2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

A few months ago I predicted, telling Ranger specifically I think, that it might not be long before some teams were regretting not putting together a solid DH and trying out the rotating DH scheme.

So far this season, the DH numbers for the AL are significantly down from previous years (.746 OPS versus .775-.800 the last few years) and a lot of teams are struggling mightily from the spot, including the Sox.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 01:16 PM)
A few months ago I predicted, telling Ranger specifically I think, that it might not be long before some teams were regretting not putting together a solid DH and trying out the rotating DH scheme.

So far this season, the DH numbers for the AL are significantly down from previous years (.746 OPS versus .775-.800 the last few years) and a lot of teams are struggling mightily from the spot, including the Sox.

I bet you the Mariners are crying right now with the DH situation they have in Griffey and Sweeney.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
Trevor Hoffman blew a save to PIT last night on a solo HR to Ronny Cedeno & a grand slam to Doumit. Doumit hits another HR off him in the 9th today, Brewers down in the 10th.

Hoffman is now 3 for 7 in saves, ERA of 13.00

I think his time has come. It was a good run while it lasted...

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
I bet you the Mariners are crying right now with the DH situation they have in Griffey and Sweeney.

Why they got rid of Garko still confuses the hell out of me.

Why they got rid of Franklin Gutierrez is even MORE puzzling.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Why don't we hear something similar from KW, doesn't he have the same sense of urgency as Colletti?

Finally, depressing Twins news of the day....Twins haven't lost a series YET this season. We've won a grand total of ONE. And, by the way, all that speculation about how they'd play at TARGET? Who cares, they're 8-3 on the road, with that number, their home record almost doesn't matter.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 04:17 PM)
Trevor Hoffman blew a save to PIT last night on a solo HR to Ronny Cedeno & a grand slam to Doumit. Doumit hits another HR off him in the 9th today, Brewers down in the 10th.

Hoffman is now 3 for 7 in saves, ERA of 13.00

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 05:55 PM)
I think his time has come. It was a good run while it lasted...

I've already waived him. :crying

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 06:14 PM)
Why they got rid of Franklin Gutierrez is even MORE puzzling.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Why don't we hear something similar from KW, doesn't he have the same sense of urgency as Colletti?

Finally, depressing Twins news of the day....Twins haven't lost a series YET this season. We've won a grand total of ONE. And, by the way, all that speculation about how they'd play at TARGET? Who cares, they're 8-3 on the road, with that number, their home record almost doesn't matter.

Huh?

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 11:33 PM)
Can he keep up his reputation as a Cubs killer this weekend?

I think so.

And this is OT: Is it bad when you're in love with another male athlete? I mean I really, really enjoy watching Evan Longoria play baseball. Did anybody see the bomb he hit last night?

Ima just say this, since we are playing them now, but noticed for a bit here. I'm beginning to like Elvis Andrus. (not quite love level yet though) .400 OBP and already has 16 walks in 69 ABs (had 40 all of last season) Didn't think he would this good, this early on in his career. (though maybe in a year or two) Already one of the best defensive SS in the game. I will say this though, he will come back down to earth with his inflated BABIP, but the improved discipline is really encouraging.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 12:48 AM)
Ima just say this, since we are playing them now, but noticed for a bit here. I'm beginning to like Elvis Andrus. (not quite love level yet though) .400 OBP and already has 16 walks in 69 ABs (had 40 all of last season) Didn't think he would this good, this early on in his career. (though maybe in a year or two) Already one of the best defensive SS in the game. I will say this though, he will come back down to earth with his inflated BABIP, but the improved discipline is really encouraging.

I actually think all of his peripherals are a bit of an anomaly right now. I think his K rate will decrease, his walk rate will decrease, and his average will rise. Thus, as his BABIP decreases, his average will actually increase a bit. I understand that sometimes guys will have their K rates increase, but 16% to 26% just doesn't happen, and he'll start making more contact as the season goes on.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 12:48 AM)

He's only hitting .261. So there's not much to come down from in that regard. If anything the K-rate is the thing to be concerned about (although I seriously doubt it stays at 26.2). The BB% is nice to see for such a young player. And he's got plus speed to boot. The defense is unquestionable. The Rangers appear to be set at SS for quite some time.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 01:17 AM)
His base running is bad though...

If we think Pods gets picked off a lot, Andrus gets picked off a lot more.

But with his inexperience, you kind of expect that.

No way. He was picked off only 3 times last year. He has been picked off 3 times this year (a Pods-like pace). But no way is he at Pods' level yet.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 10:24 PM)
Huh?

The conversation was about the decision-making of the Indians...or decent players on the M's, I can't even remember and am not going to bother to backtrack all the way through the thread..trading Franklin Gutierrez for what they got back was epic stupid/fail.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)
The conversation was about the decision-making of the Indians...or decent players on the M's, I can't even remember and am not going to bother to backtrack all the way through the thread..trading Franklin Gutierrez for what they got back was epic stupid/fail.

It was about the decision making of the M's and you or someone posted a stupid decision by the Indians.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 09:13 AM)
The Rays may be the best team in baseball and are on pace to win 123 games, but their fans still don't give a s***. I know Oakland is not a popular team to see, but crowds of 10,825 & 10,691 for the two-game series are pretty awful.

And they're at it again already. 5 runs with two outs in the second off Hochevar. And who the hell is this John Jaso? This guy is raking since Shoppach hit the DL.

Make that 9-0 Rays and still batting in the third. This team is somethin' else.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 07:08 PM)
And they're at it again already. 5 runs with two outs in the second off Hochevar. And who the hell is this John Jaso? This guy is raking since Shoppach hit the DL.

Make that 9-0 Rays and still batting in the third. This team is somethin' else.

They're obviously much more talented, but I hope this team doesn't crap out like the DBacks did in 2008 - they 21-9 in their first 30, and went 61-71 from that point on.