2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 31, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
I'll admit the NL is easier for starting pitchers because they get to face the pitcher which is the closest thing to an automatic out in baseball. However, people blow the difference dramatically out of proportion.

Vazquez, Javy.

That's all you really need to know. And it's not coincidence that guys like Brad Penny, Jon Garland, John Smoltz (last year), ect, get anally raped in the AL, get traded or signed by an NL team, only to prosper. There have been extensive studies done over the last decade or so detailing the differences between the two leagues. And it's not just because the pitcher might bat three times a game.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 31, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)
You could not have been more right. Lincecum has really struggled mentally and has allowed 5 BBs this game in 5.2 IP giving up 4 ER and 6 hits (could have been more) and only 3 Ks. Jimenez on the other hand so far has 8 Ks, 1 BB and only 2 hits in 5 IP. He has just been dominant this whole game clearly outshining Timmy. Very nice call/pwnage on your end. Didn't realize Timmy was really laboring that much recently.

Yeah, gotta give Shack some props. Lincy doesn't look right at the moment. And Ubaldo is basically Bob Gibson.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 31, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
I know the NL sucks. Everybody says it. But why oh why are NL and AL teams tied after that first weekend of interleague play this year. If the NL is as bad as everybody says, wouldn't the AL just simply dominate head to head competition? I mean win almost every game? The way people talk is it's like the NL is a minor league team versus the Rays every night.

Give me a break, greg. That's like saying we're as good as Tampa because we just split a series with them.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 31, 2010 -> 06:59 PM)
Yeah, gotta give Shack some props. Lincy doesn't look right at the moment. And Ubaldo is basically Bob Gibson.

Did Lincecum bother to check the runners today?

I think his start last week was the first time I have ever seen a pitcher not even bother to look at runners.

When he's got his good stuff, I don't know how anyone can hit Jimenez's fastball. The amount of movement he gets on his 97-99 mph fastball is ridiculous.

I mean, when you throw that fast, naturally the ball isn't supposed to get that much movement because it arrives to the plate so fast (hence why all the best sinker ball pitchers usually sit around the low 90's), but he's got the magic grip it seems like.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 31, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
I know the NL sucks. Everybody says it. But why oh why are NL and AL teams tied after that first weekend of interleague play this year. If the NL is as bad as everybody says, wouldn't the AL just simply dominate head to head competition? I mean win almost every game? The way people talk is it's like the NL is a minor league team versus the Rays every night.

Give me as many examples of NL-turned-AL pitchers as AL-turned-NL, and that have had a such great turnarounds like Garland, Silva, etc. Hell, even Doc is doing a lot better against the NL, and he was already pretty damn good.

He's been lucky.

His FIP and xFIP are in the mid 4s. That won't last forever.

That's just unfair saying he's only been "lucky."

Totally unfair.

Check some of his lines in the games he's pitched.

I guess anytime the NL beats an AL team it's just "luck." Let's see it on the field, White Sox. Beat the s*** out of this inferior league. Sox/Cubs series is deadlocked all time I believe. This year's AL-NL is deadlocked.

It's only luck when Garland wins and only bad luck when we lose to an NL team.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2010 -> 09:55 PM)
Arizona have the worst bullpen in the history of baseball? They lost tonight on a balk. Quite comical to watch, especially since they have the best TV announcer in baseball.

Their bullpen blew one yesterday against the Giants.

I watch a lot of their games because I enjoy seeing the NL West...and every game it seems to be "And the DBacks bullpen finds a way to blow another one..."

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 12:42 AM)
Their bullpen blew one yesterday against the Giants.

I watch a lot of their games because I enjoy seeing the NL West...and every game it seems to be "And the DBacks bullpen finds a way to blow another one..."

Their bullpen ERA through May 30th was 7.68. That's got to be some kinda record through two months. I'm too lazy to look it up. Hopefully Kalapse or qwerty can provide some insight.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 12:47 AM)
Their bullpen ERA through May 30th was 7.68. That's got to be some kinda record through two months. I'm too lazy to look it up. Hopefully Kalapse or qwerty can provide some insight.

I have a feeling our bullpen might have challenged them some months between June and Sept of 07'...:) :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 31, 2010 -> 11:19 PM)
That's just unfair saying he's only been "lucky."

Totally unfair.

Check some of his lines in the games he's pitched.

I guess anytime the NL beats an AL team it's just "luck." Let's see it on the field, White Sox. Beat the s*** out of this inferior league. Sox/Cubs series is deadlocked all time I believe. This year's AL-NL is deadlocked.

It's only luck when Garland wins and only bad luck when we lose to an NL team.

This has nothing to do with NL/AL matchups.

This is just saying that Jon Garland is due for a sharp, sharp regression sometime soon and that what he's put up thus far has been quite the fluke (ie luck).

Plus, do you know any other starting pitchers with a ERA in the low 2s with a 1.33 WHIP? I don't.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 02:24 PM)
This has nothing to do with NL/AL matchups.

This is just saying that Jon Garland is due for a sharp, sharp regression sometime soon and that what he's put up thus far has been quite the fluke (ie luck).

Plus, do you know any other starting pitchers with a ERA in the low 2s with a 1.33 WHIP? I don't.

Since 1901 there have only been 9 occurrences of a starting pitcher finishing the year with an ERA under 2.50 and a WHIP north of 1.300. The last time it happened was 1942 when Hal Newhouser put up a 2.45 ERA and a 1.367 WHIP all other occurrences took place prior to 1920.

1.250 WHIP: 1952, Mike Garcia. 16 other occurances, 1 in the 40's all others prior to 1920

The highest WHIP with an ERA of 2.40 or under in modern baseball was Chuck Finley in 1990 who had a 2.40 ERA and 1.233 WHIP. Beyond Finley in '90 we have to go all the way down to the 1.196 WHIP and 2.27 ERA Peavy put up in 2004.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
Since 1901 there have only been 9 occurrences of a starting pitcher finishing the year with and ERA under 2.50 and a WHIP north of 1.300. The last time it happened was 1942 when Hal Newhouser put up a 2.45 ERA and a 1.367 WHIP all other occurrences took place prior to 1920.

1.250 WHIP: 1952, Mike Garcia. 16 other occurances, 1 in the 40's all others prior to 1920

The highest WHIP with an ERA of 2.40 or under in modern baseball was Chuck Finley in 1990 who had a 2.40 ERA and 1.233 WHIP. Beyond Finley in '90 we have to go all the way down to the 1.196 WHIP and 2.27 ERA Peavy put up in 2004.

Man, you sure had some fun with Baseball-Reference didn't you?

Good stuff.

Wbat ptcher aside from Halladay who is doing well isn't due for a sharp regression? Consistency isn't exactly something many big leaguers have nowadays.

I think Garland deserves credit.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
Wbat ptcher aside from Halladay who is doing well isn't due for a sharp regression? Consistency isn't exactly something many big leaguers have nowadays.

I think Garland deserves credit.

When I mean sharp, I mean two runs in the ERA sharp. I don't think many pitchers other than Livan Hernandez are due for a surprise that big.

Worth noting is the season Adrian Beltre is having. Nothing out of this world, but an .865 OPS plus good defense is a steal at $10 mill.

Just for s***s and giggles (and I'm really not one to second guess)

Beltre ($10) + Thome ($1.5 + ~$300K in incentives) + 3 minimum salary reserves = $13 mill

Pierre ($3) + Teahen ($3.75) + Kotsay ($1.5) + Vizquel ($1.375) + Castro ($1 mill) = $10.625

That's not including poorly spent money with the likes of Linebrink ($5 mill this year, $5.5 next) and arguably Jenks ($7.25, although the Sox needed a closer and it would have been impossible to envision a guy like Rafael Soriano becoming available for cheap during the free agency process).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 08:43 PM)
Worth noting is the season Adrian Beltre is having. Nothing out of this world, but an .865 OPS plus good defense is a steal at $10 mill.

Just for s***s and giggles (and I'm really not one to second guess)

Beltre ($10) + Thome ($1.5 + ~$300K in incentives) + 3 minimum salary reserves = $13 mill

Pierre ($3) + Teahen ($3.75) + Kotsay ($1.5) + Vizquel ($1.375) + Castro ($1 mill) = $10.625

That's not including poorly spent money with the likes of Linebrink ($5 mill this year, $5.5 next) and arguably Jenks ($7.25, although the Sox needed a closer and it would have been impossible to envision a guy like Rafael Soriano becoming available for cheap during the free agency process).

Speaking of underrated 3B, I've got to give massive props to Walt Jocketty for the Scott Rolen acquisition last year. I thought he was sniffin' glue. That move has turned out to be outstanding, as Rolen has been one of the best two-way players in baseball this season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 12:34 AM)
Speaking of underrated 3B, I've got to give massive props to Walt Jocketty for the Scott Rolen acquisition last year. I thought he was sniffin' glue. That move has turned out to be outstanding, as Rolen has been one of the best two-way players in baseball this season.

I was all over the Scott Rolen bandwagon last year. I wanted him bad and he would look dead sexy at 3B. IIRC, the Reds didn't give up much for him and he is fairly cheap.

Speaking of the Reds though, I love their lineup. I'd probably put Votto in my top 5 list of best hitters in baseball. And even though he does have ego issues and tries to be the greatest home run hitter ever, I love me some Brandon Phillips.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 05:48 AM)
I was all over the Scott Rolen bandwagon last year. I wanted him bad and he would look dead sexy at 3B. IIRC, the Reds didn't give up much for him and he is fairly cheap.

Speaking of the Reds though, I love their lineup. I'd probably put Votto in my top 5 list of best hitters in baseball. And even though he does have ego issues and tries to be the greatest home run hitter ever, I love me some Brandon Phillips.

They need Jenks to be their set-up man. I was all over J. Gomes in the offseason, and he's done a great job for the Reds so far. They suffered a tough injury when the extremely underrated Ryan Hanigan went on the DL.