White Sox show interest in Aroldis Chapman...

prochisox

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
If Strasburg had been allowed to negotiate with all 30 teams he could have tripled that figure, easily. Chapman is nowhere near the pitcher Strasburg is, not even close. Chapman shouldn't get $40-60M at all, but the Yankees will have a ton of money available over the offseason and you can never count them out of a bidding war for a top international player. The Yankees have $13M for Damon, $13M for Matsui, $6.5M for Nady, $5.5M for Pettite, another $8.5M+ in spare parts like Gaudin, Hinske, etc., all coming off the books, plus Wang who made $5M is a non-tender candidate. They could have over $50M in departing contracts.

I agree in general that most teams will be out of cash.

I was just checking some of the Yankees contracts in response to your post. They'll be paying 4 players a total of $96 million next season (ARod-$32m, CC-$23m, Jeter-$21m, and Teix-$20m).

Unreal.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 07:07 PM)
I was just checking some of the Yankees contracts in response to your post. They'll be paying 4 players a total of $96 million next season (ARod-$32m, CC-$23m, Jeter-$21m, and Teix-$20m).

Unreal.

So they will have four players making the entire expected payroll of the Chicago White Sox, who are a top 10 MLB payroll. Wow.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 10:06 AM)
So they will have four players making the entire expected payroll of the Chicago White Sox, who are a top 10 MLB payroll. Wow.
but there is not a problem in baseball funny .

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/w...tionals_01.html

4 years/$15.1M (2009-12)

signed Major League contract with Washington 8/17/09

$7.5M signing bonus

(paid in 3 installments of $2.5M, 9/1/09, 1/10/10, 1/10/11)

09:$0.4M (pro-rated), 10:$2M, 11:$2.5M, 12:$3M

Apologies for my boneheaded question Kenny but since the category of Strasburg's contract is MLB he does not have pre-arb/arb years? All of these years are guaranteed as are the bobus installments? Which means he will be a free agent after the 2012 season?

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 04:18 AM)
Apologies for my boneheaded question Kenny but since the category of Strasburg's contract is MLB he does not have pre-arb/arb years? All of these years are guaranteed as are the bobus installments? Which means he will be a free agent after the 2012 season?

Strasburg signed a Major League contract which means he's on the 40-man roster and each year he spends time in the minors (not counting rehab starts if he's hurt) he uses an option. But that doesn't matter since he should be in Washington next year anyway.

Arbitration still goes by MLB service time, which means days spent on the active MLB roster. For example, he could spend all year in the minors next year (he won't, but he could) and he'd have 0 days service time and use an option. If he spends say 70 days in the Majors next year then he'd use an option and have 70 days service time. You need 6 years of service time total to be a free agent, which again goes in terms of accumulated days, not seasons, and is why a guy like DeWayne Wise was arb eligible instead of a FA. You need 172 days on an active MLB roster to have one full year of service time. So every year after Strasburg's deal expires that he lacks FA service time, he'll be arb eligible. What will probably happen is that he'll spend 2010-2012 in the Majors, and instead of being paid the league minimum or near it like everyone else, he'll just make more money. Then he'll be arb eligible and under team control from 2013-2015 before he hits free agency.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
Strasburg signed a Major League contract which means he's on the 40-man roster and each year he spends time in the minors (not counting rehab starts if he's hurt) he uses an option. But that doesn't matter since he should be in Washington next year anyway.

Arbitration still goes by MLB service time, which means days spent on the active MLB roster. For example, he could spend all year in the minors next year (he won't, but he could) and he'd have 0 days service time and use an option. If he spends say 70 days in the Majors next year then he'd use an option and have 70 days service time. You need 6 years of service time total to be a free agent, which again goes in terms of accumulated days, not seasons, and is why a guy like DeWayne Wise was arb eligible instead of a FA. You need 172 days on an active MLB roster to have one full year of service time. So every year after Strasburg's deal expires that he lacks FA service time, he'll be arb eligible. What will probably happen is that he'll spend 2010-2012 in the Majors, and instead of being paid the league minimum or near it like everyone else, he'll just make more money. Then he'll be arb eligible and under team control from 2013-2015 before he hits free agency.

Washington could also buy themselves another year before he hits FA by keeping him in the minors until June, as we did with Beckham.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
Split the details all you want, the kid is supposed to be something special.

hes not 21 first of all. he throws mid 90s and doesnt have much command. hes a project and not worth 60M. there have been plenty of guys with live arms who have amounted to nothing. to pay this guy that kind of money is crazy. even if it works out, he may be at most worth what you pay him and the odds are much higher that he will be worth a lot less.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
hes not 21 first of all. he throws mid 90s and doesnt have much command. hes a project and not worth 60M. there have been plenty of guys with live arms who have amounted to nothing. to pay this guy that kind of money is crazy. even if it works out, he may be at most worth what you pay him and the odds are much higher that he will be worth a lot less.

You have his scouting report, his birth certificate, and a crystal ball??

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Ti...?urn=mlb,198413

Tigers in on hunt for Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman

By Mark J. Miller

“AroldisCuban defector Aroldis Chapman already has more than a few major league teams after him. You can now apparently add the Detroit Tigers to the list, according to MLB.com.

The Tigers are apparently hoping to meet with Chapman and see if he's a good fit. "We're basically just at the interest level. Because of the nature, I think it's a situation where they're going to take the time to allow clubs to spend some time with the player and see who he is," said Tom Moore, Detroit's Director of International Scouting to MLB.

Chapman will likely get more than the $32 million that the New York Yankees dug up for fellow Cuban defector Jose Contreras(notes) in 2002, according to Sports Illustrated. And why not? The guy can supposedly hit 102 mph on the radar gun. The Yankees, of course, are in the hunt for Chapman as well and had him as a guest at Game 6 of the ALCS.

Teams that supposedly have serious interest include the Baltimore Orioles, Boston Red Sox, Chicago White Sox, Chicago Cubs, New York Mets, Oakland Athletics, and St. Louis Cardinals.

The Toronto Blue Jays are apparently saying that they don't have the dough to make a competitive offer for Chapman.

Source: MLB.comNew WindowSI.comNew Window

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 06:37 PM)
You have his scouting report, his birth certificate, and a crystal ball??

yes, yes and i have seen how these over hyped prospects, especially pitchers, have turned out and they arent worth the ridiculous financial risk. do you think the red sox wish they paid dice k still?

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
yes, yes and i have seen how these over hyped prospects, especially pitchers, have turned out and they arent worth the ridiculous financial risk. do you think the red sox wish they paid dice k still?

he helped them win a world series in 07, Im sure that counts for something

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)

LOL, you have lost all credibility. You just claimed you have his birth certificate.

It is possible to state why you think its a bad idea without making absurd, unfounded claims, and labeling them as if they were fact.

You cannot possibly know for a fact what his age is.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
LOL, you have lost all credibility. You just claimed you have his birth certificate.

It is possible to state why you think its a bad idea without making absurd, unfounded claims, and labeling them as if they were fact.

You cannot possibly know for a fact what his age is.

of course i dont know for a fact, nobody does, heck he probably doesnt even know. im not making absurd unfounded claims either. i do know what age the organization believes he is and its not 21 and i will leave it at that.

is it so absurd to think his age is not 21? i think its more absurd to think that he is 21.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
he helped them win a world series in 07, Im sure that counts for something

He did help that is true. But he was at best the third best pitcher on that team. He pitched poorly in the ALDS and ALCS. He did well in the WS sweep, which they would have won without him. We can differ on whether he is worth 105 million bucks but in my opinion he is not, nor is he close.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 10:08 AM)
He did help that is true. But he was at best the third best pitcher on that team. He pitched poorly in the ALDS and ALCS. He did well in the WS sweep, which they would have won without him. We can differ on whether he is worth 105 million bucks but in my opinion he is not, nor is he close.

An obvious alternative is to think about what the Red Sox might have spent that money on had they not signed Daisuke. There were a number of candidates. Johan is the obvious answer. They could also have been able to prevent the Yanks from signing either CC or Tex last offseason if their offers had been $20 mil over 8 years higher.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
of course i dont know for a fact, nobody does, heck he probably doesnt even know. im not making absurd unfounded claims either. i do know what age the organization believes he is and its not 21 and i will leave it at that.

is it so absurd to think his age is not 21? i think its more absurd to think that he is 21.

You have connections I take it?