Could Dye return in '10?

southsider2k5

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...p;vkey=news_cws

By all accounts, Jermaine Dye seems to be gone. Is there any chance that he comes back as a designated hitter? I would love to see a more athletic right fielder but would hate to see Dye go.

-- Bert, Northlake, Ill.

Your opinion about losing Dye has been felt and expressed throughout the organization, Bert. Dye has stood out as a first-class individual, a steady clubhouse leader and an extremely productive middle-of-the-order hitter since 2005. Yes, Dye had what he termed as one of his worst career slumps in the second half of the 2009 season, but I still don't believe that a healthy Dye suddenly has lost the ability to hit the ball.

With all of this deserved praise factored in, I just don't see Dye coming back to the White Sox -- especially at the $12 million that his mutual option currently dictates. He could return as the team's designated hitter, possibly on a one-year deal, but I see that spot being filled more by a rotation of players, as opposed to having a front-line singular presence such as Jim Thome served for parts of four seasons. And Dye certainly should draw deeper attention on the open market, so he has to weigh those offers against his desire to stay in Chicago and his potential role on the South Side.

You know KW has already developed his offseason game plan. I wonder what it is. The team needs some fixin.

I wonder if they'll have the courtesy to tell Dye right away that he's not to be re-signed.

It'd give him a chance to look elsewhere right away. Some enterprising reporter would be smart to get that story first. You would think KW has already decided whether Dye will be part of the team or not. KW has had a lot of time to work on his future blueprint.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
If the market turns slow for Dye I could see the clubs finding a way to bring him back at a reduced rate to play as our primary DH with maybe 20% of the games in the field.

My biggest problem with JD as primary DH is that it leaves us way too right handed-heavy in the middle of the lineup. Thome or Johnson flat out fits this team better with Quentin, Konerko, Rios, Beckham, Alexei being the likely middle of the order hitters. Sign me a LH hitting LF for the middle of the order and maybe we can talk, but I'm not sure we have a lot of options there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
My biggest problem with JD as primary DH is that it leaves us way too right handed-heavy in the middle of the lineup. Thome or Johnson flat out fits this team better with Quentin, Konerko, Rios, Beckham, Alexei being the likely middle of the order hitters. Sign me a LH hitting LF for the middle of the order and maybe we can talk, but I'm not sure we have a lot of options there.

I agree with you that the Sox need to get a lefty for the middle of the order. My question is who that would be, but if the Sox could acquire a lefty bat for the middle spot of the order that can play the outfield, Dye wouldn't be that bad.

I still think the Sox might move Konerko which would open up another position where the club could potentially find a lefty bat.

I really think the Sox have a few big name pieces they are going to move and I see this off-season going down much like the 2004 off-season where we move some bigger name guys and use the money to fill our holes and make us a solid all around club. Take a flyer on a guy or two that has tools and has been solid and hope they blow-up a bit and rely heavily on our pitching.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
If the market turns slow for Dye I could see the clubs finding a way to bring him back at a reduced rate to play as our primary DH with maybe 20% of the games in the field.

that

Also the Sox may spend more money then you all think . I mean no one here knows what there going to do or how much there budget will be . I for one would think they would spend more this year because they have a strong rotation . But i don't know either but to try and fill out a lineup and fix the bullpen on the cheap with the rotation we have would be stupid because if they win in the long run they will make money .

Edited by 1977 sox fan

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
Also the Sox may spend more money then you all think . I mean no one here knows what there going to do or how much there budget will be . I for one would think they would spend more this year because they have a strong rotation . But i don't know either but to try and fill out a lineup and fix the bullpen on the cheap with the rotation we have would be stupid because if they win in the long run they will make money .

Anyone who has followed the finanaces and history of this team, can get pretty accurately close to where the payroll will be next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 10:18 PM)
The first part for sure, the second part maybe.

Dye is a great individual to have on a team. I also think JD knows that the present option at $12M is unrealistic and he said he would be willing to give a hometown discount. But, let's not insult the fella either.

Even though he'd obviously have to play the field, I think he would be a good fit with an NL team, maybe the Giants.

The people on here who claim Dye is the worst thing in right field since a statue would disagree. No way should Dye ever step foot in an outfield again they probably would say. I wouldn't mind a change and trying somebody besides Dye. We are going to miss his production, though, meaning his 'usual' production, not that second half lousiness. Our lineup and bullpen need some huge tinkering or we are again not a .500 team next year.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
Dye is a great individual to have on a team. I also think JD knows that the present option at $12M is unrealistic and he said he would be willing to give a hometown discount. But, let's not insult the fella either.

No one is going to offer him more than half of what he got last year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 12:27 PM)
The people on here who claim Dye is the worst thing in right field since a statue would disagree. No way should Dye ever step foot in an outfield again they probably would say. I wouldn't mind a change and trying somebody besides Dye. We are going to miss his production, though, meaning his 'usual' production, not that second half lousiness. Our lineup and bullpen need some huge tinkering or we are again not a .500 team next year.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

You're right though. Our current team as it stands is not good enough to compete with those juggernaut 2010 Twins and Tigers teams. I hear the Tigers are going to bring back Adam Everett and the great Orlando Cabrera might even return to Minnesota for - get this - a full season. The Indians are going to be a force too when Matt Laporta makes up for the Lee, Sabathia, and VMart deals all by himself, and 2010 should be the dreaded Year of the Hochevar. I know, my knees are shaking too. Kenny better hurry up and overpay for a veteran in decline to DH and a couple spotty relievers or else we're doomed.