2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 10:49 AM)
Now if only Selig would man up and force tests at the major league level.

I think the issue is...he can't do that on his own because that is collectively bargained issue, while he may well be able to do that for the minor league teams.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)
I think the issue is...he can't do that on his own because that is collectively bargained issue, while he may well be able to do that for the minor league teams.

He can as commissioner because he holds the one trump card. "The good of the game".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)

He can if its not per se prevented in a valid, legal contract. None of us really know exactly what that contract says.

And furthermore, I believe the current overriding contract for the league is expiring after this season, right? I'd be this is something that changes, at that time.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
He can if its not per se prevented in a valid, legal contract. None of us really know exactly what that contract says.

And furthermore, I believe the current overriding contract for the league is expiring after this season, right? I'd be this is something that changes, at that time.

Frankly, I think that at this point, collective bargaining agreements are a satisfactory way of dealing with it. If Selig had in 2001 chosen to use that power, that would have been the right point. As of now, he's set the precedent that the best interests of the game power is very sparingly used, and that collective bargaining can deal with this issue.

Of course, if that's unsatisfactory, just replace him with Senator McConnell, and suddenly that sparingly used power will be used to ban baseball players from chewing gum or throwing anything but fastballs.

(/end of filibuster interlude)

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
Either him or Danys Baez.

Wow, Danys Baez made $7.16 million with the Orioles last season. A 6.44 ERA in 07, zero innings in 08, and a 4.02 ERA in 09, all for $19 million. Now thats bad bullpen money, probably worse than our Linebrink deal.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)
The Nationals will do the predictable thing and keep Strasburg in the minors to start the season to give his arb clock a later start, thus telling their fans that winning still matters not.

In other news, the sky is blue.

Would bringing Stras up earlier translate to more wins?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)
The Nationals will do the predictable thing and keep Strasburg in the minors to start the season to give his arb clock a later start, thus telling their fans that winning still matters not.

In other news, the sky is blue.

If I was a Nats fan that's what I'd want. I'd be open to keeping him down for over a year if I thought it would allow for less of his team controlled years to not be wasted.

Saw this part of the Seattle spring training game and laughed

1:37 p.m.: Milton Bradley had a play on a flyball to left with two on in the fourth inning. But Bradley could not make the catch and the ball got by him for a two-run double by Kevin Frandsen that highlighted a three-run frame by the Giants. All three runs were charged to Chris Seddon.

Bradley might have lost the ball in the sun and could have been charged with an error on a borderline play.