2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)
Ellsbury will be heading back to CF for the Red Sox, even though Cameron is just about to come off the DL.

It certainly sounds like the Red Sox have almost zero confidence in Cameron's ability to stay healthy for the rest of the season, if they're making this move. Cameron's believed to be a much better defensive CF than Ellsbury based on most of the metrics and based on the eye test as well, and he hasn't played anywhere but CF since 2000 except for a stint with the Mets in 2005.

I know others disagree with me on this one...but if the Sox go into full firesale mode, and Boston wins a couple more games to pull close to the Yankees for the wild card...that's a team that could both benefit from and afford to take on Rios.

They'd have to give up a huge package to get him, considering Rios's all around value. I don't care that he has a big contract or that he had a bad year last year - I'd say he's easily a top 10 CF in the game, and those don't get traded for pennies on the dollar when they have 4 years left on their current contract. And, not that I particularly care to add another slap hitting speedster, but Ellsbury would almost certainly have to be involved in it as well, which would make Pierre available to be dealt (and he is a guy you deal for pennies on the dollar)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ May 24, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
Steve Phillips was on WFAN in NY and said he would trade Stephen Strasburg for Roy Oswalt in a second. Um.....

Are Berkman, Pence, and half of Oswalt's and Berkman's salaries getting paid as well?

Silly Steve Phillips.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)
Ellsbury will be heading back to CF for the Red Sox, even though Cameron is just about to come off the DL.

It certainly sounds like the Red Sox have almost zero confidence in Cameron's ability to stay healthy for the rest of the season, if they're making this move. Cameron's believed to be a much better defensive CF than Ellsbury based on most of the metrics and based on the eye test as well, and he hasn't played anywhere but CF since 2000 except for a stint with the Mets in 2005.

I know others disagree with me on this one...but if the Sox go into full firesale mode, and Boston wins a couple more games to pull close to the Yankees for the wild card...that's a team that could both benefit from and afford to take on Rios.

FIRE OZZIE!!!

QUOTE (fathom @ May 26, 2010 -> 11:33 PM)
S. Strasburg to make his debut against the Pirates on the Nationals next home stand.

Already circled June 8th on my calender a couple weeks ago. This is going to be one of those "remember where you were" when Stephen Strasburg made his big league debut moments.

I've run out of adjectives to describe Ubaldo Jimenez. 8 more shutout innings against arguably the best offense in the NL (not saying much, but Arizona is legit). You know you've been good when we're nearly two months in and you're the clear front-runner for the CY in a league that sports Halladay and Lincecum.

Edited by Jordan4life

"I like playing here," Sweeney said. "It's relaxed, and I haven't had one person say anything about my swing or try to change anything. I've made minor adjustments, but with the White Sox, everyone would tell me to change my swing every single day."
Ryan Sweeney

by way of minor league ball via the sf gate link

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 27, 2010 -> 12:21 AM)
I've run out of adjectives to describe Ubaldo Jimenez. 8 more shutout innings against arguably the best offense in the NL (not saying much, but Arizona is legit). You know you've been good when we're nearly two months in and you're the clear front-runner for the CY in a league that sports Halladay and Lincecum.

Especially in Colorado.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 27, 2010 -> 01:06 AM)
Who'd want to f*** with that .729 career OPS?

Admit it, Sweeney would look damn good right now patrolling LF for us and leading off. His .740 OPS this year would look damn good compared to what we put out there on a daily basis.

Also, this brings up an interesting thought about Beckham's struggles. How much advice is he receiving and how much is this organization f***ing with is head right now? How come it seems like we haven't had a hitter come up with us and produce any success (with us!) in years? God damn, the last time we had any prolonged success out of one of our hitting prospects was Joe Crede or Aaron Rowand, and neither of those guys were offensive studs and took at least a couple years to finally produce a little bit. Plus, can this be attributed to Quentin and all the struggles he has had since he came back from injury?

Hitting is just as much physical as it is mental, and I would not be surprised if this team f***s up young hitters' heads.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2010 -> 10:58 AM)
His numbers in RF are excellent, but as a CF, fangraphs counts him as average.

You still can't ignore the combined UZR of +24 over the past two years though. Regardless of where it's at. Plus, he'd fit in real well in LF for this team right now.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 27, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)
You still can't ignore the combined UZR of +24 over the past two years though. Regardless of where it's at. Plus, he'd fit in real well in LF for this team right now.

He still ain't no Franklin Gutierrez. Outside of prime Andruw Jones and a couple years from Torri Hunter in the early 2000's, ain't no OF the caliber of Franklin. But I agree that Sweeney would be a welcome addition in LF right now. That Swisher trade makes me sicker everyday.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 27, 2010 -> 07:04 PM)
He still ain't no Franklin Gutierrez. Outside of prime Andruw Jones and a couple years from Torri Hunter in the early 2000's, ain't no OF the caliber of Franklin. But I agree that Sweeney would be a welcome addition in LF right now. That Swisher trade makes me sicker everyday.

No kidding, especially with Gio becoming a strong starting pitcher.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2010 -> 01:10 PM)
No kidding, especially with Gio becoming a strong starting pitcher.

I really hope DLS doesn't come up soon and just dominate as a set up man. I should be wishing for him to have success, but if he just tears the league up (which is a legit possibility if his arm is healthy), I might have to jump out of a window.

Hell, seeing Ely dominate is making me sick too considering we got garbage in LF. I said before, I don't think Ely will ever be anything to write home about, but his combination of a great change and fantastic command could lead him to being a very solid starter in baseball for a while. Plus, it would have been nice if he could have made his major league debut with us, that would be a great story. Local kid who despises the cubs makes debut with team he grew up idolizing.

I wouldn't be made if we got something decent in return, but we got s***.