Marlins will attempt to trade Jeremy Hermida

maggsmaggs

http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/archives/200...or_hermida.html

Speculation continues to run high that the Marlins will trade outfielder Jeremy Hermida this offseason.

The 25-year-old former first-round pick in 2002, came off a rough season, batting .259 with 13 home runs and 47 RBIs. A strained right oblique on Sept. 2, limited him to one pinch-hit appearance in the final weeks of the season.

Hermida will be entering his second season of arbitration. He made $2.25 million this year, and by the nature of the system, he'd be in line for a raise.

The Marlins are hopeful Cameron Maybin will win the center field position, and Cody Ross is expected to return. Ross, also in his second season of arbitration, could be earmarked for right field, making Hermida expendable.

Some teams believed to be interested in Hermida are the Mariners, Rays, Mets and Blue Jays. The Cubs also could have interest.

Even though Hermida has yet to perform as so many envisioned, he does have value on the open market. He still would be a more affordable option than many soon-to-be free agent outfielders. Also, in arbitration, a team could control his rights for two seasons.

Several scouts feel Hermida may be one of those players who benefits by a change of scenery.

I have always loved the skill set that Hermida brings to the table. He would be a nice player to have and frankly I would rather have him at $4 million + whomever is traded to get him than Podsednik because of Hermida's upside and the risk that Pods had a fluke year. Or you could have both, and move Q to full-time DH. I think he is a guy KW and staff need to take a hard look at. He isn't making too much money, either, so that will help keep the payroll low. Question is who could we trade to get him? Danks for Hermida would seem fair, but do we want to upset the elder Danks. Retherford's value is highest to the Sox, not to other teams. Could Morel and say Leesman get it done? Thoughts?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hermida has the tools to be a high quality corner outfielder no doubt about it. Whether he ever comes close to reaching that however is very suspect at this time. Several years ago the Marlins would have never dreamed of trading him. His stock is fairly low and although he wouldn't be my first option as JD's replacement I would definitely welcome a trade to bring him here for the right price. The problem of course is the Marlins are a tough trade partner. It seems they rarely "lose" on deals they make. Realistically, the Marlins would probably ask for a player + pitcher package. They don't need Danks; their OF looks solid for the next 10 years already. Hermida is also not worth either Flowers, Viciedo or Hudson IMO so I don't even know what they'd ask from us.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
Hermida has the tools to be a high quality corner outfielder no doubt about it. Whether he ever comes close to reaching that however is very suspect at this time. Several years ago the Marlins would have never dreamed of trading him. His stock is fairly low and although he wouldn't be my first option as JD's replacement I would definitely welcome a trade to bring him here for the right price. The problem of course is the Marlins are a tough trade partner. It seems they rarely "lose" on deals they make. Realistically, the Marlins would probably ask for a player + pitcher package. They don't need Danks; their OF looks solid for the next 10 years already. Hermida is also not worth either Flowers, Viciedo or Hudson IMO so I don't even know what they'd ask from us.

I was thinking more in the lines of Fields or a talented unproven arm like Link or Nunez. They want the salary dump so as long as they get decent talent in return they would be happy. IMO

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
I was thinking more in the lines of Fields or a talented unproven arm like Link or Nunez. They want the salary dump so as long as they get decent talent in return they would be happy. IMO

Fields has proven he sucks and Link and Nunez are bullpen arms. They are going to command a good prospect or two for Hermida if they indeed move him.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 12:48 PM)

Except this isnt a salary dump so they'll actually need to get quality in return.

If we traded Fields (plus someone else) for Hermida...

I wonder if it might just be the first time in baseball history that two guys who each hit homeruns in their first major league at-bat were traded for each other.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
Hermida is completely over-rated.

Is this what's going to be all offseason?

X team is going to trade X player, lets get him.

Honestly, what else is their to do? We've got solid discussion going on about both the AFL and Getz/Nix thing. We've got another thread lying in wait for a Beckham ROY reaction, and we're all waiting for the World Series to end so we can get into the juicy offseason details. And really, i'm pretty talked out over Alejandro De Aza at this point

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 10:19 AM)
Except this isnt a salary dump so they'll actually need to get quality in return.

If he makes 4 mill a year it is a bit of a salary dump. Yes he has potential, but he has failed to live up to it thus far, just like Fields has.

I certainly wouldn't trade Danks for Hermida.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
Hermida isn't the answer. Mark Kotsay is likely to outperform Hermida in 2010. The sox need a lefty bat who can also play above avg. defense. Might as well wait until Jordan Danks is ready than trade some talent for Hermida.

If it's only Fields and Torres (well maybe not Torres, but another Lance Broadway-type of guy) that we would have to give up to get Hermida then I'm all for it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
If he makes 4 mill a year it is a bit of a salary dump. Yes he has potential, but he has failed to live up to it thus far, just like Fields has.

I certainly wouldn't trade Danks for Hermida.

He made about 2.1M this past year IIRC. In arbitration I doubt that goes up past 3M considering it wasnt a great year. The Marlins OF is crowded but that is still a manageable price tag for them to keep him. They may want to trade him b/c of his salary but they won't give him away b/c of it. And even at 4M the tools that guy has he could easily become a bargain.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)
Hermida isn't the answer. Mark Kotsay is likely to outperform Hermida in 2010. The sox need a lefty bat who can also play above avg. defense. Might as well wait until Jordan Danks is ready than trade some talent for Hermida.

Ok well that's just a gross exaggeration.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 08:25 AM)
He made about 2.1M this past year IIRC. In arbitration I doubt that goes up past 3M considering it wasnt a great year. The Marlins OF is crowded but that is still a manageable price tag for them to keep him. They may want to trade him b/c of his salary but they won't give him away b/c of it. And even at 4M the tools that guy has he could easily become a bargain.

4M might turn into a bargain or it might turn into 4M that could have went towards the Sox fixing the pen or something along those lines that I consider much more important. Hermida is a non-tender candidate and to suggest trading Danks (a guy with tons of tools himself who hasn't yet flopped at the major league level) for a guy who has flopped so to speak at the major league level and makes a few mill more would be foolish.

Josh Fields is in a similar spot to Hermida and my offer wouldn't go much higher than Josh Fields (ie, I'd add a pitcher with the ability to play in the majors, but none that I thought that had the ability to be an above average piece). So Torres would be fine, even though I think he'll have some value for the Sox potentially as a long-reliever.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)
4M might turn into a bargain or it might turn into 4M that could have went towards the Sox fixing the pen or something along those lines that I consider much more important. Hermida is a non-tender candidate and to suggest trading Danks (a guy with tons of tools himself who hasn't yet flopped at the major league level) for a guy who has flopped so to speak at the major league level and makes a few mill more would be foolish.

Josh Fields is in a similar spot to Hermida and my offer wouldn't go much higher than Josh Fields (ie, I'd add a pitcher with the ability to play in the majors, but none that I thought that had the ability to be an above average piece). So Torres would be fine, even though I think he'll have some value for the Sox potentially as a long-reliever.

Oh i'm not proposing Danks for Hermida (I don't know if Florida would even want him for one) but I just don't think a package like Fields + Nunez/Link/Torres would get it done. If they are dead set on trading him some team will offer them something good.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
Oh i'm not proposing Danks for Hermida (I don't know if Florida would even want him for one) but I just don't think a package like Fields + Nunez/Link/Torres would get it done. If they are dead set on trading him some team will offer them something good.

If another team wants to overpay for a guy the Marlins don't need, then let them. Offer what would be fair value from us, and if someone wants to beat that number then we're better off keeping what we have and letting the other guy overpay.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
If another team wants to overpay for a guy the Marlins don't need, then let them. Offer what would be fair value from us, and if someone wants to beat that number then we're better off keeping what we have and letting the other guy overpay.

Exactly. If someone offers more fine, there mistake. He's not much different than what Willy Mo Pena was a few years back. Thats not to say Hermida goes the way of Pena, but the bottom line is he's looking for a 2nd chance and guys with tools looking for a 2nd chance are typically much less valuable.

Add in a 3-4M contract and there are a lot of reasons why I wouldn't be all that intrigued, especially if you have to give up talent. Plus given where the Sox are (with holes at DH and OF), I wouldn't be all that opposed to holding onto a guy like Josh Fields cause if push comes to shove I still think he'll be able to hit 20 Hr's a season for some team.

He just has major flaws that will prevent him from being a very good player. He still deserves a shot somewhere, imo and if a team were smart they'd lowball the Sox for Fields. And not a contending team, Fields needs a year on a s***ty club where he can just play and iron things out.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)

Hermida had an OPS of .729 in 2008 and an OPS of .740 in 2009. Kotsay had an OPS of .783 with the sox. It's not that much of a stretch to say Kotsay may out hit HErmida in 2010. Hermida hasn't for power for 2 yrs. And his defense isn't good.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 03:53 PM)
Hermida had an OPS of .729 in 2008 and an OPS of .740 in 2009. Kotsay had an OPS of .783 with the sox. It's not that much of a stretch to say Kotsay may out hit HErmida in 2010. Hermida hasn't for power for 2 yrs. And his defense isn't good.

That wonderful 127 PA sample size aside Kotsay is 8 years older, also a poor outfielder and hasn't posted a .320+ wOBA season since 2005 meanwhile Hermida has posted wOBA's of .372, .321 and .329 since 2007 when he played his first full season in the majors at age 23. If I had to put money on who would be the more productive bat in 2010 I know who I'd put my money on and it's not the 34 year old who I doubt would even hold up physically if given a full season's worth of PA.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
That wonderful 127 PA sample size aside Kotsay is 8 years older, also a poor outfielder and hasn't posted a .320+ wOBA season since 2005 meanwhile Hermida has posted wOBA's of .372, .321 and .329 since 2007 when he played his first full season in the majors at age 23. If I had to put money on who would be the more productive bat in 2010 I know who I'd put my money on and it's not the 34 year old who I doubt would even hold up physically if given a full season's worth of PA.

My main point was that as a 1 year stop gap, until Danks is ready, Hermida isn't worth the price in terms of talent. While I wasn't talking about having Kotsay as a starter, he would be a better fit for the sox as a part time player, who could play an occasional RF, and see time at 1b, and prob. post better numbers than Hermida [albiet with less PA's, as Kotsay isn't a fulltime player anymore].

I've talked before about seeing what Coco Crisp is looking at in terms of $, and if the price is right, a 1 yr deal wouldn't be bad. He would allow the sox flexibility in the OF, with the ability to play LF and CF, with Quentin DHing, and Rios moving to RF at times.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
My main point was that as a 1 year stop gap, until Danks is ready, Hermida isn't worth the price in terms of talent. While I wasn't talking about having Kotsay as a starter, he would be a better fit for the sox as a part time player, who could play an occasional RF, and see time at 1b, and prob. post better numbers than Hermida [albiet with less PA's, as Kotsay isn't a fulltime player anymore].

I've talked before about seeing what Coco Crisp is looking at in terms of $, and if the price is right, a 1 yr deal wouldn't be bad. He would allow the sox flexibility in the OF, with the ability to play LF and CF, with Quentin DHing, and Rios moving to RF at times.

Now you've used the word probable and that just strikes me as foolish.

Regardless of what your original point was there's no good reason for me to believe Kotsay will outproduce Hermida in 2010 given that it's been 6 years since he eclipsed Hermida's 2009 wOBA.