Let the stroking begin!

Kenny Hates Prospects

http://619sports.net/3353/hey-padres-do-not-deal-adrian/

So the San Diego Padres send out a ticket brochure to former season ticket holders for 2010 — and there isn’t a single photo anywhere in there of All-Star first baseman Adrian Gonzalez. First thought: Does that mean that the Padres plan on not having Adrian Gonzalez on their ballclub next season?

Seems like a fair question. After all, why in the world would the Padres try to sell tickets without so much as a mention of the one true superstar they have to sell? Would the ‘89 Padres have put out a season ticket brochure without a photo of Tony Gwynn? Five years ago, would the Friars have left out Trevor Hoffman? Or Jake Peavy?

The Red Sox will be tough to beat out, but I think they want Felix more, and they won't have enough to acquire both.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 01:34 PM)
No, put if we could move Paulie as part of a 3-team it might work.

Not that Danks and Floyd are untouchable. But I REALLY like our rotation for the next 3 years.

The fact that we should have a dominant rotation for the next few seasons is one reason that I believe that it would be a good idea to go after someone like Gonzalez. I doubt that the Padres would have any need for Pauly, with the exception of having him for a trading chip in July, and personally I wouldn't touch the rotation either. Other than Beckham though, anyone else on the major or minor league roster is fair game.

Padres fans have to know that they will be bad for a few years in the shape that they're currently in. I would think that the fans, at least the knowledgeable ones would see the benefit of trading Gonzales for prospects to brighten their future.

As always, JMHO.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 12:27 PM)
Just curious, would anyone trade Danks or Floyd straight up?

For Gonzalez, in a heartbeat. He's cheap and a star who could play every day.

It would take more than that though. And if we're just looking at prospects, we don't have the prospects to acquire Gonzalez. San Diego, presumably, already got a bunch of the guys they wanted from us for Peavy. I don't see how we could top the Red Sox offer. It would take Beckham and then some.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
http://619sports.net/3353/hey-padres-do-not-deal-adrian/

The Red Sox will be tough to beat out, but I think they want Felix more, and they won't have enough to acquire both.

I also don't think the Mariners are going to be trading Felix any time soon. It just depends on whether they revert back to the late 90s, early 2000s where they dealt Griff and Johnson and obviously couldn't resign ARod, or if they'll go with what they did recently by resigning Ichiro. The Mariners have control of him through 2011, so they have time to make a decision.

I think freddy has shown hes good enough to be our 4th starter (also i vaguely remember hearing about him only getting stronger next season) and the sox must see something in hudson because of the fact he was brought up to the bigs so I think and i think the sox think he could be the 5 next year so I would def trade either floyd or danks plus a josh fields (there backup 3B is the starting LF according to their depth chart)and some spects, if it takes tyler flowers which seeing as there catcher is henry blanco and nick hundley doesnt look all that great it prob will take him

An offense of 1. Pods? 2.Beckham 3. Q 4. Adrian 5.PK 6. AJ 7.Rios. 8. Lexi 9. Getz/Nix/CJ with a rotation of Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd/Danks, Garcia, Hudson. In the central will get us to the post season and once we get there we wont really need 5 studs like we would have now. Throwin out jake, buehrle, and floyd/danks could be all we need in the post season if they can go on 3 days rest and if they cant you got big game freddy right there and who knows what hudson could do.

So would i trade danks or floyd for him....in a heartbeat

They also have a ton of good arms in the pen that id try to get as well

Id try for

Floyd

Flowers

Fields

Cassel/Ely/Torres

For

Adrian

Joe thatcher/cesar ramos(id prefer one of those 2 since theyre leftys buttttt like i mentioned before they have a ton of good arms in that pen so id take any of em really, theyve got a couple arms in the minors that look to be ready for the bigs so they gotta make room right)

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
I also don't think the Mariners are going to be trading Felix any time soon. It just depends on whether they revert back to the late 90s, early 2000s where they dealt Griff and Johnson and obviously couldn't resign ARod, or if they'll go with what they did recently by resigning Ichiro. The Mariners have control of him through 2011, so they have time to make a decision.

If they can't hook Felix up long term, now is the time to deal him. We saw what the market for ace pitcher was with the deals for Peavy, and the proposals for Doc.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
I'd look to trade Paulie for a pitcher and a relief arm, and move Danksy and a few pieces for A-Gon. I find neither to be very probable.

You aren't going to get much in this market for a guy with a 12 million dollar salary coming off of a bad season at his age.

I'd trade anyone in the Sox system not named:

Beckham

Konerko

Pierzynski

Danks (I & II)

Floyd

Peavy

Garcia

Buehrle

Quentin

Rios (I'd trade him for AGon, but they wouldn't want him)

Thornton

Jenks

So if they wanted anything from Nix-Flowers-Hudson-Retherford-Torres-Morel-(anyone) I'd do it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
I'd trade anyone in the Sox system not named:

Beckham

Konerko

Pierzynski

Danks (I & II)

Floyd

Peavy

Garcia

Buehrle

Quentin

Rios (I'd trade him for AGon, but they wouldn't want him)

Thornton

Jenks

So if they wanted anything from Nix-Flowers-Hudson-Retherford-Torres-Morel-(anyone) I'd do it.

I dont even know how to respond to this...

You wouldnt trade Konerko or Garcia to get pieces for Gonzalez!? Or Jenks?

Edited by bigruss22

Here's how the chase for Gonzalez lines up IMO:

Definite suitors:

Red Sox - Have the goods, went after him before, want him bad.

Probable suitors:

White Sox - Will we part with enough? Fills several offseason needs in one fell swoop. A cheap impact implayer for probably the most aggressive GM in baseball.

Braves - Have Freeman coming up, but I think they'll go after him hard. They have the need. Can they make a deal without Hanson or Heyward?

Dodgers - Have the need. AGonz is better than Manny and Loney combined by a mile. Imagine a lineup of Gonzalez-Manny-Ethier-Kemp 3-6. Devastating.

Possible suitors:

Rays - This makes a lot of sense with Pena close to FA. A 3-way where Pena goes elsewhere would have the Rays actually cutting salary and improving the team. They have the pieces and are a serious darkhorse IMO.

Giants - Have the need and the pieces. Makes sense for them to join the mix.

Orioles - Seems unlikely, but I think they're a darkhorse. They've been trying to make a splash for a while now and have a big hole at 1B. They have the pieces, and tons of financial flexibility for a major extension.

Possible, but unlikely:

Yankees - They're here because they're the Yankees, but I don't think they'd give up enough for a DH since they have Tex at 1B. Plus AGonz probably wouldn't want to stick around to DH when he could be starting in the field elsewhere.

Rangers - Have the stuff to do the deal right now, but they won't be handing out an extension, and they're almost completely rebuilt, and they have Smoak on the way.

Angels - Not trading the world for a DH after Morales broke through for them.

Mets - I don't see them trading what they would have to in order to land Gonzalez. They'll look to spend for improvements.

Very unlikely:

Mariners - Rebuilding.

A's - Rebuilding.

Indians - Rebuilding.

Tigers - Can't trade the required pieces because they're bogged down with bad contracts.

Royals - Rebuilding.

Twins - Have Morneau and will concentrate on a Mauer extension this offseason.

Blue Jays - Rebuilding.

Phillies - Ryan Howard. Could they get in on Halladay again?

Nationals - Rebuilding.

Marlins - New park won't be ready until 2012 and Adrian is a FA after 2011.

Cubs - They're so f***ed with bad contracts that they're unable to deal cheap players. Not a chance. Plus they still have Lee.

Brewers - Prince, and their needs are SP.

Pirates - Rebuilding.

Cardinals - Pujols.

Reds - Alonso and Votto are already there and they should be looking for an OF.

Rockies - Helton, and they're not dealing their new core.

Diamondbacks - Rebuilding.

Astros - Berkman, and a deal wouldn't make any sense given all of their needs.

Padres' biggest needs (in order IMO): top-end SP, toolsy OF, C, top-end RP, 3B, 2B. They have Latos at the front of their future rotation, Cabrera at SS, Venable in a corner somewhere, and Blanks at 1B. Kouzmanoff, Bell, and Young shouldn't be factors because if AGonz is for sale, all of those guys will be too.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

I think that whoever offers the best SP prospects should get the deal done IMO.

The common favorite would be the Red Sox, but I can also see them hanging on to Buccholz, or, if they must include Buccholz, moving on to Seattle and looking to get Felix. If the Red Sox will not include Clay for a bat, then the Sox can beat their top SP by adding in Hudson IMO.

The most dangerous team here would be the Rays I think, if they're interested. The Rays could send out a rotation of Garza-Shields-Niemann while dealing 1 of Price/Davis/Hellickson and work in a third team to send prospects to the Padres for Pena. I doubt anyone could beat 1 of Price/Davis/Hellickson + Pena prospects + more. Why should the Rays consider that? They would cut about $6M off of their payroll in 2010, pick up Gonzalez at $5.5M in 2011 (Pena is a FA after 2010), and that would help them extend Crawford and Upton, if they want to keep both. The Rays also need a closer and could think about going after Heath Bell in the deal.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)
I dont even know how to respond to this...

You wouldnt trade Konerko or Garcia to get pieces for Gonzalez!? Or Jenks?

Bobby and Freddy were included because the Padres wouldn't take them.

And I wouldn't trade Paulie for anything, just because he's Paulie.