**Official Phillies vs. Yankees Thread**

knightni

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 12:20 AM)
The choker tag was stupid. Baseball is a funny game. He didn't choke in past postseasons, he just sucked.

He's a stud.

Now if you want to blast him over the steroids thing, fine. But he's not a choker.

--On another note, nice pregame radio interview with Swisher. Hard to hate the guy after hearing his personality. He gave a great interview.

Happy for A-Rod. I agree the choker thing was garbage to me always was, always will be. Same thing with Bonds and his playoff stats until his season with the Giants!

Phillies show some spunk to cut it to 3-2.

I can't get worked up about this series, though. The Phillies having won it last year takes a lot of drama out of it. They show their fans scared in the stands at times, but how can you feel for them. They f***ing won it last year.

There's no feeling sorry or drama for Philly considering they are merely trying to win another one.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 10:51 PM)

I can't get worked up about this series, though. The Phillies having won it last year takes a lot of drama out of it. They show their fans scared in the stands at times, but how can you feel for them. They f***ing won it last year.

There's no feeling sorry or drama for Philly considering they are merely trying to win another one.

Keeping a team that spent damn near like half a billion dollars from winning the World Series that still has to owe over a billion in contracts is reason enough for me.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 10:51 PM)

I don't understand this post at all.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 12:10 AM)
I don't understand this post at all.

He's just saying he doesn't feel like Philly shares the typical "David" status of a team playing the Yankees because the Phillies are, after all, the defending champs.

Girardi's move of throwing Burnett on 3 days backfired. If he had started Gaudin and lost anyway, they would be up 3-2 with Burnett pitching on 5 days rest, and then CC on 3 days (which he seems to succeed on) or Pettite available on normal 4 days rest. Now he has 37-year old Pettite on 3 days rest, which he has struggled with, and only CC for game 7, although I guess AJ could go an inning or two. Then again, the Phillies have to go with Hamels or Happ in Game 7, so advantage NYY for that game.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 04:07 AM)
He's just saying he doesn't feel like Philly shares the typical "David" status of a team playing the Yankees because the Phillies are, after all, the defending champs.

Exactly, and I agree. I really have very little preference for this series. The only thing that comes to mind is that I guess it would be nice if Cliff Lee won a World Series, but that hardly has me rooting for Philadelphia.

It's the team that has the most championships in the sport vs. the team that just won it last year. That doesn't intrigue me.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 08:51 AM)
Girardi's move of throwing Burnett on 3 days backfired. If he had started Gaudin and lost anyway, they would be up 3-2 with Burnett pitching on 5 days rest, and then CC on 3 days (which he seems to succeed on) or Pettite available on normal 4 days rest. Now he has 37-year old Pettite on 3 days rest, which he has struggled with, and only CC for game 7, although I guess AJ could go an inning or two. Then again, the Phillies have to go with Hamels or Happ in Game 7, so advantage NYY for that game.

Burnett sucked in game 5 against the Angels on 4 days rest as well. The guy is an inconsistent pitcher who is dominant when on and will really struggle against good lineups when he doesn't have his good command. If I'm the Yankees I live and die with my best three pitchers taking the ball even if it is on 3 days rest. Also, Burnett had been very good on short rest in his career. I don't think pitching a guy on 3 days rest really is that big of a deal. All I know is that if I'm the Yankees I'm feeling really good about being up 3-2 in this series with Pettitte and Sabathia going up against the mediocrity that is Pedro and Hamels.

I don't care if it is 2 days rest, I'm starting Cliff Lee if there is a game 7. What are you saving him for? Spring Training?

Has a pitcher ever gone on two days rest in the WS after pitching as much as Lee has in previous games?

That might be a little crazy of an idea. His arm might fall off. I mean with that reasoning, just pitch Lee in Game Six and Seven. At some point you have to trust some other pitchers.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
Has a pitcher ever gone on two days rest in the WS after pitching as much as Lee has in previous games?

That might be a little crazy of an idea. His arm might fall off. I mean with that reasoning, just pitch Lee in Game Six and Seven. At some point you have to trust some other pitchers.

I seem to remember Josh Beckett pitching on 2 days rest in the NLCS against the Cubs in 2003. And that was when he was a fun pitcher to watch because he was young and electric. Now he's a goddamn Red Sox.

If they refused to pitch Lee on 3 days rest, they sure as hell aren't going to pitch him on 2. They had to have considered this scenario at the time they made their decision, and realized if this were to occur, it was a decision they would have to live with.

In other important Yankees news...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/base...r.ap/index.html

Mom of Yankees' Chamberlain faces 20 years in prison for drugs

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) -- The mother of New York Yankees pitcher Joba Chamberlain faces up to 20 years in prison when she's sentenced next month on a felony drug charge.

Jackie Standley pleaded no contest Monday to an amended charge of delivery of a controlled substance, according to court records. The 44-year-old Standley was arrested in May after selling a gram of methamphetamine to an undercover officer at her Lincoln residence.

Standley originally was charged with a Class II felony, which carries a maximum sentence of 50 years, but the prosecutor reduced the charge to a Class III felony. She'll be sentenced Dec. 16.

Phone calls to a number listed for Standley went unanswered Tuesday.

The Yankees play Game 6 of the World Series against Philadelphia on Wednesday.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)
If they refused to pitch Lee on 3 days rest, they sure as hell aren't going to pitch him on 2. They had to have considered this scenario at the time they made their decision, and realized if this were to occur, it was a decision they would have to live with.

I must've missed Manuel's logic behind this decision, but with the way that Hamels has been pitching this year, not allowing Lee to pitch three times in the WS seems like a bad decision. (Unless he's been having arm issues that I'm not aware of.) I realize that Philly's bullpen is bad and that they want to Lee to go deep into the games that he starts. Still, it would've made more sense to me to limit Lee to 100 pitches in Games 4 and 7, and to use Blanton in long relief.