Javier Vazquez Shopped by Braves?

elrockinMT

If you look at the Braves rotation, it makes the most sense to trade Javy. They aren't unhappy with him at all. In fact, they'd prefer to trade Lowe, but nobody is going to take on that contract. Javy is coming off a good year and has a reasonable contract (length and dollars). The Braves have a glut of pitching (including two very good young starters) but still really need a bat, preferably in the OF.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Nov 1, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
If you look at the Braves rotation, it makes the most sense to trade Javy. They aren't unhappy with him at all. In fact, they'd prefer to trade Lowe, but nobody is going to take on that contract. Javy is coming off a good year and has a reasonable contract (length and dollars). The Braves have a glut of pitching (including two very good young starters) but still really need a bat, preferably in the OF.

Is he still working under the contract signed with the Sox? My comment also or question on why he can't stick is really in some amazement on my part on the fact the guy is a real decent hurler yet seems to get traded

I say we give the Braves Lillibridge and Linebrink for Javy

The reason Javy probably doesn't stick anywhere is because he's horrendous in pressure sitatutions, but is pretty darn good any other time, as well as being well priced.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 1, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
Is he still working under the contract signed with the Sox? My comment also or question on why he can't stick is really in some amazement on my part on the fact the guy is a real decent hurler yet seems to get traded

Yep, he's still under the contract he signed with the Sox. He does move around alot for two reasons: cost and his inability to pitch under pressure. Montreal moved him for cost reasons, he couldn't cut it in NY, he wanted out of Arizona, and he couldn't cut it in Chicago. He's actually a good fit with the Braves (they seem to like him), but he's the most moveable piece they have (since they won't move Jurrjens or Hanson and they probably can't move Lowe or Kawakami) given his excellent 2009.

Javy has already played for 5 organizations, 4 of which are located east of the Mississippi, so the options of teams close to his home in Puerto Rico where he'll go to relax once he's retired are thinning out. I can't see the Braves trading him to the Mets or Phillies. The Yankees won't want him back. The Indians, Orioles, Blue Jays, Marlins, Pirates and Nats are probably out of the question. Tampa doesn't need extra starting pitching, and the Cubs and Reds probably don't have the money. My guess is the Red Sox, Tigers, Astros, or Brewers, but what hitters could the Braves get there? Corey Hart? Mike Lowell? Marcus Thames or Ryan Raburn? Carlos Lee and cash? Not a lot of great options there.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 1, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
I say we give the Braves Lillibridge and Linebrink for Javy

The reason Javy probably doesn't stick anywhere is because he's horrendous in pressure sitatutions, but is pretty darn good any other time, as well as being well priced.

not this year.

Javier Vazquez is a very good pitcher. But, we won't rtrade for him IMO not becasue as some say he choked when he needed to step up, but because he will command a good price. Javier did great with Bobby Cox who knows how to handle pitchers. Ozzie says he learned alot from Cox and maybe he has some more learning to do frfom Bobby Cox in regards to handling sensitive souls like Javier.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 1, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)
From Phil Rogers Article Today:

The Braves are expected to shop Javier Vazquez after signing Tim Hudson to a three-year contract extension

What can't this guy stick?

Because he's not very good. He has no place on the Sox, he belongs in the NL on a non-contending team.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 12:06 PM)
Javier Vazquez is a very good pitcher. But, we won't rtrade for him IMO not becasue as some say he choked when he needed to step up, but because he will command a good price. Javier did great with Bobby Cox who knows how to handle pitchers. Ozzie says he learned alot from Cox and maybe he has some more learning to do frfom Bobby Cox in regards to handling sensitive souls like Javier.

Ugh, how long are people going to keep on posting this stuff? Ozzie handled Javy just fine in 2007. Did Ozzie's personality suddenly change 180 degrees in 2008, or did Javy simply flunk under pressure like usual?

And why do people assume Javy even cares when his manager b****es him out. They interviewed the guy during his 2008 collapse and he didn't seem too worried. He said, "You know what? It’s not going to [change a lot of opinions] because I’m really the type of guy that when I retire, I’m going to be home in Puerto Rico with my family. I’m not looking to have to change minds if people feel that way."

If the Braves keep Javy, and they end up contending for the division in 2010, and if Javy once again blows when it counts, then guess who is going to be on Javy's ass? Bobby Cox isn't as psycho as Ozzie, but you're not going to find him babying ballplayers either.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 12:23 PM)
I like Javy, he's a dominant K-pitcher, but he pissed himself in big games, and i like Flowers more. No regrets.

I agree. Javy is a nice guy to have towards the back of a rotation, and he's worth his contract given his ability to dominate and eat innings, but you can't count on him when it matters. We received very good value out of Javy so there shouldn't be any regrets.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
I'd take him back. People say that Javy can't win big games. But he can certainly help us get to the big games. He's an innings eater. You have to get to the big games before you can win them.

Not a chance. We need to spend the money in other places that it will make a much bigger difference.

Apparently, Chipper Jones has been going around the Braves organization saying they need to keep Javy. Also, the young pitchers like him as he apparently has turned into a mentor, especially for Jair Jurjens(sp?). Who knows what happens though. They have too many good pitchers and the one that isn't all that great is Lowe, but he will be untradeable. And Hudson has more value to them than anyone else.