2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ May 10, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)
So you go from blowing Babe Ruth from every stat too maybe around 700 HR's which is less than Ruth...He was a great hitter and yes he lost some time which sucks but there is nothing underrated about him.

Ruth only had 714. Williams could have had anywhere from 700-750 HR. It's all semantics anyway.

Are you nitpicking me recently because you feel you need to defend the honor and truthfulness of Soxtalk, or are you singling me out because you just don't like me?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 10, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
Griffey Jr. reportedly missed a pinch-hitting opportunity last week because he was in the clubhouse...asleep.

That's the kind of veteran leadership Milton Bradley needs.

As much as Griffey has meant to the game and has never been accused of cheating, I know this isn't exactly what you want out of a veteran on your team, but its a story that really serves no purpose leaking out of the Seattle clubhouse, except to embarrass him. I wish it never got out.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 10, 2010 -> 06:03 PM)
As much as Griffey has meant to the game and has never been accused of cheating, I know this isn't exactly what you want out of a veteran on your team, but its a story that really serves no purpose leaking out of the Seattle clubhouse, except to embarrass him. I wish it never got out.

There's clearly a reason why it's getting out now. They're likely getting ready to cut him, and management doesn't want to take a PR hit by having it come as a surprise.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 10, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)
There's clearly a reason why it's getting out now. They're likely getting ready to cut him, and management doesn't want to take a PR hit by having it come as a surprise.

Or they are hoping he's embarrassed and just retires so they don't have to pay him. Griffey has meant a lot to that franchise. He deserves a little better than this.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 10, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)

It's because two Mariners players were honest enough to talk about it candidly. One even tried to make an excuse (see link).

He wasn't even benched the next game, and some had the idea they REALLY could have awakened him had it been an absolute emergency...but when you're hitting like the M's, it doesn't really matter what buttons you try to push offensively.

Still, not the best ending to his baseball career. Not quite Willie Mays, but not so far off.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 10, 2010 -> 05:11 PM)
Or they are hoping he's embarrassed and just retires so they don't have to pay him. Griffey has meant a lot to that franchise. He deserves a little better than this.

Looks like Jr. stayed one year too long.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 10, 2010 -> 07:46 PM)
Looks like Jr. stayed one year too long.

He stayed 2 years too long (well this will be his second year at Seattle). Wish he would have hung them up after his 08-09 season. Amazing the numbers he put up with us and the Reds combined at age 38 though.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 10, 2010 -> 11:55 PM)
He stayed 2 years too long (well this will be his second year at Seattle). Wish he would have hung them up after his 08-09 season. Amazing the numbers he put up with us and the Reds combined at age 38 though.

His '08 wasn't really all that good. .249/.353/.424/.778. His last good year was 2007.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 10, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
His '08 wasn't really all that good. .249/.353/.424/.778. His last good year was 2007.

It wasn't that good for Ken Griffey Jr. status, but those are pretty solid numbers considering the man was 38 and is clean. There are players in their prime now that can't put up .250-.350-.420-.780 numbers. Just shows how special he is/was.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (knightni @ May 10, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
Ruth only had 714. Williams could have had anywhere from 700-750 HR. It's all semantics anyway.

Are you nitpicking me recently because you feel you need to defend the honor and truthfulness of Soxtalk, or are you singling me out because you just don't like me?

Im saying its ridiculous to say Ted Williams is underated and you were being inconsistant with first blowing away all of Ruths stats when most likely he still would have had less HR's and you even admitted so by giving him an avg of 30 those missing years. Im not going to attack someone because I just dont care for them, if that was the case there are posters I dislike far more than I ever could you.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 11, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
Phillies get 84 home games, and Halladay misses out on a Toronto return. Life in 2010...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=phi

Typical bulls*** move by MLB. Supposedly the AAA park that sits 18,000 in Buffalo was available those days. The smart thing to do would have been to move the series there, I'm sure they could probably sell it out. But of course, Selig has to go for the cash grab and have it in Philly. Same situation as Astros/Cubs in Milwaukee two years ago.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 11, 2010 -> 06:29 PM)
Typical bulls*** move by MLB. Supposedly the AAA park that sits 18,000 in Buffalo was available those days. The smart thing to do would have been to move the series there, I'm sure they could probably sell it out. But of course, Selig has to go for the cash grab and have it in Philly. Same situation as Astros/Cubs in Milwaukee two years ago.

I hate when Selig does this.

Poor Jays fans that wanted to see Doc again.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 11, 2010 -> 07:29 PM)

Yeah, if there's one team that doesn't need the money, its...Torotno?

Dallas Braden appeared on the Tuesday night episode of David Letterman and read the top-10 list.

These were the "Top 10 thoughts" of Braden during his perfect 4-0 game against the Rays:

No. 10: "Grandma's right. Stick it, A-Rod."

No. 9: "I did it! Oh crap, it's only the 4th inning."

No. 8: "Seriously, how cool a name is Dallas Braden?"

No. 7: "Now maybe Justin Bieber will notice me."

No. 6: "I must not tell the world I'm Iron Man."

No. 5: "This is something they can never take away from me. But for $50,000, you can have my glove."

No. 4: "This next pitch, eyes closed."

No. 3: "Even I've never heard of me."

No. 2: "I should at least give up one hit so I don't have to do Letterman."

No. 1: "Maybe I can give Kate Hudson a call."

Thought Heads would love that one.