2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 12:48 AM)
I was all over the Scott Rolen bandwagon last year. I wanted him bad and he would look dead sexy at 3B. IIRC, the Reds didn't give up much for him and he is fairly cheap.

Speaking of the Reds though, I love their lineup. I'd probably put Votto in my top 5 list of best hitters in baseball. And even though he does have ego issues and tries to be the greatest home run hitter ever, I love me some Brandon Phillips.

It's teams like the Reds, Braves, Rockies, Rays and Rangers that make me want to gargle broken glass when looking at the White Sox organization as a whole.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say lets try and get Yonder Alonso, but odds are the Reds are gonna save him for a starting pitcher and I'm not sold on him as we wouldn't want a Matt Laporta situation on our hands. Alonso does look like he could be good, but his minor league numbers thus far scream Casey Kotchman to me.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 01:48 AM)
I was all over the Scott Rolen bandwagon last year. I wanted him bad and he would look dead sexy at 3B. IIRC, the Reds didn't give up much for him and he is fairly cheap.

Speaking of the Reds though, I love their lineup. I'd probably put Votto in my top 5 list of best hitters in baseball. And even though he does have ego issues and tries to be the greatest home run hitter ever, I love me some Brandon Phillips.

I'd say most people actually thought the Reds overpaid for Rolen and gave up a fairly large amount for a guy the Blue Jays wanted to dump for salary relief anyway.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
By the way, the Braves just took over the NL East lead.

They did that a couple days ago. They just extended their lead today.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
This is a fun team to watch. With the D-Backs sucking, they might move into the lead for, "NL team i might have to root for."

Troy Glaus has gone nuts the last month. They're getting crazy production from Eric Hinske and Martin Prado. They'll need guys like Escobar and McClouth to start hitting. I still think they'll need another bat before it's all said and done. But I think it's safe to say that the Braves are back to being a factor in the NL again.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
Troy Glaus has gone nuts the last month. They're getting crazy production from Eric Hinske and Martin Prado. They'll need guys like Escobar and McClouth to start hitting. I still think they'll need another bat before it's all said and done. But I think it's safe to say that the Braves are back to being a factor in the NL again.

I think they might be a fit for Andruw Jones. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
I think they might be a fit for Andruw Jones. :lolhitting

Ha. All jokes aside, if they really want to go for it, they've got a bevy of premium pitching prospects they could dangle. Most notably Julio Teheran, Mike Minor and Arodys Vizcaino.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 04:39 PM)
Ha. All jokes aside, if they really want to go for it, they've got a bevy of premium pitching prospects they could dangle. Most notably Julio Teheran, Mike Minor and Arodys Vizcaino.

Normally, if I were in that position, I'd lean towards holding them, especially since they've had a lot of issues finding funds to fill holes the past few years (i.e. their overturning hole at 1b every year, their bullpen, a power bat). And since Heyward is probably only going to get better from there, that's a reason for holding too.

But you know...it is Cox's last chance.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
Normally, if I were in that position, I'd lean towards holding them, especially since they've had a lot of issues finding funds to fill holes the past few years (i.e. their overturning hole at 1b every year, their bullpen, a power bat). And since Heyward is probably only going to get better from there, that's a reason for holding too.

But you know...it is Cox's last chance.

Good points. But it's nice to have those options. And like you said, it appears to be Cox's last dance.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
This is a fun team to watch. With the D-Backs sucking, they might move into the lead for, "NL team i might have to root for."

Fine you go root for them, and I'll keep rooting for my second favorite team the Rockies thank you very much. :P

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 07:31 PM)
Classic case of you can't replace 25 players so blame the manager. That roster has been deplorable. Led by Matt Wieters and Adam Jones, who have both been massive disappointments.

Beckham for Weiters + Jones.

Anyway...when talented guys disappoint, who gets the blame, is it the talented guys alone, or is it the staff of the team as well?

(This question applies equally well in Chicago).

I was watching highlights of that Jimenez pitch, and I remembered thinking that was a filthy change-up. Then, I looked up and it was 99 mph!! His 90 mph splitter is just a ridiculous pitch, the true definition of Nintendo stuff. BTW, the Strasburg hype has gotten me pumped up for Tuesday. I already DVR'd that game in case I'm not back from work in time. Speaking of Nationals, anyone see the 9th inning of that game yesterday? First C. Lee misplays a Willie Harris triple badly, and then Guzman misses a routine fly ball in RIGHT FIELD! C. Lee follows with a walk-off.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 08:13 AM)

I was watching that game on MLB Network, and I was flummoxed. I didn't even know how to describe the pitch, and I think I ended up concluding it a combination of a 99 MPH cutter and a 99 MPH sinker, since it kind of moved like both. Then again, neither of those pitches ever go close to 99 MPH, let alone a combination of both. Or you could combine them and say it was a 99 MPH backdoor slider, or maybe a 99 MPH curveball, or a 99 MPH slurve, or even a 99 MPH knuckleball. Anyways, whatever it was, it was absolutely sick.

Edited by whitesoxfan101