2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Derek Holland (who was brutal last year for Texas, though that was Texas' fault for pretty much making him skip AAA) gets called up after owning in AAA and gives a good outing against the A's.

6 IP 5 H 0 R 0 ER 1 BB 7 SO

Texas calling up their future this season. (Smoak/Holland/Ramirez) Gotta figure guys like Scheppers, Strop/Hunter, Perez, etc.. are not far behind. Still need work on drafting pitching, but not a bad future for them.

John Ely after his bad debut has been lights out since. Currently has a 3.86 ERA 1.02 WHIP .225 BA. I'm rooting for the Illinois native. Shame he couldn't pitch for his favorite childhood team of our White Sox.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 13, 2010 -> 01:24 AM)
Derek Holland (who was brutal last year for Texas, though that was Texas' fault for pretty much making him skip AAA) gets called up after owning in AAA and gives a good outing against the A's.

Texas calling up their future this season. (Smoak/Holland/Ramirez) Gotta figure guys like Scheppers, Strop/Hunter, Perez, etc.. are not far behind. Still need work on drafting pitching, but not a bad future for them.

He's not really a "prospect" by true definition anymore. But they've got a guy, and I'm sure you've heard of him, named Alexi Ogando. Visa problems and some shady s*** he was into had kept him from the states until this year. He was drafted by the A's as an OF before Texas scooped him up in the '05 Rule 5 draft and converted him into a pitcher. He went straight to AA and dominated. He's already been promoted to AAA. His FB tops out at 98 and he's got two + secondary pitches. The Rangers have some disgustingly good young arms either up or on the way. Kinda jealous.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 13, 2010 -> 01:24 AM)

John Ely after his bad debut has been lights out since. Currently has a 3.86 ERA 1.02 WHIP .225 BA. I'm rooting for the Illinois native. Shame he couldn't pitch for his favorite childhood team of our White Sox.

I don't think their problem is drafting pitching, but evaluating their pitchers once they have them.

The hot Reds moved within 1/2 game of the ice cold Cardinals today, and the two teams have a 3 game series this weekend in Cincinnati. I know I say it every year, but one of these days the Reds are going to put it together for a full season and be in the race all the way through September.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 13, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
The hot Reds moved within 1/2 game of the ice cold Cardinals today, and the two teams have a 3 game series this weekend in Cincinnati. I know I say it every year, but one of these days the Reds are going to put it together for a full season and be in the race all the way through September.

Is there any chance of a Volquez sighting this year?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
Is there any chance of a Volquez sighting this year?

I believe he's allowed to serve his 50 game suspension while injured (which is a joke, but that's the rules) so that's not an issue. The earliest you could see him back in the majors is around the trade deadline, but odds are it might take longer than that. I'd be willing to bet you'll see him sometime in August if his rehab goes well and the Reds are anything resembling in the race.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 13, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
I believe he's allowed to serve his 50 game suspension while injured (which is a joke, but that's the rules) so that's not an issue. The earliest you could see him back in the majors is around the trade deadline, but odds are it might take longer than that. I'd be willing to bet you'll see him sometime in August if his rehab goes well and the Reds are anything resembling in the race.

So, in other words, yes, it's possible.

The Reds have some reinforcement arms on the way then. Even if they just stick Volquez in the bullpen at the end of the year.

They stay close early, and that could get interesting.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
So, in other words, yes, it's possible.

The Reds have some reinforcement arms on the way then. Even if they just stick Volquez in the bullpen at the end of the year.

They stay close early, and that could get interesting.

The interesting thing about the Reds is they have made it pretty well known that they are willing to add help (aka add payroll) before the deadline if the team can stay in the race, which is a new stance for that organization.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 13, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
The interesting thing about the Reds is they have made it pretty well known that they are willing to add help (aka add payroll) before the deadline if the team can stay in the race, which is a new stance for that organization.

The other interesting question is why so many other teams passed on Aroldis Chapman at $30 million? Compared to Dice-K, his raw potential would seem like a bargain in hindsight.

Well, it's really good for baseball that pitchers like Strasburg and Chapman are coming up with "mid/small" market franchises or ones that are basically operated as such.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)
The other interesting question is why so many other teams passed on Aroldis Chapman at $30 million? Compared to Dice-K, his raw potential would seem like a bargain in hindsight.

Well, it's really good for baseball that pitchers like Strasburg and Chapman are coming up with "mid/small" market franchises or ones that are basically operated as such.

Frankly, he's still going to be a rookie. He's still likely to need 2-3 seasons to develop into a major big league threat. Even Verlander put up a bad 3rd season in the bigs. Factor in the injury risk of a lanky guy throwing 100+, and there's reason why you wouldn't go that.

The Daisuke money was insane anyway...but there's a lot more opportunity right now to recoup some of that expenditure by marketing your team in Japan than there is in Cuba.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 15, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
Ricky Romero just bamboozled a very potent Texas offense. 9 IP, 5 H, 1 BB, 12 K. I'm starting to wonder if Toronto can actually hang around in that brutal division.

They'll be able to hang somewhat, but with Tampa & New York around they won't be doing much.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ May 15, 2010 -> 08:32 PM)
They'll be able to hang somewhat, but with Tampa & New York around they won't be doing much.

You're probably right. But Toronto certainly isn't going to be a pushover like most expected. That team's got some THUNDER up and down that lineup. They lead all of baseball in 2B, HR and they're 2nd overall in SLG%. Their rotation is one of the most underrated in baseball. I really like this team.

Edited by Jordan4life