There is nothing on that list that makes me think UZR is at all reliable.

In fact, if anything else, it tells me that UZR is a joke.