2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 28, 2010 -> 08:43 AM)
Alex Gordon once again obliterating minor league pitching: .375/.519/.688/1.207 in 104 PAs. God I wish the Royals would make up their minds on what they're going to do with him. I'd give up anything outside of Hudson/Flowers.

Ka'ahuie not far behind at .327/.496/.614/1.110. Its amazing to me that those two guys are in AAA.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 28, 2010 -> 08:43 AM)
Alex Gordon once again obliterating minor league pitching: .375/.519/.688/1.207 in 104 PAs. God I wish the Royals would make up their minds on what they're going to do with him. I'd give up anything outside of Hudson/Flowers.

I agree. I wanted Alex Gordon last season. I wish the Royals would have traded him instead of dicking him around and moving him to the OF. He was a solid 3B (hell of a lot better than Teahen), and he's still very young (what is he, 25, 26?).

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
I really hope DLS doesn't come up soon and just dominate as a set up man. I should be wishing for him to have success, but if he just tears the league up (which is a legit possibility if his arm is healthy), I might have to jump out of a window.

Hell, seeing Ely dominate is making me sick too considering we got garbage in LF. I said before, I don't think Ely will ever be anything to write home about, but his combination of a great change and fantastic command could lead him to being a very solid starter in baseball for a while. Plus, it would have been nice if he could have made his major league debut with us, that would be a great story. Local kid who despises the cubs makes debut with team he grew up idolizing.

I wouldn't be made if we got something decent in return, but we got s***.

Some trades bite you in the ass. Given Williams' record with dealing minor leaguers, odds are a few of them will eventually be successful. Considering both Gio and Sweeney's games, it's entirely likely and maybe even possible that they'd never be successful in the Cell. Gio is short, which helps flatten out the plane of his pitches and leads to more flyballs, which doesn't work well at USCF. Sweeney is pretty much a gap hitter, so while his defense would play well, his game would be cut down simply because some of those doubles he hits in Oakland turn into singles or even outs in Chicago.

Again, Williams and company f***ed up the scouting report on Swisher and thought they were getting a different type of player. You win some, you lose some. I'm just glad he realized that the Sox were going to need a replacement for Thome in the near future; he just got the wrong guy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 28, 2010 -> 08:58 AM)
Ka'ahuie not far behind at .327/.496/.614/1.110. Its amazing to me that those two guys are in AAA.

He was up in the majors briefly this year. The Royals clearly need to move those two, either to Kansas City or somewhere else to gain on that value, because those two tearing apart AAA isn't going to do them any good at the MLB level.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ May 29, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
I can't wait to see what Stanton does in the pros. He's been absolutely raping in AA.

I think you would've had a ROY race for the ages between Heyward/Stanton had he started the season in Florida.

OT: Anybody see who Strasburg is in line to face leading up to the all-star break? Assuming no rainouts, ect, he's set up to pitch against the Pirates, Indians, White Sox, Orioles, Braves, Padres and Giants. Wow! This is going to be something special.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ May 29, 2010 -> 09:00 AM)
Buster Posey has been called up by the Giants. :)

Bout time. He and Santana really should have been up a month ago. Indians are still on the politics stage with the arbitration rule, not to mention they suck anyways.

They really need to do something about that Super-2 rule because it truly has gotten to the point where teams aren't bringing up their best players to retain a year of service. It's stupid and I really don't think it's good for the game at all.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 29, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
They really need to do something about that Super-2 rule because it truly has gotten to the point where teams aren't bringing up their best players to retain a year of service. It's stupid and I really don't think it's good for the game at all.

Why would you even have a rule like that's so easy to manipulate (and in most cases blatantly so)?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
Why would you even have a rule like that's so easy to manipulate (and in most cases blatantly so)?

It's really just stupid. I imagine the entire point of the rule was to get young players paid more quickly, but instead of helping them, it's just hurting them.

The problem is, you have to have some set guideline for service time that these guys do have to get more than the minimum raise. If you say it's 3 full years of service, teams can simply keep a player down for like the first 5-10 days of a season, and then call them up, and they'll fall short. Maybe you can go to some sort of arbitration case, but that gets messy and creates bad blood between the player and the team. It is definitely something that needs to be taken into consideration during the next CBA.

Toronto with 4 more bombs today. They've hit a whopping 50 this month (85 overall). Watching them is kinda like watching a fast-paced team NBA or college team that just launches 3's all game long. They just go up their hacking. They don't wait. You throw them a FB early in the count, they're swinging.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 29, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)

I definitely see your point and agreeing some tweeking needs to be done, but I also thing with no salary cap, there has to be some protection for the smaller market clubs.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 29, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
It is definitely something that needs to be taken into consideration during the next CBA.

I'm not sure there's any way around it at this point...when the difference in salary between an arb-eligible player and a pre-arb player has gotten so high. What's worth more wins to you, the $15 million you save by holding the guy pre-arb for another year, or the 2 months of having the rookie up.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2010 -> 03:01 PM)
Toronto with 4 more bombs today. They've hit a whopping 50 this month (85 overall). Watching them is kinda like watching a fast-paced team NBA or college team that just launches 3's all game long. They just go up their hacking. They don't wait. You throw them a FB early in the count, they're swinging.

You gotta wonder if anybody who pitches against them will freaking adjust...

Kendry Morales is out for a while.

Kendry Morales fractured his lower left leg while celebrating his game-ending grand slam in the 10th inning to give the Los Angeles Angels a 5-1 victory over the Seattle Mariners on Saturday.

Morales is scheduled to undergo surgery on Sunday. He was leading the club in batting average (.290), home runs (11), total bases (94) and RBI (39).

Morales connected with one out and circled the bases to a waiting celebration. He leaped toward home plate and landed awkwardly.

He was placed on the 15-day disabled list.

The Angels are in a pretty dire spot here. The best in-house option is probably Mark Trumbo. However, he has a huge problem with his K-rate. Another option is to promote Hank Conger (a catcher) and play Napoli at first. Neither is ideal. Honestly, i'm starting to see how someone like Konerko would appeal to them.