2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 06:38 PM)
Wow, anyone see Carlos Gomez throw his bat after he popped out in extras? He threw it all the way to first base, if not farther.

Lucky ALbert was walking away from it. Gomez has problems in his head.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 09:17 PM)
Not a chance in hell anyone could guess NL batting average leader going into today unless they looked at the league leader list.

I knew it. But that's only because of fantasy baseball. The Braves are getting premium production from a bevy of guys who you didn't expect it from (Prado, Hinske, Glaus).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 05:11 AM)
I knew it. But that's only because of fantasy baseball. The Braves are getting premium production from a bevy of guys who you didn't expect it from (Prado, Hinske, Glaus).

And it's not like Chipper has been his usual great self this year. I'm not really sure how they're winning, but Billy Wagner has to be one of the biggest freaks to ever play baseball. I mean that in the talented way, and not the scary way.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
but Billy Wagner has to be one of the biggest freaks to ever play baseball. I mean that in the talented way, and not the scary way.

I laugh cause that man really is amazing. Crazy to think he used to throw right-handed.

I am convinced when he is age 50, he will probably still bring it at 93-95 mph. Future hall of famer for sure.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
And it's not like Chipper has been his usual great self this year. I'm not really sure how they're winning, but Billy Wagner has to be one of the biggest freaks to ever play baseball. I mean that in the talented way, and not the scary way.

Chipper is basically the 2005 version of Jeff Bagwell. The Braves are winning with really good starting pitching and a rejuvenated offense (led by Glaus). Wagner is one of the best closers I've ever seen when healthy. I'll never forget the year, I think it was 2003, when the Astros had Wagner, Lidge and Dotel. Filthiest bullpen trio I can remember.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 11:24 PM)
Chipper is basically the 2005 version of Jeff Bagwell. The Braves are winning with really good starting pitching and a rejuvenated offense (led by Glaus). Wagner is one of the best closers I've ever seen when healthy. I'll never forget the year, I think it was 2003, when the Astros had Wagner, Lidge and Dotel. Filthiest bullpen trio I can remember.

I believe that was the year they had about 6 pitchers combined to no-hit the Yanks. IIRC, Oswalt went down with an injury in like the 4th.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 10:39 AM)
My new favorite part of the Galarraga close play at first is the reaction of the Indians trainer in the dugout. MLB Network is replaying that game tomorrow, and they keep showing clips of it. The guy's reaction is priceless.

What did he do?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
Just shaking his head saying "wow". Looked like he saw a ghost.

I can understand what happened...their were two many legs and feet converging at one time. When I saw it for the first time, I couldn't tell who was stepping on the bag when.

I blame stupid Cabrera. If he would have just let the 2b take that ball and covered the base, it would have been a simple play.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)
Great ending to the Pirates/Giants game last night with Milledge making a fantastic diving catch to preserve the win. Is Andrew McCutcheon the best young offensive player in baseball?

That would be Longoria. But yeah, McCutchen is pretty damn spectacular. The dreaded sophomore slump certainly hasn't gobbled him up into the baseball abyss of suckage (Beckham). He's the only reason to watch that team whatsoever. Imagine him in a legitimate lineup? I really hope the Pirates take Machado. That'd be a hell of a core to build around in McCutchen, Alvarez and Machado.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 02:03 PM)
Rumor has it that Mike Stanton has been called up by the Marlins. There are some terrific young players in baseball. I wish the Sox had a few more. Hopefully Dayan Viciedo, Trayce Thompson and Jared Mitchell pan out.

Can't have a few more when you have none to begin with (well, aside from Danks).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
Can't have a few more when you have none to begin with (well, aside from Danks).

That Beckham guy we tried out last year looked pretty good and I thought he was pretty young? Whatever happened to him?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
That Beckham guy we tried out last year looked pretty good and I thought he was pretty young? Whatever happened to him?

GB is starting from scratch as far as I'm concerned. All the good that was last year has been twice as bad this year. I'd feel a lot better if he had been injured or something like that.