2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reds win 2 out of 3 vs. STL, and are now in 1st place in the NL Central. I guess its the first time since July that the Cards weren't in first. I know its only mid-May, but the Reds have been popular sleeper picks the last couple years, maybe this is the year they can hang in there until September.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)
Reds win 2 out of 3 vs. STL, and are now in 1st place in the NL Central. I guess its the first time since July that the Cards weren't in first. I know its only mid-May, but the Reds have been popular sleeper picks the last couple years, maybe this is the year they can hang in there until September.

They could be a good White Sox trade partner

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 17, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
They could be a good White Sox trade partner

Maybe we can trade for their righty set-up man and their SS! In all seriousness, Jenks as a set-up man for them makes a lot of sense. They wouldn't need Konerko or AJP, and I can't see them taking in Buehrle.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2010 -> 11:20 AM)
Maybe we can trade for their righty set-up man and their SS! In all seriousness, Jenks as a set-up man for them makes a lot of sense. They wouldn't need Konerko or AJP, and I can't see them taking in Buehrle.

Not really. If you are in a pennant race and your set-up guy can't get people out and blows games, that makes absolutely no sense at all.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 17, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
Not really. If you are in a pennant race and your set-up guy can't get people out and blows games, that makes absolutely no sense at all.

Sometimes another team will think a change of scenery will benefit a player or perhaps they see a flaw in his mechanics that they think they can fix.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 17, 2010 -> 11:39 AM)
Sometimes another team will think a change of scenery will benefit a player or perhaps they see a flaw in his mechanics that they think they can fix.

True, but that sounds more of like a spring training or early season idea, not something to test out when you are fighting for a playoff spot.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
It's the National League. I guarantee Jenks would be successful there. Heck, Carlos Silva is a valuable starter in that league.

Its funny how repositioning someone to the other side of the pitching rubber can have such a profound effect.

Spending the night rotating between Clayton Richard against the Giants and John Ely against the Astros. Not even going to comment on CR, because I’m a firm supporter of the Peavy trade, but my god,it looks like Ely really knows how to pitch. He sequences each batter perfectly, and changes speeds at will.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 17, 2010 -> 10:57 PM)
Spending the night rotating between Clayton Richard against the Giants and John Ely against the Astros. Not even going to comment on CR, because I’m a firm supporter of the Peavy trade, but my god,it looks like Ely really knows how to pitch. He sequences each batter perfectly, and changes speeds at will.

Those moves could look bad on paper for us because those guys get to pitch half of their games at Dodger Stadium and Petco Park, and almost all of them in the National League. The Peavy move is indeed fine, but the Pierre move could eventually end up really bad.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 18, 2010 -> 05:47 PM)
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Anyone for trading our entire minor league system (minus T. Thompson, Mitchell, Hudson, Viciedo and Flowers) for Hanley Ramirez?

They just signed him to an extension, he's going nowhere. And if he was available, you could trade that group of less than top-notch prospects for him also.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
It's the National League. I guarantee Jenks would be successful there. Heck, Carlos Silva is a valuable starter in that league.

Jenks would be a premier closer in the NL. From watching the NL it just seems that teams give at bats away and do not work a pitcher like they do in the AL, not including the White Sox.

Andre Ethier to the DL. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Leading the league in BA, HR (actually tied with Kelly Johnson), RBI, OBP and SLG%. This really blows. Could he have kept this pace up? Maybe not. But you never want to see in injury derail what was looking like a historic individual season.