2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 22, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
I was talking more about the tractor thing...lol

He could be a good addition to Atlanta. Lowe's been terrible and Jurrjens is hurt right now.

Maybe it might not be a bad idea to replace Kawakami in that rotation.

Yeah, I figured it might be more the tractor joke, but Oswalt apparently likes Atlanta as a possible trade destination. I still doubt the Braves pony up the cash for Oswalt.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 22, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
Who are the rumored teams for Oswalt so far? It would be ironic if he goes to the Reds after dominating them throughout his career. Texas seems like an ideal fit, but I can't see those two teams making a trade.

I didn't even realize Roy was having such a good year. I just assumed everybody on that team was replacement level. The Dodgers and Rangers would be perfect fits. It's basically all about how much salary the Astros would pick up.

I can't remember a year where so many no-names, scrubs or guy that haven't done anything of note in years have started off so well:

Ty Wiggington

Jose Bautista

Jose Guillen

Vernon Wells

Kelly Johnson

Rod Barajas

Alex Gonzalez

Jorge Cantu

John Buck

Casey McGehee

None of them will make it as starters, but there's a good chance a few of these guys could be all-stars (and not just because one player from each team is required to go) if they keep this up.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 22, 2010 -> 06:09 PM)
I can't remember a year where so many no-names, scrubs or guy that haven't done anything of note in years have started off so well:

Ty Wiggington

Jose Bautista

Jose Guillen

Vernon Wells

Kelly Johnson

Rod Barajas

Alex Gonzalez

Jorge Cantu

John Buck

Casey McGehee

None of them will make it as starters, but there's a good chance a few of these guys could be all-stars (and not just because one player from each team is required to go) if they keep this up.

Wigginton, Guillen, Wells and Cantu usually have good seasons.

Cantu had 100 RBI lst year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 22, 2010 -> 10:09 PM)

Ty Wiggington

Jose Bautista

Jose Guillen

Vernon Wells

Kelly Johnson

Rod Barajas

Alex Gonzalez

Jorge Cantu

John Buck

Casey McGehee

I just want to say you provide so much to this board with your mentions of baseball not involving the Sox. Thank you!

QUOTE (fathom @ May 22, 2010 -> 05:52 PM)
I just want to say you provide so much to this board with your mentions of baseball not involving the Sox. Thank you!

Baseball fan first. Sox second. And the Sox have made it easy for me to follow other teams more closely.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 22, 2010 -> 06:24 PM)
If only his non-Sox baseball knowledge would help him win in fantasy baseball. :whip

Whatever. I'm right behind you in Zoom's league and rising quickly in two others. lol.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 23, 2010 -> 05:37 PM)
Edwin Encarnacion just hit his 5th HR in the last 3 days. Jose Bautista hit his 14th HR (tied with Konerko for the major league lead). And I suggest anybody who really, really likes offense to start watching more Arizona games. Chase field has become the new Coors.

Can Jose Bautista be 2010's Ben Zobrist?

Utility guy, gets power out of nowhere, etc.

It always seems like that Blue Jay team just has hitters that go out of their mind. Last year, it was Lind and Hill. Now it's Bautista and Gonzalez. You can add Wells in there too.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 23, 2010 -> 05:40 PM)
Can Jose Bautista be 2010's Ben Zobrist?

Utility guy, gets power out of nowhere, etc.

It always seems like that Blue Jay team just has hitters that go out of their mind. Last year, it was Lind and Hill. Now it's Bautista and Gonzalez. You can add Wells in there too.

There's no in-between with the Jays. They're either going to double/HR you to death or K. They're like half Albert Pujols half Chris Davis.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 24, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
Steve Phillips was on WFAN in NY and said he would trade Stephen Strasburg for Roy Oswalt in a second. Um.....

You know, he didn't sound this stupid when he was calling the game on MLB 2K10...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 23, 2010 -> 05:37 PM)
Edwin Encarnacion just hit his 5th HR in the last 3 days. Jose Bautista hit his 14th HR (tied with Konerko for the major league lead). And I suggest anybody who really, really likes offense to start watching more Arizona games. Chase field has become the new Coors.

I leave for two weeks and Jose Bautista is hitting like Mark McGwire. I mean, I didn't expect 14 homers out of Konerko by this point in time, but atleast there is some history of power within Konerko's game. But Jose Bautista?

I also looked at Bautista's career numbers after Gaston named him the leadoff hitter to open the season, and I was wondering what the hell he was leading off for when he's like a career .240 hitter with mediocre plate discipline. Dude's actually been a really solid utility player his entire career, generally around .240/.335/.415, and he's gotten hot for a month. Maybe he can keep it up and hit 30 homers or something crazy.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 25, 2010 -> 09:58 AM)
I leave for two weeks and Jose Bautista is hitting like Mark McGwire. I mean, I didn't expect 14 homers out of Konerko by this point in time, but atleast there is some history of power within Konerko's game. But Jose Bautista?

I also looked at Bautista's career numbers after Gaston named him the leadoff hitter to open the season, and I was wondering what the hell he was leading off for when he's like a career .240 hitter with mediocre plate discipline. Dude's actually been a really solid utility player his entire career, generally around .240/.335/.415, and he's gotten hot for a month. Maybe he can keep it up and hit 30 homers or something crazy.

He did hit 10 HRs with a slugging percentage over .600 during Sept/Oct of last year. So I guess you could say that was a little preview of what was to come.

Ellsbury will be heading back to CF for the Red Sox, even though Cameron is just about to come off the DL.

Following the Red Sox' 6-1 win over the Tampa Bay Rays, Jacoby Ellsbury confirmed what was learned by WEEI.com earlier Monday night -- that he is slated to be manning center field on a regular basis for the Sox, even with the return of Mike Cameron from the 15-day disabled list.

Cameron, who will be activated from the DL Tuesday, had been identified as the Red Sox' starting center fielder prior to the season but was sidelined with a lower abdominal strain after playing in just 11 games.

For Ellsbury, the news was welcomed with open arms.

"That's where I've always played, center," said Ellsbury, who has been playing center field since returning from the disabled list last Saturday, "So, yeah, I was pretty happy about that.

"I think that's definitely my natural position and where you would think I would play. So, yeah, they told me I was going to left and I told them basically whatever would help the team out, I would go to left. Now it's come back around and I'm fine with it."

Part of the impetus for the move appears to be the need to put less strain on Cameron, who continues to adjust to the healing process that goes with his injury. Prior to the Sox' win, the 37-year-old wouldn't specify where he planned on spending the majority of his time.

"Yeah, I should be OK. Yeah, I don't know, you'll have to talk to Tito," said Cameron, who played left field during his rehab stint but has only manned the position three times throughout his 16-year career (with 2000 serving as his last stint in left). "I may even move around a little bit, to different spots."

It certainly sounds like the Red Sox have almost zero confidence in Cameron's ability to stay healthy for the rest of the season, if they're making this move. Cameron's believed to be a much better defensive CF than Ellsbury based on most of the metrics and based on the eye test as well, and he hasn't played anywhere but CF since 2000 except for a stint with the Mets in 2005.

I know others disagree with me on this one...but if the Sox go into full firesale mode, and Boston wins a couple more games to pull close to the Yankees for the wild card...that's a team that could both benefit from and afford to take on Rios.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 25, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
He did hit 10 HRs with a slugging percentage over .600 during Sept/Oct of last year. So I guess you could say that was a little preview of what was to come.

LOL, so 24 homers over his previous 77 games and 223 PA's. That's a sweet little 9.3 PA/HR.