Let the stroking begin!

Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
Here's how the chase for Gonzalez lines up IMO:

Definite suitors:

Red Sox - Have the goods, went after him before, want him bad.

Probable suitors:

White Sox - Will we part with enough? Fills several offseason needs in one fell swoop. A cheap impact implayer for probably the most aggressive GM in baseball.

Braves - Have Freeman coming up, but I think they'll go after him hard. They have the need. Can they make a deal without Hanson or Heyward?

Dodgers - Have the need. AGonz is better than Manny and Loney combined by a mile. Imagine a lineup of Gonzalez-Manny-Ethier-Kemp 3-6. Devastating.

Possible suitors:

Rays - This makes a lot of sense with Pena close to FA. A 3-way where Pena goes elsewhere would have the Rays actually cutting salary and improving the team. They have the pieces and are a serious darkhorse IMO.

Giants - Have the need and the pieces. Makes sense for them to join the mix.

Orioles - Seems unlikely, but I think they're a darkhorse. They've been trying to make a splash for a while now and have a big hole at 1B. They have the pieces, and tons of financial flexibility for a major extension.

Possible, but unlikely:

Yankees - They're here because they're the Yankees, but I don't think they'd give up enough for a DH since they have Tex at 1B. Plus AGonz probably wouldn't want to stick around to DH when he could be starting in the field elsewhere.

Rangers - Have the stuff to do the deal right now, but they won't be handing out an extension, and they're almost completely rebuilt, and they have Smoak on the way.

Angels - Not trading the world for a DH after Morales broke through for them.

Mets - I don't see them trading what they would have to in order to land Gonzalez. They'll look to spend for improvements.

Very unlikely:

Mariners - Rebuilding.

A's - Rebuilding.

Indians - Rebuilding.

Tigers - Can't trade the required pieces because they're bogged down with bad contracts.

Royals - Rebuilding.

Twins - Have Morneau and will concentrate on a Mauer extension this offseason.

Blue Jays - Rebuilding.

Phillies - Ryan Howard. Could they get in on Halladay again?

Nationals - Rebuilding.

Marlins - New park won't be ready until 2012 and Adrian is a FA after 2011.

Cubs - They're so f***ed with bad contracts that they're unable to deal cheap players. Not a chance. Plus they still have Lee.

Brewers - Prince, and their needs are SP.

Pirates - Rebuilding.

Cardinals - Pujols.

Reds - Alonso and Votto are already there and they should be looking for an OF.

Rockies - Helton, and they're not dealing their new core.

Diamondbacks - Rebuilding.

Astros - Berkman, and a deal wouldn't make any sense given all of their needs.

Padres' biggest needs (in order IMO): top-end SP, toolsy OF, C, top-end RP, 3B, 2B. They have Latos at the front of their future rotation, Cabrera at SS, Venable in a corner somewhere, and Blanks at 1B. Kouzmanoff, Bell, and Young shouldn't be factors because if AGonz is for sale, all of those guys will be too.

interesting but i don't think the padres will want to trade him to the dodgers . and they may take a little less just to get him out of the national league but especially out of the division . i would hope we are in on a possible trade for him as we were with M. Cabrera a couple years ago but i hope this time we get our man . come on Kenny getterdone

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 02:16 AM)
Would you trade Hudson and Torres straight up?

If anyone thinks this is even close to enough for Gonzalez you're crazy. The Padres would laugh and hang up if Kenny proposed this. For the Sox to have any chance, they'd have to build a deal around either Beckham or perhaps Danks or Floyd. Then maybe add in Hudson and a few other prospects.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
If anyone thinks this is even close to enough for Gonzalez you're crazy. The Padres would laugh and hang up if Kenny proposed this. For the Sox to have any chance, they'd have to build a deal around either Beckham or perhaps Danks or Floyd. Then maybe add in Hudson and a few other prospects.

I don't think you need to deal Danks, Floyd or Beckham.

That being said, if you don't include them, you need to gut the farm and give up something like:

Flowers

Hudson

Torres

Nix

Viciedo

Hynick

Shelby/D2 (like I've said before, I try my hardest to hold onto D2, but if he's the deal breaker, he goes)