Hawks vs Bulls

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
Is baseball a niche sport? The Blackhawks have higher tv ratings than the White Sox this year.

No, but you are comparing the Blackhawks to the cities 2nd favorite baseball team (its our favorite). Compare the Cubs and Blackhawks ratings. Or add the Sox and Cubs viewership and compare them. It would be impossible.

Or compare the White Sox playoff ratings to the Blackhawks playoff ratings (our run to the World Series vs there run). Add into the fact that our games weren't in prime-time all that often.

I think the Blackhawks are experiencing a rebirth, a new surge in popularity just like the Sox in 06. It will even out, but that doesnt make it less impressive.

All this does is further prove that if a professional sport franchise puts a competitive team on the field/court then fans will come out to support it in large numbers, it has nothing to do with popularity of one team over another.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 12:00 PM)
No, but you are comparing the Blackhawks to the cities 2nd favorite baseball team (its our favorite). Compare the Cubs and Blackhawks ratings. Or add the Sox and Cubs viewership and compare them. It would be impossible.

That's just a cop-out. Blackhawks vs. White Sox is a perfectly acceptable comparison and you can't use the Cubs as an excuse. I don't consider the White Sox a niche, and I don't consider the Blackhawks a niche. Hell, last night I attended a wine-tasting, and the game that was on was the Blackhawks, not the Bulls.

It's not as black & white as you're making it out to be.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
Is baseball a niche sport? The Blackhawks have higher tv ratings than the White Sox this year.

And since you asked whether baseball is a Niche Sport:

NHL Revenue (Including PostSeason) Last Year: ~2.8B (all time high)

MLB Revenue for 2008 (Excluding Post-Season: 6.5B (all time high)

NFL Revenue for 2008: 6.54B

NBA Revenue for 2008: 3.4B

That's just a cop-out. Blackhawks vs. White Sox is a perfectly acceptable comparison and you can't use the Cubs as an excuse. I don't consider the White Sox a niche, and I don't consider the Blackhawks a niche. Hell, last night I attended a wine-tasting, and the game that was on was the Blackhawks, not the Bulls.

Blackhawks v. Sox it not acceptable because of the reasons Chisoxfn already stated. The Blackhawks are the only hockey the team in the Chicago market.

As for whether hockey is niche, the better comparison is always going to be basketball.

Lastly, a wine tasting?

Thats not living the High Life.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)

Look, I'm not saying the Blackhawks aren't a great story. They are easily one of the 3 to 5 most popular hockey teams in the NHL right now and might very well be the most popular. However, the NHL doesn't compare with the NBA, let alone with MLB or NFL (which are two juggernauts, as you can see by the post I just made previously).

And while comparing the Sox to the Blackhawks there are a lot of things you have to factor in. A more fare comparison would be to compare the Sox to the Islanders (ie, the 2nd favorite team in the respected city for one sport vs the 2nd favorite team in one city for one sport).

I won't point the Sox out as a niche team because they aren't a part of the 4st most popular sport in America.

Now even if baseball was the 4th most popular sport, I wouldn't give a s*** and I'd just enjoy the hell out of my team (like you guys do the Hawks) but at the same time I wouldn't live in this delusional mindset that they are more popular than other teams/sports with far bigger fan bases with wide-scale popularity.

Hell, doing the research, I really was shocked by how damn powerful MLB really is. It isn't quite the NFL as the NFL is a complete an absolute juggernaut, but revenue wise they are close, with MLB reportedly passing them.

* All my numbers were based upon google searches.

* Note, I'm also not debating with you guys what is the better sport NBA or NHL. I'm simply stating which is more popular, that is all. To each there own. I get s*** from everyone I know for being such a die-hard baseball fan and I could care less, I love the sport, just like you guys love the NHL and thats all that f***ing matters.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
Lastly, a wine tasting?

Thats not living the High Life.

Tell me about it. The wife's boss was hosting it. Obviously I'd rather have been beating you again at Madden. We wound up being the top bidders in silent auction on a piece perfect for our dining room, though, so it worked out.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
* All my numbers were based upon google searches

Same here.

Everyone just assumes the Hawks are the city's red-headed stepchild (to that I take offense on multiple levels, :lolhitting ). In reality, I'd rank the city as follows... in my heart it's different.

Chicago Average: 1. Bears, 2a. Cubs, 2b. Bulls, 3. Blackhawks, 4. White Sox

Steve: 1a. White Sox, 1b. Blackhawks, 1c. Bears, 2 Bulls, 3. who?

Tell me about it. The wife's boss was hosting it. Obviously I'd rather have been beating you again at Madden. We wound up being the top bidders in silent auction on a piece perfect for our dining room, though, so it worked out.

No amount of Madden beatings will ever undo this statement:

We wound up being the top bidders in silent auction on a piece perfect for our dining room, though, so it worked out.

Something about you saying the "perfect piece for our dining room" just makes me laugh.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
Actually I agree hockey is a niche sport. It just is, and a lot of it has to do with the way it has marketed over the last 10 years. People don't see it on SportsCenter everynight, so they don't think it matters. That sounds overly simplistic, but that has a lot to do with it.

Also Jas, do you really think you are able to 100% accurately talk about what the "want" is in Chicago, living in Cali?

I listen to Chicago sports radio every day at work, run a Chicago message board, so I think I got an idea as to the pulse of the city. I do miss out on the day-to-day discussions I would have living in the area, but I would say that I have a pretty good pulse on Chicago in general.

And I'm not trying to hate. If you say there is more excitement around the Hawks than the Bulls, I'd completely agree. A bigger buzz, sure....are they more popular, probably not.

I've came to accept stuff like that and don't care whether my team is more popular...hell, the Sox won the 2005 World Series, we weren't more popular than the Cubs but who the f*** cares, we were the champs.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)

You had cleared yourself of mancard withholding when you said it was your wifes boss hosting the party, then you have to finish with this. Come on steve, you have to start leaving these things out of conversations.

These things can happen while you are married, but people dont need to know ;)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
These things can happen while you are married, but people dont need to know ;)

I have nothing to hide. I also watch Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives, the latter of which I think is absolutely hilarious.

Does this take away from the other things I enjoy (ie Sons of Anarchy, It's Always Sunny, the lovely taste of my wife's vagina, my ps3, the sox, blackhawks, bears, and bulls)?

Absolutely not!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
I have nothing to hide. I also watch Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives, the latter of which I think is absolutely hilarious.

Does this take away from the other things I enjoy (ie Sons of Anarchy, It's Always Sunny, the lovely taste of my wife's vagina, my ps3, the sox, blackhawks, bears, and bulls)?

Absolutely not!

sigh. refer to my previous post

LMAO

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)

Absolutely not!

Every man has there things that will get them ball-busted. I watch every episode of Gossip Girl.

XOXO

Chisoxfn's Man Card

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
Actually I agree hockey is a niche sport. It just is, and a lot of it has to do with the way it has marketed over the last 10 years. People don't see it on SportsCenter everynight, so they don't think it matters. That sounds overly simplistic, but that has a lot to do with it.

Also Jas, do you really think you are able to 100% accurately talk about what the "want" is in Chicago, living in Cali?

It is just based on what it takes to play hockey and the demographic that is exposed to hockey. Its kind of like Golf, Hockey is a way of life for only a small percentage of the country and basketball is something that EVERYONE is exposed to. Its hard to debate on here since this board is made up of a ton of die hard sports fans who appreciate hockey, but the fact is, basketball, especially in Chicago, is a more well liked and understood sport. I bet if we polled 10,000 sports fans in chicago, 90 percent would know what traveling is in basketball, but only a smaller percentage could explain icing.

I guess fans of the Fire can claim they are in the playoffs so they are the best talk in Chicago right now. Hey the Hawks may be the most interesting and up and coming team, but hockey is not in the same universe as basketball for the casual fan in Chicago. Now the hard core hockey fans are as diehard as they come, but it is a niche. I have many rabid sport fan friends, that can rattle off players and stat for NFL, NBA, MLB, franchises all day. Only about 25% of these can give you anything more then a couple guys throughout the NHL. These are sportnuts, the average casual fan is clueless about hockey at all. That is why endorsements and recognition in general is so little for NHL guys.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
I guess fans of the Fire can claim they are in the playoffs so they are the best talk in Chicago right now. Hey the Hawks may be the most interesting and up and coming team, but hockey is not in the same universe as basketball for the casual fan in Chicago. Now the hard core hockey fans are as diehard as they come, but it is a niche. I have many rabid sport fan friends, that can rattle off players and stat for NFL, NBA, MLB, franchises all day. Only about 25% of these can give you anything more then a couple guys throughout the NHL. These are sportnuts, the average casual fan is clueless about hockey at all. That is why endorsements and recognition in general is so little for NHL guys.

The Chicago Fire has fans?

I didn't even know they were in the playoffs or when a game is or anyone on their team. Can't even name one team in that league lol. But of course I'm not a soccer fan.

I'm same way as your rabid sports fans, when it comes to NFL, NBA and MLB I can name players and stats and am knowledgeable but know next to nothing when it comes to hockey. I blame it on the fact that the Blackhawks were never really regularly televised, otherwise I might have gotten into it. I want them to win but never can get overly excited when they score.

I don't know how to ask this without sounding ignorant. So I'll just go ahead and ask this question...Has anybody ever seen non white dude/dudes watching a hockey game? No joke. Have you ever gone into a sports bar and seen a bunch of brothas or latinos or any other minority sittin' around drunk yelling "GOAL!!!!!?"

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 06:39 PM)
Indeed it is. It replaced the OC and I honestly think it might just be better than the OC (a show that I loved).

When you have to question whether or not Leighton Meester is the hottest girl on a show, you know there is some eye candy on the screen. Also, did Blake Lively get implants? Mercy!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
Have you ever gone into a sports bar and seen a bunch of brothas or latinos or any other minority sittin' around drunk yelling "GOAL!!!!!?"

Why you gotta be dissin soccer like that? :P

Edited by SoxAce