Marlins will attempt to trade Jeremy Hermida

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
Why don't we just try and develop our own players from the system instead of trading for every non-performing prospect of any othr org?

Yes because those sorts of deals never work out for the Sox.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
That wonderful 127 PA sample size aside Kotsay is 8 years older, also a poor outfielder and hasn't posted a .320+ wOBA season since 2005 meanwhile Hermida has posted wOBA's of .372, .321 and .329 since 2007 when he played his first full season in the majors at age 23. If I had to put money on who would be the more productive bat in 2010 I know who I'd put my money on and it's not the 34 year old who I doubt would even hold up physically if given a full season's worth of PA.

Yo K, I understand what wOBA is. What's considered below average, average and above average?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 06:49 PM)
Yo K, I understand what wOBA is. What's considered below average, average and above average?

It was designed with OBP standards in mind so .400 is great, .340 is about average and .300 is poor. The league average last season was .329 and has fallen around .330 for the past decade.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 11:01 PM)
Now you've used the word probable and that just strikes me as foolish.Regardless of what your original point was there's no good reason for me to believe Kotsay will outproduce Hermida in 2010 given that it's been 6 years since he eclipsed Hermida's 2009 wOBA.

Good to hear

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
Why don't we just try and develop our own players from the system instead of trading for every non-performing prospect of any othr org?

This isn't about developing our own guys...this is about buying low on a guy who has a lot of tools and hoping some new coaching and a change of scenery will pay off.

The guy also happens to fill a need we have, in an offseason where expensive veterans are probably not an option for us.

I'm not one of these guys that drools over Hermida, but at the right price, why not? If it truly could be done for Fields and a mediocre arm, why not? Obviously, for $4 million, it isn't completely without risk, but we tend to do alright bringing in talented guys who have failed elsewhere and turning them into productive players.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
A non-prospect, but he's not going to be dealt to Florida for Hermida unless he's a throw in.

Fields would probably not work as the main piece, but I don't believe he would be a throw-in either. Fields is still a former 1st rounder, he did have a twenty home run season not so far back in the rearview mirror, and he fits the Marlins budget well. I think Josh would be piece 1a to go along with a piece 1 going from the White Sox to the Fish.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Nov 1, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
Who is a better defender: Hermida or Ross?

Anyone have some sort of sick pain fetish and watch the Marlins this year?

I live in SoFla and can tell you that Ross is a tremendously better outfielder than Hermida.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Nov 1, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
Who is a better defender: Hermida or Ross?

Anyone have some sort of sick pain fetish and watch the Marlins this year?

In the "By Fans, For Fans" poll Ross is currently rated a 3.94 out of 5 (2nd highest on the team) and Hermida a 2.26 (lowest rated everyday RF in baseball).

I'll be upset if we don't go after Cody Ross. He's such a perfect target for us. He's affordable, good, young, and shouldn't cost a ton in trade chips. Trade for Ross and bring back Kotsay. That way we always have a strong defensive OF because when Rios needs a day off Ross can cover CF, and when Ross needs a day off Kotsay can take RF. Makes too much sense to me.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 1, 2009 -> 08:27 PM)
I'll be upset if we don't go after Cody Ross. He's such a perfect target for us. He's affordable, good, young, and shouldn't cost a ton in trade chips. Trade for Ross and bring back Kotsay. That way we always have a strong defensive OF because when Rios needs a day off Ross can cover CF, and when Ross needs a day off Kotsay can take RF. Makes too much sense to me.

Why do people continue to think the Fish are just going to give Ross away? Don't you think they realize he is affordable, good, and young?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 02:32 AM)
Why do people continue to think the Fish are just going to give Ross away? Don't you think they realize he is affordable, good, and young?

I think the simple burden of a Florida OF logjam, and the future need to pay the guy will eventually drive him out.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
I don't think they're going to just give him away, but I think he could be had without us having to give up our best pieces.

I think it depends whether or not the Marlins think Stanton will be ready next year. If they think he is or will be by June they might trade him, but as of now the Marlins do plan on competing and if you had to pencil in their OF as is Ross would be starting alongside Coghlan and Maybin.