Hawks vs Bulls

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
I went out tonight with the boys to watch Hawks/Bulls/WS, and we talked about who is more popular right now in the city. While I do have a bias, there is just more overall interest in hockey right now.

If the Bulls keep beating good teams.. that will drastically change. I'm getting into hockey more, but I'll always be a basketball guy (baseball/football as well) first. As much as hockey is back in Chicago, there's just more of a bigger base out there for basketball especially for mixed groups. (though none of them beats the baseball season for any of my friends and even football is up there if the Bears are legit.)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 11:07 PM)
If the Bulls keep beating good teams.. that will drastically change. I'm getting into hockey more, but I'll always be a basketball guy (baseball/football as well) first. As much as hockey is back in Chicago, there's just more of a bigger base out there for basketball especially for mixed groups. (though none of them beats the baseball season for any of my friends and even football is up there if the Bears are legit.)

The problem with Hawks "fans" right now is 2/3 of the bandwagon started watching last year and doesn't know s*** about hockey.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
Mixed groups I agree. Basketball is just out for public consumption more than the NHL is, so chances are when you are in a group, people are just more exposed to basketball.

However, right now, there is just more of a want for hockey than basketball in the city of Chicago.

And I suppose the Hawks are definite Stanley Cup contenders, while the Bulls will be fighting just to make the playoffs, so that's obviously going to make a difference right there.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 10:18 PM)
Mixed groups I agree. Basketball is just out for public consumption more than the NHL is, so chances are when you are in a group, people are just more exposed to basketball.

However, right now, there is just more of a want for hockey than basketball in the city of Chicago.

This isn't true at all. Nobody outside of hardcore hockey fans (and there aren't that many) gives a s*** about hockey in this city. That's just fact. Hockey in no way has the ability to draw the casual/bandwagon fan. For every 10 people, you might find 1 that can name 5 players from the Blackhawks.

Edited by Jordan4life

I'm embarrassed to admit I could only name 1 player,goalie Javi Boulin(something like that)...there's a black guy too,a youngster that's suppossed to be the s*** and that dude they brought in from Detroit.

Oh and Jonathan Toews,but I remember him mostly because a poster here has him in his sig...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 03:20 AM)
This isn't true at all. Nobody outside of hardcore hockey fans (and there aren't that many) gives a s*** about hockey in this city. That's just fact. Hockey in no way has the ability to draw the casual/bandwagon fan. For every 10 people, you might find 1 that can name 5 players from the Blackhawks.

The Hawks out drew the Bulls last year. Try again.

Bears, Cubs, Bulls, White Sox, Blackhawks. That's the order of interest of this city. Hockey is the last on 95% of people's minds. The bar I went to last night was 5-1 bulls game over the hawks game.

As for the game last night, if the bulls can stay that balanced, they'll be a dangerous team. They made 3 3-pointers and shot 41%. Just real cold in the first half. Despite not having an old veteran, I think the team can throw enough bodies at teams to wear them down over the course of the game. As Doug Collins said (is it just me or is he the best analyst/commentator the NBA has? There's no one close), the defense is going to determine how far they can go.

I think getting past the 1st round is the goal this year. Then bring Wade in for the title run!

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 09:00 AM)
Bears, Cubs, Bulls, White Sox, Blackhawks. That's the order of interest of this city.

I agree with this, especially the first two. For the longest time, the last was also definitely true by a mile. These days, however, I get the sense that the popularity of the last three is a little bit more in flux, depending on the fortunes of the team at any particular time.

I don't go to sportsbars much anymore, but from what I remember, the ratio of sets tuned to a particular game can vary alot by establishment and location, so a 5 to 1 ratio at one bar on one evening (NBA opening night, no less) may not be as telling as it seems.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

Basketball will always be more popular than hockey in this city. What the blackhawks are doing is nice, but the Bulls are by far the more popular team. Also hockey fans tend to be more affluent so attendance may not be the greatest factor. Look at the tv ratings.

Basketball will always be more popular than hockey in this city. What the blackhawks are doing is nice, but the Bulls are by far the more popular team. Also hockey fans tend to be more affluent so attendance may not be the greatest factor. Look at the tv ratings.

The more popular team? Sorry, the Hawks are the best team in the UC bar none.

And quit with your hate on hockey. You act like basketball is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

QUOTE (Willy52 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)

And quit with your hate on hockey. You act like basketball is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

welcome to soxtalk.

Now backerdown a bit

Very Impressive opening night win by the Bullies!!!! Noah/Thomas/Gibson/Miller combo will be key to how far this team can go. Not sold on this group yet for our frontline, but they played well in game 1 at least.

As for the Hawks/Bulls, NHL/NBA debate. The Bulls just have a much greater mass appeal. The Hawks and hockey in general is a niche sport that has a very loyal fanbase, but nowhere near the citywide or countrywide appeal of the National Basketball Association.

Just because they're the "best" doesn't mean they're more popular.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)

Chicago is a basketball town, much more basketball played by youths at a higher level. There is also less appeal across racial and economic factions. The hawks are extremely popular and fans will pack the stadium, but the Bulls will be watched by more people.

I never said I hate hockey. It's not my thing. Just saying that the Bulls are way ahead of the hawks in terms of popularity. Even last year when everyone knew that the hawks had a better chance than the bulls of going further in the playoffs, the bulls were all anyone was talking about while they were in the playoffs. At least from from my perspective.

Welcome to Soxtalk!! :gosox3:

If there were a lot of people talking about the Bulls...it could also be because there were 7 bloody overtimes in that series.

Btw, whoever wants to commit a flagrant against Rondo tonight, as long as it's not done in the 3rd overtime, I won't complain one bit.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 09:03 PM)
I went out tonight with the boys to watch Hawks/Bulls/WS, and we talked about who is more popular right now in the city. While I do have a bias, there is just more overall interest in hockey right now.

I hate to say this, but you guys are absolutely nuts if you think the Hawks have a bigger overall following than the Bulls. Basketball is a much much much more popular sport and while Bhawks hockey is rejuvanated and the fan base is coming to life it still doesn't have near the viewership or popularity as the Bulls.

I think you all are underrating the popularity of the Blackhawks right now.

Comcast SportsNet, the television and online home for the most games and most comprehensive coverage of the NHL Western Conference/Central Division first place Chicago Blackhawks, delivered its highest Blackhawks regular season ratings ever last night (Wed, October 14) -- a 2.70 household rating for its live coverage of the Blackhawks home ice battle against the Edmonton Oilers.

For last night’s third-straight home ice victory by the Blackhawks, Comcast SportsNet attracted approx. 94,300 households for the entire game and posted a 3.3 peak rating during the 8:00 PM quarter-hour (over 115,260 households). The 2.70 single game regular season ratings record on Comcast SportsNet is the regional sports network’s highest Blackhawks regular season game rating since March 27, 2009, when the Blackhawks hosted the New Jersey Devils (2.13 household rating). Source for all ratings information is provided by Nielsen Media Research overnights.

Comcast SportsNet was also the #1-highest rated television network in the Chicago market last night in the demos of Men 18-49 & Men 25-54 for the entire length of the game (7:30-10:00 PM). Comcast SportsNet was also #2 overall in the market in the key advertiser demo of Adults 25-54 from 9:00-10:00 PM.

For the season, their viewership bests our loveable White Sox of 2009. Sure, they aren't to the level of the Bulls, but I read earlier in this thread that 95% of the city has the Blackhawks at the back of their mindset, and that's just false.

It's not that the Hawks are just "popular", they are popular on an epic level. They had the highest TV ratings in the NHL last year and the highest attendance in the league as well. This team is no joke, and for hockey haters to dismiss it as nothing but a fad or as something that can't approach the Bulls at any point is a tad annoying. (note, not talking to the folks who simply state the Bulls are a better television draw, so don't misinterpret, because that fact is proven by more than double later on in this post)

The Blackhawks had their highest ever regular season ratings last year, and that number is spiking even more this year. To just dismiss it is a bad idea.

However, for the actual numbers, yes, Chicago is a basketball town before hockey, and it'll take a long run of Blackhawks' ass-kicking to change that. Even last year when the buzz was high and the Bulls were "meh" for most of the season, the tv ratings were as follows.

Attendance

Bulls: 21,003 (96.7%)

Blackhawks: 22,495 (114.7%)

TV Ratings

Bulls: 2.3

Blackhawks: 1.1

link

Still, out-drawing the Bulls at home is an accomplishment in and of itself by percentage, let alone by total over 41 games given the UC seats more during a Bulls game than a Hawks game.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)
Does the number of seats in the arena change depending on how the floor is set up?

Yes, the UC seats more during a Bulls game. They bring in seats that would be on the ice during a Hawks game. That's why the disparity in seats-sold percentage is so high (114% vs 96%) despite the lower disparity in actual seats sold/attendance numbers (difference of only 1,400).

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 09:49 AM)
Following and interest are two different things. At this point we are sort of talking semantics, but in terms of what people want to hear/talk about, right now there is a bigger want for hockey coverage than basketball in Chicago.

I'll never argue that there are more hockey fans than basketball fans. It's not true. The NBA is just a more powerful entity.

There are more fans of the Bulls and fans of the Bulls are interested in there team. Are they as excited about there team as the Blackhawks, probably not, but thats because the Bulls aren't title contenders.

But you guys are mistaken if you think that means hockey is more popular or the Hawks are the talk of Chicago, imo. They are the talk amongst the big time hockey fan and the new casual hockey fan but ultimately its a niche sport.