Sox need defense for serious run in 2010

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
The only way I'd see Polanco coming here is if Getz is moved in seperate deal perhaps to bring in that prototypical leadoff OF or some bullpen depth. KW has many pieces to play with this winter. I remember back in August when we were struggling he said he would love to keep this team in tact, but if they fail to produce, he would "use his imagination to the fullest in the offseason". I don't know about you guys but i think KW will pull off some blockbuster deal this winter.

I think you're right though it might not be a true "blockbuster" I can see some big names on the Sox being moved.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (qwerty @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 05:27 PM)
As i said, we need arms in the pen one way or another, i don't care how they are acquired. I would also say relievers in general are a crapshoot, bullpens as a whole do not have to be. There are many relievers around the majors that you know pretty well what you are gonna get year in year out. That is not to say those relievers cannot have a down season here or there. The key is finding those consistent relievers. A team cannot go into a season having almost everyone in the pen a question mark, and hoping they live up to their potential. It rarely works, and if and when it does, it doesn't last exceptionally long. A good bullpen is a key, making a game practically over after 6-7 innings compared to 9 innings is a nice luxury to have. The angels and twins have been doing it for years, among others. I'm not saying it's easy, but it can be done.

I think Hudson will be to the Sox what Daniel Bard was to the Red sox this year-their 7th, 8th innning guy. Add in Pena, Linebrink [who should be counted on for the 1st half at least], Thornton, DJ Carrasco, Jenks isn't going anywhere, the sox still need a dependable late man. I see the sox offering a decent deal to a guy like Rafael Betancourt, who will likely be not offered arb. Or an incentive laden deal for a guy like Kelvim Escobar [probably not going to be a SP] coming off injury.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
I'd love to have Polanco, it just wont happen. That guy is a hitting machine and is the prototypical #2 hitter.

Why won't it happen ? He's a free agent . He knows the division and would have a chance to go to a World Series and help a great pitching staff become even better. Do you think he'll just be out of the Sox price range ?

I may be wrong and things do change for sure, but it just seems to me that the Sox are sticking with

G Beckham at 3B

A Ramirez at SS

Chris Getz at 2B

P Konerko at 1B

Another year of experience may help improve the defense and we don't spend money the team may very well not have

While we can come up with improbable scenarios where K-Dubya fleeces other teams, reality is, I would not be terribly crushed if we kept the starting pitching intact, kept the infield intact, replaced one or two corner outfielders, and added a lefty DH of middle of the road talent. Invite a few bullpen arms to camp and hope for a another trash heap miracle find.

The issue becomes underachieving, which IMHO starts the coaching discussions . . .

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
While we can come up with improbable scenarios where K-Dubya fleeces other teams, reality is, I would not be terribly crushed if we kept the starting pitching intact, kept the infield intact, replaced one or two corner outfielders, and added a lefty DH of middle of the road talent. Invite a few bullpen arms to camp and hope for a another trash heap miracle find.

The issue becomes underachieving, which IMHO starts the coaching discussions . . .

I think another OFer and RPs are pretty much our entire shopping list. There might be some trades that affect things, but I am betting that even trades are geared around those positions.

QUOTE (sayitaintso @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 07:35 AM)
With the departure of Getz today Polanco doesn't seem like so much of a pipe dream anymore.

Alleged departure. But if he is gone there's a big hole at 2nd base which neither Nix , Retherford or Teahan will fill. Still can add an OF/leadoff guy ( Nyger Morgan) and a 2nd baseman with Teahan being a supersub. If Getz really is gone it fits my scenario perfectly.