2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Associated Press is reporting that RHP Justin Verlander and the Tigers have agreed to a five-year deal worth $80 million.

Verlander just completed a 19-9 season, posting a 3.45 ERA and American League-leading 269 strikeouts. The extension covers his final two seasons of arbitration and first three years of free agency. The 25-year-old was reportedly seeking six years, but has apparently settled for five although it is possible an option is attached to the deal. The five-year, $78 million deal Seattle struck with Felix Hernandez served as a guideline during talks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
Was Verlander a year closer to FA than Felix? I have difficulty figuring out why he'd be more expensive otherwise.

When I first heard the numbers I thought it was a lot, especially considering he's roughly 3 years older than Felix. I think Verlander is an excellent pitcher, don't get me wrong, just my initial feeling.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 10:29 AM)
The Mariners appear to be close to landing Bedard on a one-year deal. If this is true i think the division is theirs to lose.

Well, he won't play the first few months...

In other news, the Twins are hot after O-Dawg.

Ugh.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
Looks like the Hudson to the Twins deal is just about done. In other news, congrats go to the 2010 AL Central Champion Twins, either that or KW can get off his ass and make a damn move for a DH.

What are you complaining about? We have Vizquel!

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
If they sign him, their payroll will almost be equal to ours.

Pretty aggressive for a small market team.

16th biggest metropolitan area in the nation, and Felix posted a link not that long ago that had Minneapolis in like the top 15 for market size. They've been masking themselves as a small market team for years and years. Carl Pohlad's death may have been a great thing for the Twins organization, because they've been opening their checkbook quite a bit more recently.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
Looks like the Hudson to the Twins deal is just about done. In other news, congrats go to the 2010 AL Central Champion Twins, either that or KW can get off his ass and make a damn move for a DH.

Let's see how they do when they have to play baseball, instead of roller derby.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
Let's see how they do when they have to play baseball, instead of roller derby.

I think the Hardy, Thome, and Hudson moves are an example that they're not comfortable relying on the Arena-Baseball mentality that carried them in the MetroDome. They're taking some great measures towards the future.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)
I think the Hardy, Thome, and Hudson moves are an example that they're not comfortable relying on the Arena-Baseball mentality that carried them in the MetroDome. They're taking some great measures towards the future.

Those help, no doubt. But the whole team has to make changes. 50% of their games will now be a different sort of game. I just think the chances of them thriving in that transition are low, even with some positive changes.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
Those help, no doubt. But the whole team has to make changes. 50% of their games will now be a different sort of game. I just think the chances of them thriving in that transition are low, even with some positive changes.

So, instead of winning with players built for the Metrodome, they're instead stockpiling really good players and planning to win that way. I'd call that a good plan.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
So, instead of winning with players built for the Metrodome, they're instead stockpiling really good players and planning to win that way. I'd call that a good plan.

I guess somebody in the division has to make active attempts at getting better. Do KW and Ozzie remember last year how even with our vastly superior pitching we lost the damn division on account of our offense? We've done literally nothing to improve on offense. We're counting on x-factors and lightning in a bottle. What KW has done is disassemble an offense that needed dismantling and replaced it with parts that appear destined to replicate the exact same meager offense as the one that came before it. We have no pop, no ability to get on base, we have a manager fixated on playing this team like an NL ballclub, and we have damn good reason to believe that one freaking move on the offensive end, would make this entire argument a wash. I’m incredibly frustrated right now.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
I guess somebody in the division has to make active attempts at getting better. Do KW and Ozzie remember last year how even with our vastly superior pitching we lost the damn division on account of our offense? We've done literally nothing to improve on offense. We're counting on x-factors and lightning in a bottle. What KW has done is disassemble an offense that needed dismantling and replaced it with parts that appear destined to replicate the exact same meager offense as the one that came before it. We have no pop, no ability to get on base, we have a manager fixated on playing this team like an NL ballclub, and we have damn good reason to believe that one freaking move on the offensive end, would make this entire argument a wash. I’m incredibly frustrated right now.

I went through being angry about it a couple weeks ago. Now I've just given up on being angry, and so I'm going to go back to being a homer and hope that Kotsay at DH can stay healthy and put up an .850 OPS and Jones can suddenly find a 25 HR swing and Rios will find his .850 OPS form and that Q will stay healthy and go on a 50 HR pace like he was on for the couple weeks he was healthy last year and Teahen can find some of that 2006 form where he was putting up a near .900 OPS.

I know it's a lot to have happen, but I can't bring myself to be angry any more. I am going to taunt NSS with his post a month ago insisting that Vizquel would never DH when it happens, that I promise to be angry about when it happens, but I'm sorta spent on this one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
I know it's a lot to have happen, but I can't bring myself to be angry any more. I am going to taunt NSS with his post a month ago insisting that Vizquel would never DH when it happens, that I promise to be angry about when it happens, but I'm sorta spent on this one.

I’m very discouraged. I wrote all of the initial rotating DH talk off as posturing by Ozzie. Now, I’m buying into it and it scares the crap out of me. We’re wasting the best pitching staff we’ve had in years, on an experiment that nearly all-informed parties agree is going to be a disaster. I don’t want to watch a team that plays behind the Twins the entire year, because I shouldn’t have to, we should have the offense in place, we shouldn’t be holding anything back. Go for the f***ing jugular, KW, and don’t play Ozzie’s game. I used to be constantly frustrated with KW, and over the last two years he’s earned my trust back, but I don’t know what to make of this debacle. This screams of what happened with Wise, this screams of KW making Ozzie eat his words, and Sox fans shouldn’t have to watch a gaping hole that’s going to need to be filled sooner rather than later. A prediction: midseason we’re going to be giving up a handful of prospects for a bat, and all I’m going to say is, “s***, Thome could of come a lot cheaper. Branyan could have come a lot cheaper.” Somebody needs to come to their senses.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
I'm going to go back to being a homer and hope that Kotsay at DH can stay healthy and put up an .850 OPS and Jones can suddenly find a 25 HR swing and Rios will find his .850 OPS form and that Q will stay healthy and go on a 50 HR pace like he was on for the couple weeks he was healthy last year and Teahen can find some of that 2006 form where he was putting up a near .900 OPS.

I hear that they're signing a Unicorn to platoon at DH, and there's a Leprechaun coming up from AAA to be the LOOGy.