2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
Those help, no doubt. But the whole team has to make changes. 50% of their games will now be a different sort of game. I just think the chances of them thriving in that transition are low, even with some positive changes.

Yeah they still have Morneau and Mauer so argument fail.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)
LOL, OK. They have two very good hitters, therefore the entire team will be immune to the transition? Whose argument is a "fail"?

(Raises hand)...um, sir, I believe I disagree with your definition of the number "2".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 08:54 AM)
(Raises hand)...um, sir, I believe I disagree with your definition of the number "2".

Still missing the point. I wasn't saying that have ONLY two good hitters - I was pointing out how ridiculous it is to compare apples to oranges. I was saying, moving out of a very unusual stadium like the roller dome, to a regular outside field in the upper midwest, is a major transition that will effect everyone on the team. A team, which as a whole, was tooled around that old stadium. The response I got was, but look at Mauer and Morneau!

Well, what about them? Are they immune to changes? And is every person on the team a Mauer or a Morneau? Of course not. The change in stadium will undoubtedly effect their play. That is what I am saying.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 11:24 AM)
Well, what about them? Are they immune to changes? And is every person on the team a Mauer or a Morneau? Of course not. The change in stadium will undoubtedly effect their play. That is what I am saying.

And my response to that is...Mauer and Morneau are not their only 2 good hitters. Kubel and Cuddyer still put up OPS numbers of >.800 on the road. Span still was a .300 hitter on the road last year. Minnesota was the #5 offense in the AL at home last year, and the # 6 offense in the AL on the road last year. Minnesota pitchers had a 4.49 ERA at the dome last season and a 4.51 ERA on the road last season (their pitchers went on the road better than most pitchers in the league actually, their ERA was #4 in the AL on the road and #12 in the AL at home). It's entirely possible that moving out of the dome could make them better, not worse, depending on how the park plays.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 11:36 AM)
And my response to that is...Mauer and Morneau are not their only 2 good hitters. Kubel and Cuddyer still put up OPS numbers of >.800 on the road. Span still was a .300 hitter on the road last year. Minnesota was the #5 offense in the AL at home last year, and the # 6 offense in the AL on the road last year. Minnesota pitchers had a 4.49 ERA at the dome last season and a 4.51 ERA on the road last season (their pitchers went on the road better than most pitchers in the league actually, their ERA was #4 in the AL on the road and #12 in the AL at home). It's entirely possible that moving out of the dome could make them better, not worse, depending on how the park plays.

Did I not JUST SAY they weren't the only two good hitters?

Christ, I give up.

Everybody missed my observation that Mauer has herpes.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)
Did anyone see that wicked googly on his upper lip in the interview he did on Hot Stove? Does Herpes get a 10 year extension?

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 06:52 PM)
And their pitching was worse at the Metrodome than on the road.

It's usually not like that though.

Before last year, the Twins were substantially better at pitching in the dome than on the road.

Here's the ERA difference from 2002-2008.

2008: +.89 ERA

2007: +.70 ERA

2006: +1.14 ERA

2005: +.21 ERA

2004: +.31 ERA

2003: -.19 ERA

2002: +.76 ERA

With the exception of 2003, the Twins have always fared better at home in terms of pitching. It's gotten even more drastic over the past four seasons. The current Twins pitching staff has been around since 2008, so it's fair to look at these past two season and realize that they're pretty much half a run better at home than they are on the road. I don't think it's unfair to say that their pitching should be worse next season.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 9, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
It's cool we have Omar Visquel.

So are you intentionally misspelling his name out of disrespect or are you just oblivious to the correct spelling of the surname of the hall of fame SS who's likely been in the league since you started watching baseball?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 9, 2010 -> 12:48 PM)
So are you intentionally misspelling his name out of disrespect or are you just oblivious to the correct spelling of the surname of the hall of fame SS who's likely been in the league since you started watching baseball?

It was a mistake. I had no intention of offending anyone, and I could do a lot worse of an insult on someone then to misspell his name. Although, substituting a V for an S is a pretty damning accusation. I hate every hall of famer including Babe Tuth and Ricky Mantle.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 9, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)
It was a mistake. I had no intention of offending anyone, and I could do a lot worse of an insult on someone then to misspell his name. Although, substituting a V for an S is a pretty damning accusation. I hate every hall of famer including Babe Tuth and Ricky Mantle.

It's the internet, petty is commonplace. It goes back to Javy Vazquez, those who disliked him felt misspelling his name was a fine way to belittle him, spelling his name "Vasquez" was a fine way of showing how inconsequential he was and just how little they thought of him. Since you've done it in a few threads I just assumed.