2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)
I agree and disagree with alot of points. But people have to understand sometimes a specific org. is pretty freaking dumb with decisions. Honestly Garrett Adkins? Audrey Huff? Nady? Those clubs will be regretting those deals over Dye, defense be damned. I don't agree on Sheffield though Hudson. Sorry, he's washed up.

To be fair, Aubrey Huff is left handed and teams are always looking for left handed bats over right handed bats.

Plus, Huff brings a little more versatility than Dye. We don't know how good Dye is at 1B yet, although I don't think he'll be very bad at the position.

Atkins is a little bit different, but yeah, the Orioles and Giants aren't exactly smart organizations. You can't call that racism, you have to call it stupidity and ignorance.

When Nady heals, I think he'll be a better overall player than Dye.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I remember reading that Hudson article this morning, I was just like come on. The reason Dye doesn't have a deal is because he turned down offers (overestimated his market value apparently and his $11 mil tag before FA is irrelevant), and was reluctant to play DH... plus teams know he is excruciatingly bad in the field, and they've also seen him bomb in the second half of 2009, fall off in September '08, and have a pretty average 2007 following a career. He's not exactly a sure thing. I would've loved to have him here as a DH or something but that wasn't going to happen.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
To be fair, Aubrey Huff is left handed and teams are always looking for left handed bats over right handed bats.

Plus, Huff brings a little more versatility than Dye. We don't know how good Dye is at 1B yet, although I don't think he'll be very bad at the position.

Atkins is a little bit different, but yeah, the Orioles and Giants aren't exactly smart organizations. You can't call that racism, you have to call it stupidity and ignorance.

When Nady heals, I think he'll be a better overall player than Dye.

Atkins can play 3B though too. He doesn't play it very well, but the fact that he has actually physically played the position over the past few years is good enough to a few organizations, as it can sometimes be hard to find guys who can or do play 3B.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)
B.J. Upton having himself a day. How devastating is that Tampa offense if he finally puts it together? And David Price is good.

Carlos Pena's season last year blows my mind. He hit .227 and almost had a .900 OPS. That seems like it should be impossible. I mean, I realize Thomas did it for a month in 2005, but that's a f***ing month. Pena did it in 135 games. A .310 ISO with a .227 BA is crazy.

He's off to a pretty damn good start again this year to (3 run homer today). Maybe this year he'll get more singles than homers, but I really hope he doesn't.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)
Carlos Pena's season last year blows my mind. He hit .227 and almost had a .900 OPS. That seems like it should be impossible. I mean, I realize Thomas did it for a month in 2005, but that's a f***ing month. Pena did it in 135 games. A .310 ISO with a .227 BA is crazy.

He's off to a pretty damn good start again this year to (3 run homer today). Maybe this year he'll get more singles than homers, but I really hope he doesn't.

You know there's something wrong when your ISO is higher than your batting average.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)

From what I can tell he's the only player in big league history to put up an OPS of at least .890 and a batting average of .230 or lower over a 500+ PA season. The only other player to do it with at least 33 PA in a season was in fact Frank Thomas in 2005.

So only 2 players have gotten at least 33 PA in a season and put up an OPS of at least .890 and a batting average of .230 or lower. So yeah, it's basically next to impossible.

Only 7 players in the history of the game have put up an OPS of at least .800 with a batting average of .230 or lower over a 400+ PA season. The last one to do it was Adam Dunn in 2003 when he put up a .215/.354/.465/.819 line with 27 HR in 469 PA. The highest OPS of the other 6 was Gene Tenace in 1980 who put up a .222/.399/.424/.823 line with 92 BB in 416 PA, that's the 2nd most walks all time in a season with 420 or fewer PA; Ferris Fain walked 94 times in 358 PA in 1955 his line for the season: .260/.455/.326/.781

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 07:29 PM)
From what I can tell he's the only player in big league history to put up an OPS of at least .890 and a batting average of .230 or lower over a 500+ PA season. The only other player to do it with at least 33 PA in a season was in fact Frank Thomas in 2005.

So only 2 players have gotten at least 33 PA in a season and put up an OPS of at least .890 and a batting average of .230 or lower. So yeah, it's basically next to impossible.

Only 7 players in the history of the game have put up an OPS of at least .800 with a batting average of .230 or lower over a 400+ PA season. The last one to do it was Adam Dunn in 2003 when he put up a .215/.354/.465/.819 line with 27 HR in 469 PA. The highest OPS of the other 6 was Gene Tenace in 1980 who put up a .222/.399/.424/.823 line with 92 BB in 416 PA, that's the 2nd most walks all time in a season with 420 or fewer PA; Ferris Fain walked 94 times in 358 PA in 1955 his line for the season: .260/.455/.326/.781

Wow... that is amazing.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 10:59 AM)
Yep, it appears that rumors of Vazquez being a mental midget were more then true,

I think of "mental midget" equating to a lack of intelligence. I don't think that's the problem here. This is more "emotional house of cards". He crumbles under pressure.

I still find it hilarious that he was kicked out of New York for, well, sucking. Went to the NL did fine. Had an ok season with the Sox but was literally run out of town. Then is great in Atlanta, and New York thinks "Oh hey, let's try that again" and folks actually thought it would work.

Vazquez is s*** when it matters.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
I still find it hilarious that he was kicked out of New York for, well, sucking. Went to the NL did fine. Had an ok season with the Sox but was literally run out of town. Then is great in Atlanta, and New York thinks "Oh hey, let's try that again" and folks actually thought it would work.

Vazquez is s*** when it matters.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 01:07 PM)
He's had 2 starts.

Don't tell that to Steve. We aren't allowed to overreact to the Sox having a terrible first 8 games but he can make an assessment on a pitcher after 2 starts.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 01:17 PM)
Don't tell that to Steve. We aren't allowed to overreact to the Sox having a terrible first 8 games but he can make an assessment on a pitcher after 2 starts.

Except he's got a history of s***ting himself on a big stage...hell a stage that even remotely matters.

Javy Vasquez sucks. Plain & simple, he may get a good amount of strikeouts but hes no more than a #4 to me.

He's had 2 starts.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 01:17 PM)

Except Javy has a track record of Steve's assessment that goes WAYYYYYYY beyond his first two starts. You would think Sox fans would understand this better than anybody. Javy is going to get skinned alive in NY.

He's had 2 starts.

Look at 2006, 2007 and 2008. If he shows up in the playoffs in 2008 the Sox may have actually made some serious noise.

It is not too far fetched to say he really is unable to handle any pressure at all.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)
Except Javy has a track record of Steve's assessment that goes WAYYYYYYY beyond his first two starts. You would think Sox fans would understand this better than anybody. Javy is going to get skinned alive in NY.

He really shouldn't, but in new york, they really get on your ass. How i see it he was signed to be their fourth starter. When it is all said and done he will provide them with what they were looking to get out of him, pretty certain anyway.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
What does he do for them? Man the buffet table?

He was 5 for 13 with 4 walks and a HR in pinch hitting situations last year. He also had a pinch hit game tying RBI single in the bottom of the 8th in game 4 of the NLDS.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
He was 5 for 13 with 4 walks and a HR in pinch hitting situations last year. He also had a pinch hit game tying RBI single in the bottom of the 8th in game 4 of the NLDS.

I will note that in my journal.