2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking ahead at Strasburg's debut probably being on June 4...it looks like if the Nationals hold their rotation, the Sox won't face him. And June 4 makes sense so his first two starts are at home, where they'll get the ticket sales.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 20, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
I might rather have Francisco Cervelli over AJP at this point.

Long term, probably right. But he's RH and AJ is LH, so there's at least a role there for AJ if they wanted it. They also have that rotating DH spot that is inserting a weaker bat into their lineup every day (Yesterday Juan Miranda played 1b while Tex was at DH), and they also have a weak Randy Winn bat in the OF until Granderson comes back, so there's lots of potential room there.

Has anybody ever heard of Ted Williams having the nickname "Chairman of the Board"? I heard it as an answer to a trivia question and nobody with me had ever heard it. I know they called him The Kid, Teddy Ballgame, and Splendid Splinter, but never Chairman of the Board.

The question was something like: What nickname does Ted Williams share with Frank Sinatra?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
Jorge Posada to the DL for at least a month, going to have surgery to correct a hairline fracture in his foot.

The Yankees can officially be added to the list of teams that could use a catcher.

Watch for Yankee games to speed up with Posada out.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 20, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)
The Braves' Brooks Conrad just hit a pitch-hit walk-off grand slam that deflected off the Reds' LF's glove and over the wall. His name? Laynce Nix. Bad week for that family.

What an epic implosion by the Reds. Up by 6 in the 9th and lose it. Ouch!

Can't find a thread about it, mentioned in "worst MLB" franchise thread, but Oswalt demanded a trade. First team I thought of was the Nats. If you're their GM you have to kick the tires on it, if you can add Strausburg (sp?) and Oswalt within a 2 week time frame that is something. They would compete for a WC. It could be a franchise defining move.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 22, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
Can't find a thread about it, mentioned in "worst MLB" franchise thread, but Oswalt demanded a trade. First team I thought of was the Nats. If you're their GM you have to kick the tires on it, if you can add Strausburg (sp?) and Oswalt within a 2 week time frame that is something. They would compete for a WC. It could be a franchise defining move.

But I think a lot of people realize that the Nats are still an anomaly.

Even if they do add two pretty good starters soon, I don't think their bullpen or the offense is good enough to get them a wild card.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 22, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
But I think a lot of people realize that the Nats are still an anomaly.

Even if they do add two pretty good starters soon, I don't think their bullpen or the offense is good enough to get them a wild card.

Both their offense and their pitching are in the bottom 1/3 of the NL.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 22, 2010 -> 12:40 PM)
Oswalt does have a full no-trade clause, so I wonder if he would want to go to Washington. Its probably too far away from the love of his life, his tractor in Mississippi

Atlanta sounds good then...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
Atlanta's actually 6th in the NL in runs scored and 8th in ERA.

That doesn't change the fact that, like the Sox, the Braves have 5 starters that they are happy with, and they are extremely unlikely to trade for a starting pitcher. They traded Javy in the offseason because they had more starters than needed. Frankly, now that Glaus is hitting better, the Braves probably won't trade for a bat either (as I'd previously suggested) as the guys not performing (e.g. McLouth) are unlikely to be benched.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ May 22, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
Atlanta doesn't need pitching. If the Braves make a trade, it'll be for a bat, not an expensive starter.

I was talking more about the tractor thing...lol

He could be a good addition to Atlanta. Lowe's been terrible and Jurrjens is hurt right now.

Maybe it might not be a bad idea to replace Kawakami in that rotation.