White Sox show interest in Aroldis Chapman...

prochisox

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 05:36 PM)
It's looking that way.

If they're going to give him that kind of money...then in a couple years, we can trade for him after he busts because they're expecting the impossible from a rookie and turn his career around/turn him into a W.S. winning pitcher.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 07:37 PM)
If they're going to give him that kind of money...then in a couple years, we can trade for him after he busts because they're expecting the impossible from a rookie and turn his career around/turn him into a W.S. winning pitcher.

Something says giving this guy all that money, having him pitch in New York or Boston with all that pressure, isn't going to work out well. Then if he doesn't blow out his arm, pick him up for a has been and have them eat money. Jose Contreras Jr.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 06:48 PM)
Something says giving this guy all that money, having him pitch in New York or Boston with all that pressure, isn't going to work out well. Then if he doesn't blow out his arm, pick him up for a has been and have them eat money. Jose Contreras Jr.

This guy cannot possibly succeed in New York or Boston with all that pressure. I have a feeling things just aren't going to work out for either party there. Hopefully Kenny will sweep in when his value is low and we can get him turned around in the lower pressure of the South Side. ;)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)

Basically no matter who he signs with, he's going to be a rookie when he comes up and he's never going to have faced batters of the quality of MLB hitters. Even really good pitchers usually struggle their first year or two while they're developing; a guy coming from Cuba, that's going to be magnified, and even then, he'd have to pitch to the quality of a huge contract. Hell, look at the kind of performance the Red Sox got for their $20 million a year for Matsuzaka.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
Furthermore, Chapman's performance in Cuba was far from flawless. He has great stuff, but he's very much a raw arm and even a bit of a project.

I remember watching him in the WBC and he got in trouble with the pitch count. He does have an electric arm, but he seems to have the traditional Cuban pitching behavior of pitching away from the bat a bit.

If I'm the Sox I offer a Viciedo type contract but loaded with incentives, to make everyone happy but nothing near what the Yankees and Red Sox will offer.

Though, ever since Jose fizzled out in NY, haven't these super Cuban prospects (Alexei, Viciedo) been speculated on getting big contracts from bidding wars and coming up with far less?

I just wish Torres was his agent, we'd have him wrapped up by now.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 02:58 AM)
If I'm the Sox I offer a Viciedo type contract but loaded with incentives, to make everyone happy but nothing near what the Yankees and Red Sox will offer.

Though, ever since Jose fizzled out in NY, haven't these super Cuban prospects (Alexei, Viciedo) been speculated on getting big contracts from bidding wars and coming up with far less?

I just wish Torres was his agent, we'd have him wrapped up by now.

There also hasn't been a young pitcher with a 102 mph fastball come out of Cuba either.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
For 15-20 million, I can see the Sox being interested. For the 40 to 60 range, no way.

Absolutely.

But here's another scenario. With Jenks' a couple of seasons away from FA, if the Sox signed Chapman, would they groom him to be a their closer of the future possibly?

Or do you leave him as a starter, and only move him to the bullpen as a last resort?

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 08:01 PM)
Absolutely.

But here's another scenario. With Jenks' a couple of seasons away from FA, if the Sox signed Chapman, would they groom him to be a their closer of the future possibly?

Or do you leave him as a starter, and only move him to the bullpen as a last resort?

Always go starter first. Always.

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)

This makes a little more sense. If Chapman got $40-60 million while Strasburg "had" to sign for $15 million, b****ing about Boras anymore would be a joke. I still think the economy is going to play a huge role in the offseason. I think most teams will not have cash. In the NBA, I read something where someone with some inside knowledge thinks something major is going to happen by the end of the season, like 1-3 teams disbanding. Of course the NBA has priced many people out of their games.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
This makes a little more sense. If Chapman got $40-60 million while Strasburg "had" to sign for $15 million, b****ing about Boras anymore would be a joke. I still think the economy is going to play a huge role in the offseason. I think most teams will not have cash. In the NBA, I read something where someone with some inside knowledge thinks something major is going to happen by the end of the season, like 1-3 teams disbanding. Of course the NBA has priced many people out of their games.

if you can find the link can you pm it to me?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 08:28 AM)

If Strasburg had been allowed to negotiate with all 30 teams he could have tripled that figure, easily. Chapman is nowhere near the pitcher Strasburg is, not even close. Chapman shouldn't get $40-60M at all, but the Yankees will have a ton of money available over the offseason and you can never count them out of a bidding war for a top international player. The Yankees have $13M for Damon, $13M for Matsui, $6.5M for Nady, $5.5M for Pettite, another $8.5M+ in spare parts like Gaudin, Hinske, etc., all coming off the books, plus Wang who made $5M is a non-tender candidate. They could have over $50M in departing contracts.

I agree in general that most teams will be out of cash.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
So, no one answered me...

Strasburg's deal was 4 years 15 mil total?

i.e. 4 mil a year?

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/w...tionals_01.html

4 years/$15.1M (2009-12)

signed Major League contract with Washington 8/17/09

$7.5M signing bonus

(paid in 3 installments of $2.5M, 9/1/09, 1/10/10, 1/10/11)

09:$0.4M (pro-rated), 10:$2M, 11:$2.5M, 12:$3M