**Official Phillies vs. Yankees Thread**

knightni

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 04:10 PM)
I haven't the slightest clue as to why they would do this. Maybe they think they have a chance to beat Sabbathia in game 4 even with Blanton pitching, then think they have a big edge in game 5 against Burnett with Lee?

They sure didn't show much ability to hit Burnett if he is on his game so I don't get this all. I think this gives the Yankees the SP advantage in every game but game 5 now and the Yankees have a huge edge with Sabathia against Blanton and Hamels in games 4 and 7.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
They sure didn't show much ability to hit Burnett if he is on his game so I don't get this all. I think this gives the Yankees the SP advantage in every game but game 5 now and the Yankees have a huge edge with Sabathia against Blanton and Hamels in games 4 and 7.

I agree with most of what you said here, but I certainly wouldn't expect Burnett to put up the kind of performance in game 5 that he did in game 2. His downfall has always been consistency, and IMO, the odds that he outpitches a much more consistent Lee are slim to none.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 04:10 PM)
I haven't the slightest clue as to why they would do this. Maybe they think they have a chance to beat Sabbathia in game 4 even with Blanton pitching, then think they have a big edge in game 5 against Burnett with Lee?

as a manager, going with Blanton makes no sense. Blanton may have had a good year in the NL, but facing the Yankees, I dont see him succeeding, and thats probably a loss vs. CC. maybe Lee just doesnt think he'll be ready enough on three days to pitch as well as he wants to??? Lee not wanting to go on 3 days rest if the only logical explanation i can think of

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
as a manager, going with Blanton makes no sense. Blanton may have had a good year in the NL, but facing the Yankees, I dont see him succeeding, and thats probably a loss vs. CC. maybe Lee just doesnt think he'll be ready enough on three days to pitch as well as he wants to??? Lee not wanting to go on 3 days rest if the only logical explanation i can think of

I can't imagine Lee saying that. He strikes me as a guy who would do anything he could to help his team. And if he did say that, then maybe Wite was right, and he shouldn't have been out there in the 9th on Wednesday night.

My guess is this is some sort of gamble they are taking by hoping to get a win against CC, and then getting another in game 5 with Lee.

LMAO what? Why does George Bell get the right to b**** during the postseason?

Actually it was joke and a trip down memory lane. George Bell b****ed about not getting to play or his spot in the batting order in our playoff series that one year. Long time Sox fans might remember the specifics. Bell had the audacity to b**** while playing for our playoff team.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 11:07 PM)
Actually it was joke and a trip down memory lane. George Bell b****ed about not getting to play or his spot in the batting order in our playoff series that one year. Long time Sox fans might remember the specifics. Bell had the audacity to b**** while playing for our playoff team.

I was only 13-14 at the time, so I dont remember the specifics of what happened, but it looks like he had a pretty decent year and they left him off the playoff roster.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bellge02.shtml

He even got some MVP votes(which I dont really understand, but whatever). I cant imagine many players keeping quiet in a situation like that, he played 160 games during the season and Lamont hosed him in the postseason.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 06:38 AM)
I was only 13-14 at the time, so I dont remember the specifics of what happened, but it looks like he had a pretty decent year and they left him off the playoff roster.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bellge02.shtml

He even got some MVP votes(which I dont really understand, but whatever). I cant imagine many players keeping quiet in a situation like that, he played 160 games during the season and Lamont hosed him in the postseason.

I think you are looking at 1992, Kyle...we won the division in 93'.

But in 92', he had 25 home runs and knocked in 112 and had a.712 OPS....how is that even possible?

In 93', he had a .607 OPS when Lamont supposedly benched him for the postseason.

I cant imagine many players keeping quiet in a situation like that, he played 160 games during the season and Lamont hosed him in the postseason.

When Bell b****ed, it was completely wrong and fans were pissed.

I can't remember everything about it, just that it was ridiculous. I don't remember if it had something to do with the DH or what. I just know it was ridiculous and Bell came across as a f***ing moron.

Pearl Jam shouts out to the Phillies

In the middle of Wednesday’s Pearl Jam show at the Spectrum, singer Eddie Vedder called out: “I wonder what the score is.”

On cue, a boxing-style ring-card girl bopped onto the stage with a giant scorecard reading, “Phillies 1, Yankees 0.” She kept the crowd updated through the game/show.

Vedder dedicated “Wishlist” to his “close personal friend, Raul Ibanez,” “Given to Fly” to Shane Victorino, and “Save You” to Brad Lidge.

The band will compete with the Phillies again Saturday when they play the final show ever at the Spectrum.

link

ARod comes through in a big spot again. I guess the choker tag is likely gone forever.

The choker tag was stupid. Baseball is a funny game. He didn't choke in past postseasons, he just sucked.

He's a stud.

Now if you want to blast him over the steroids thing, fine. But he's not a choker.

--On another note, nice pregame radio interview with Swisher. Hard to hate the guy after hearing his personality. He gave a great interview.

Edited by greg775