2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 12:09 AM)
Please tell me someone else was watching top of 9th in Dodgers/Giants game. I can honestly say I've never seen that before. Mattingly went to mound to talk to Broxton, took a step off the mound, and then took two steps back to say one more thing to him. Giants manager saw this, and told the umpires that should count as two visits. Broxton was forced to leave, and Dodgers had no one warming up.

I watched it. One of the craziest things I've ever seen. Have to give Bochy a ton of credit for calling them on that.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 09:03 PM)
Lincecum vs Kershaw in a few minutes. Just busted 11 nuts. I'm going to be doing quite a bit of channel flipping between this and the Sox.

WTF is wrong with Lincecum??

April: 1.27 ERA, 0.82 WHIP

May: 4.95 ERA, 1.54 WHIP

June: 3.09 ERA, 1.41 WHIP

July: 3.38 ERA, 1.35 WHIP

I know those are great numbers for most pitchers, but not for him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 12:09 AM)
Please tell me someone else was watching top of 9th in Dodgers/Giants game. I can honestly say I've never seen that before. Mattingly went to mound to talk to Broxton, took a step off the mound, and then took two steps back to say one more thing to him. Giants manager saw this, and told the umpires that should count as two visits. Broxton was forced to leave, and Dodgers had no one warming up.

Why was Mattingly (the hitting coach) talking to Broxton on the mound?

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 03:54 AM)
I always thought that you had to cross the foul line in order for it to count as a trip to the mound.

Seems awful shaky to me.

From a Yahoo story, Rule 8.06 of the Official Baseball Rules stipulates a trip to the mound begins when a manager or coach crosses the foul line and ends when he leaves the 18-foot dirt circle surrounding the pitcher’s rubber. Returning to the dirt constitutes a second trip, at which point the pitcher must be removed.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 08:36 AM)
Why was Mattingly (the hitting coach) talking to Broxton on the mound?

Torre had been ejected earlier. Why pitching coach Rick Honeycutt didn't come out to talk to a pitcher??? I don't know.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 04:11 AM)
WTF is wrong with Lincecum??

April: 1.27 ERA, 0.82 WHIP

May: 4.95 ERA, 1.54 WHIP

June: 3.09 ERA, 1.41 WHIP

July: 3.38 ERA, 1.35 WHIP

I know those are great numbers for most pitchers, but not for him.

He's been off all year. I'll probably check fangraphs and see exactly what's up.

Torre had been ejected earlier. Why pitching coach Rick Honeycutt didn't come out to talk to a pitcher??? I don't know.

Well that would explain the gaffe. Hitting coaches obviously aren't going to be keen to going out to the mound to talk to a pitcher.

Simply put, Lincecum's just not as good as he was a year ago. The FIP and xFIP are up with his ERA, he's no longer a super dominant pitcher.

He's given up more home runs, his change-up has been much less effective than it was last year resulting in less Ks. He's also walking more people. It might be a combination of things.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
Talks between the Phillies/Astros are said to be "heavy" in a deal that would send Roy Oswalt to Philadelphia.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/21/sources...for-roy-oswalt/

Amaro Jr. gets an epic fail for not just bringing back Cliff Lee.

He should have never traded him to begin with.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 12:35 PM)
He should have never traded him to begin with.

FanGraphs just did a good article on this, and how Amaro Jr apparently feels the need to maintain a good farm system while keeping a good product on the field. It has really cost the Phillies this year, because adding Lee to that team would have made them quite a bit more dangerous, and damn near unbeatable in the postseason.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
FanGraphs just did a good article on this, and how Amaro Jr apparently feels the need to maintain a good farm system while keeping a good product on the field. It has really cost the Phillies this year, because adding Lee to that team would have made them quite a bit more dangerous, and damn near unbeatable in the postseason.

He traded Drabek anyhow, somebody he didn't want to trade last year. Amaro Jr. isn't exactly the smartest fish in the sea. After all, just look at that contract he gave Ryan Howard.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 08:45 AM)
From a Yahoo story, Rule 8.06 of the Official Baseball Rules stipulates a trip to the mound begins when a manager or coach crosses the foul line and ends when he leaves the 18-foot dirt circle surrounding the pitcher’s rubber. Returning to the dirt constitutes a second trip, at which point the pitcher must be removed.

The mound is that big? 18 feet seems off.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 08:43 PM)
So, this Pedro Alvarez guy isn't that bad!

Best player from the '08 draft. No doubt in my mind. And I can't help but feel good that the Pirates and their fans FINALLY have not one but two (McCutchen being the other) legitimate future superstar players to embrace and build around. Those fans deserve it.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 08:45 PM)
Best player from the '08 draft. No doubt in my mind. And I can't help but feel good that the Pirates and their fans FINALLY have not one but two (McCutchen being the other) legitimate future superstar players to embrace and build around. Those fans deserve it.

I think the catcher they took is having success in minors too and Jose Tabata/Neil Walker look like solid players too. I hope they can have success soon.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 08:55 PM)
I think the catcher they took is having success in minors too and Jose Tabata/Neil Walker look like solid players too. I hope they can have success soon.

Tony Sanchez. Then you've got Jameson Taillon and Stetson Allie who they took with their first two picks this past draft. The future is definitely looking good for the Pirates.