Speculation: Johnny Damon to White Sox?

almagest

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 07:58 PM)
lol, that's ridiculous.

I can't believe people would actually rather have Pods than Damon, that's insane.

The overwhelming majority of people seem to understand Damon would be an upgrade, myself included.

The question is, at what cost.

If Pods was available at 2/$10m, and Damon at 2/$20m, which would you rather have?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
The overwhelming majority of people seem to understand Damon would be an upgrade, myself included.

If Pods was available at 2/$10m, and Damon at 2/$20m, which would you rather have?

Pods is not going to be getting a contract for $5 million a year, let alone for two years of it. He might get 5 mil for two years total.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 07:38 PM)
Pods is not going to be getting a contract for $5 million a year, let alone for two years of it. He might get 5 mil for two years total.

I think you are underestimating his value.

I will say that at this point, if he is willing to sign for 2/$5, he will be re-signed by us soon.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
You still think of Damon as a leadoff hitter?

No kidding. He was great years ago in KC, but he's lost a ton of speed recently. He's also not that much better defensively than Pods.

Damon would be a terrible signing for the Sox. He can barely play LF, he's not much of a base-stealing threat anymore, he'll be 36 next year, and he's going to cost WAY too much money.

QUOTE (jhonnydanks @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 11:24 PM)
pods = world series hero for OUR sox

damon = a giant douche sandwich for teams we should all hate

no logic....just drunk typing....but seriously, duck famon. he's not coming here anyway....case closed.

idc how drunk this guy is, he's 100% right

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 09:25 AM)

Damon its not my money .

I'm not as much as a Pods hater as others on this site, and I'm not against Damon coming to the Sox. I guess I'm just a warm and fuzzy guy. If you attach a price tage and look at only that, Pods would be the guy. I'm not sure Damon is a huge upgrade, but I do think he would be at least slightly better. So, unless the price tags are close, Pods would most likely be the one.

But, in reality, I don't see Damon coming to the Sox, and I think this is nothing more than drunk speculation.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 08:38 AM)
Asking this question completely neutral, but to those who think Pods can get 2 years from the White Sox, what other teams out there are going to offer him 2 years or 1 year at good money?

And especially in this marketplace, year two of the recession.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 08:38 AM)
Asking this question completely neutral, but to those who think Pods can get 2 years from the White Sox, what other teams out there are going to offer him 2 years or 1 year at good money?

There are going to be suitors for both Chone Figgins and Johnny Damon. Now I'm not sure if either of those guys will get away from their current teams, but their are teams out there who are very interested in their services. And a few of those teams are going to come up empty in that pursuit. They'll then look around the marketplace, see that Podsednik is available, coming off a .300 season, they'll see he played average defense this year, good team guy, and they'll throw him a bone at 2 years and $8 million or 10 million.

I dunno, I could be way off base here. All we can do is wait. But that is my theory.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
There are going to be suitors for both Chone Figgins and Johnny Damon. Now I'm not sure if either of those guys will get away from their current teams, but their are teams out there who are very interested in their services. And a few of those teams are going to come up empty in that pursuit. They'll then look around the marketplace, see that Podsednik is available, coming off a .300 season, they'll see he played average defense this year, good team guy, and they'll throw him a bone at 2 years and $8 million or 10 million.

I dunno, I could be way off base here. All we can do is wait. But that is my theory.

They are also going to look at the same history of injury and ineffectiveness for long periods of his career, to go along with falling revenues and losing advertisers to realize that they aren't going to be able to throw around money like that for a guy who is coming off a careerish year.

Unfortunately, in these situations, we really don't have much else to go on except history. No one can see the future...although some people may think KW can with his bargain signing of Pods. Obviously, however, his gift faltered a bit with Rios, at least for the short term.

Anyway, my pont is that history tells us that Pods will not put up good numbers next year. Whether or not that's true, I would suspect that most GMs will take that into consideration. So, that's an argument that says Pods may not get a lucrative two-year deal ($8-$10 million). With the recession and the fact that the likes of Damon and Abreu will be sought out lends to the argument that Pods will end up getting a deal...maybe two years. I see the Sox signing him for two years or one year with an option at $2-$4 million/year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 07:29 AM)

I bet Figgins winds up with the Yankees.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 09:13 AM)
I bet Figgins winds up with the Yankees.

I agree, especially with Damon and Matsui coming off the books.

Despite his really nice OBP, Jeter probably won't be that great of a leadoff option 2-3 years down the road.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
I agree, especially with Damon and Matsui coming off the books.

Despite his really nice OBP, Jeter probably won't be that great of a leadoff option 2-3 years down the road.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lackey wound up there as well, FWIW.