Cubs Press Conference

Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
This is fluffiest bunch of Cubs loving I've ever heard. Between all the BS, I heard "yes, ticket prices will go up."

Was Dave Kaplan weeping tears of joy and hugging everyone in sight?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
This is fluffiest bunch of Cubs loving I've ever heard. Between all the BS, I heard "yes, ticket prices will go up."

What I heard was:

"2010 roster will be same as 2009 minus Bradley, so you'll pay more to watch the same underperforming bunch as last year."

"I'm not going to fire Crane Kenney, Jim Hendry, or Lou until after they underperform again in 2010."

"The Wrigley experience must be preserved at all costs for generations to come, so what matter most is sitting in the sun drinking beer, not winning championships".

In short, 100% status quo and business as usual.

The Southside will remain the home of championship baseball in Chicago. We have nothing to worry about.

The Yankees proved this year that you can build a new stadium, even if the other is cherished historically, and still draw fans. If you are the Cubs, why don't you build a new stadium, make it look exactly like Wrigley Field, and then actually be playing in a state of the art stadium, rather than in a piece of s***?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 1, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
The Yankees proved this year that you can build a new stadium, even if the other is cherished historically, and still draw fans. If you are the Cubs, why don't you build a new stadium, make it look exactly like Wrigley Field, and then actually be playing in a state of the art stadium, rather than in a piece of s***?

The problem is that the location is most of the draw. Just building a stadium isn't enough. I can't imagine the locals there would allow another stadium built in that area, and Wrigley has landmark status so it can't be torn down.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 1, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)

That would be far too smart, rational and logical. The state-of-mind of Cubs fans/owners doesn't tolerate this type of thinking.

Leave it to the Cubs to have a falling-down stadium with a corporate name on it that they get no money from...

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 1, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
The problem is that the location is most of the draw. Just building a stadium isn't enough. I can't imagine the locals there would allow another stadium built in that area, and Wrigley has landmark status so it can't be torn down.

There is no where around there to even do it. It is so densely packed in that it is impossible.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 1, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)

Because they cant tear down a landmark. My best guess: Wrigley Field Lincolnshire is only 10 years away.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Nov 1, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
That would be far too smart, rational and logical. The state-of-mind of Cubs fans/owners doesn't tolerate this type of thinking.

Leave it to the Cubs to have a falling-down stadium with a corporate name on it that they get no money from...

Actually, that would be profoundly business-stupid. Wrigley Field is Wrigleyville. They have to stay there. They may rebuild in place - probably they will have to, eventually - but moving somewhere else would be business suicide.

Yankee Stadium is in an area that is mostly a dump anyway, and STILL drew big numbers, so they could pretty much do what they wanted, so long as they stayed in the city.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
Because they cant tear down a landmark. My best guess: Wrigley Field Lincolnshire is only 10 years away.

I'll take that bet every day and twice on Sunday. Ricketts said, smartly, they will renovate bit by bit over time. and even if eventually they had no choice but to gut it, they'd just gut it out one year some place else and rebuild in that same spot. That is the only smart move here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 1, 2009 -> 08:56 PM)
There is no where around there to even do it. It is so densely packed in that it is impossible.

You can buy up and tear down buildings. I've never been to the Bronx, but I can't imagine they built the new stadium without clearing space (of course, the Bronx isn't as nice as Wrigleyville), but I could be wrong.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 06:42 PM)
You can buy up and tear down buildings. I've never been to the Bronx, but I can't imagine they built the new stadium without clearing space (of course, the Bronx isn't as nice as Wrigleyville), but I could be wrong.

Think for a moment about the cost involved in buying up 4 to 6 square blocks in Wrigleyville - you are probably talking low 9 figures. Also, that is assuming you even COULD buy that much contiguous property in that area, which is probably not even possible. The Cubs are not a government agency, they can't use eminent domain to do it. It would be basically impossible to do, all things considered, in that neighborhood.

The only logical path for them to take is to do small renovations over time, and then when they have no other choice, rebuild it in place.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 07:55 AM)
Think for a moment about the cost involved in buying up 4 to 6 square blocks in Wrigleyville - you are probably talking low 9 figures. Also, that is assuming you even COULD buy that much contiguous property in that area, which is probably not even possible. The Cubs are not a government agency, they can't use eminent domain to do it. It would be basically impossible to do, all things considered, in that neighborhood.

The only logical path for them to take is to do small renovations over time, and then when they have no other choice, rebuild it in place.

Actually according to our Supreme Court, that doesn't matter anymore.