White Sox show interest in Aroldis Chapman...

prochisox

MLBTR has learned that the Cubs and White Sox have expressed interest in free agenty lefty Aroldis Chapman. The Cardinals have been more aggressive than those clubs, and plan to meet with Chapman next week.

The Chapman tour began yesterday in New York, as the 21-year-old's agency decided not to make MLB clubs come to Andorra. ESPN's Jorge Arangure Jr. believes Chapman will command a contract in the $40-60MM range.

Nice!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sox might have made a call but there is absolutely no way they are about to drop that kind of coin on Chapman.

Now if Chapman doesn't ultimately get it, than the Sox might listen but I highly doubt a team like the Red Sox, Cards or Yankees won't get involved (I look at the Angels as a potential sleeper candidate).

MLBTR has learned that the Cubs and White Sox have expressed interest in free agenty lefty Aroldis Chapman. The Cardinals have been more aggressive than those clubs, and plan to meet with Chapman next week.

The Chapman tour began yesterday in New York, as the 21-year-old's agency decided not to make MLB clubs come to Andorra. ESPN's Jorge Arangure Jr. believes Chapman will command a contract in the $40-60MM range.

Nice!

I dont see the Sox bidding on him at all for that money.........This is BS.

QUOTE (East Side Z @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
I dont see the Sox bidding on him at all for that money.........This is BS.

No, it is speculation. Just like when Alexei came over, people were speculating he was going to make a bunch of money, and he didnt.

If Chapman really only plans on making 40-60 million, he wont be talking to anyone outside of NY, Boston, and LA.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)
The only way it's possible is if we have some backup plan for dumping a contract.

Even than, the Sox already have a ton of money invested in the rotation so is moving Buehlre and than taking his cash and spending it on an unproven guy like Chapman all that worth it?

Maybe, but I think it would depend heavily on what else the Sox got for Buehrle and even than there is no denying the fact that you'd be taking on a massive financial "risk".

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
Even than, the Sox already have a ton of money invested in the rotation so is moving Buehlre and than taking his cash and spending it on an unproven guy like Chapman all that worth it?

Maybe, but I think it would depend heavily on what else the Sox got for Buehrle and even than there is no denying the fact that you'd be taking on a massive financial "risk".

No.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)
So let's say that he wound up getting a more reasonable contract...i.e. close to what Viciedo got or what Strasbourg got. What's our interest level then?

I'd sign him for 10 million and hope 1 of the 2 pans out. I'll take the odds that 1 of them succeeds

Large market teams like the White Sox will come up as "having interest" or "are talking to" about every player this offseason. The people that write this stuff make money off the number of people that read it, not the quality of the content. So don't get your panties all ruffled over nothing.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 06:14 PM)
Is Chapman going to AAA? Is Garcia being sent to the bullpen? What about Hudson's future?

The Sox really don't need another SP.

I'd put Chapman in the pen for this year as our second lefty. I'd groom him, like Hudson, for a place in the rotation next year. I'd move on from there. I see no problem with having too many good options to choose from.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 08:00 PM)
I'd put Chapman in the pen for this year as our second lefty. I'd groom him, like Hudson, for a place in the rotation next year. I'd move on from there. I see no problem with having too many good options to choose from.

The man wants 10+ mil a year. There's no way he's in the bullpen.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 08:24 PM)
The man wants 10+ mil a year. There's no way he's in the bullpen.

He 's not in the pen or the long-term. I'd give a spot start, here or there, but for this year his value lies in improving our pen and proving he can pitch in the big leagues. Hell, if he outpitches Huddy and Freddy he can have the 5th starter spot too, i don't think he'd be given the chance, nor do i think we'll end up signing him. I just think of him as a great talent, whose value for this year is getting the lay of the land and filling the Thornton as closer Void.