2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 01:35 AM)
How is this possible? What the hell do the Cards have in their system that Houston could possibly want? Carpenter/Wainwright/Oswalt. That's kinda scary come October.

Shelby Miller is the only legitimate guy they have. He would have to be in the deal.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 06:57 AM)
I can't see a team essentially handing the NL pennant to a division rival.

I don't think Houston really cares, to be honest. If the Cards offer Shelby Miller and Jason Motte and a prospect, Houston should easily do that.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 01:57 AM)
I can't see a team essentially handing the NL pennant to a division rival.

If you are as bad as the Astros are why would you care? You just take the best package you can get for Oswalt because it isn't like they are going to be competing for division titles anytime soon.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 02:32 PM)
The best pitcher in baseball (Josh Johnson) continues to make mince meat of NL lineups: 6.1 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 11 K. ERA now stands at 1.61.

While Adam Wainwright tries to keep pace with Johnson, 6 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 6 K. ERA at 1.94

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
It's a wrap if the Cardinals get Oswalt.

Considering Wainwright/Carp/Garcia is already the best 1-2-3 in the league, then yeah I'd have to agree.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
Best player from the '08 draft. No doubt in my mind. And I can't help but feel good that the Pirates and their fans FINALLY have not one but two (McCutchen being the other) legitimate future superstar players to embrace and build around. Those fans deserve it.

• On Pedro Alvarez: "He'll hit some home runs. But with any other team, he wouldn't be up here, and he certainly wouldn't be batting where he's batting in the order. He has holes that he's going to have to close, and it's harder to close them in the big leagues than it would be in other places because he's not going to get a lot of protection. It's too early to say what he's going to be. But the other young players I've seen come up don't have as many holes as this guy. And he's certainly going to get exposed as people get more of a book on him."
Stark.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)

lol@"He'll hit some home runs." Gee, Stark really going out on a limb there. The only question for Alvarez in my mind is will he be able to stick at third. The guy's got Ryan Howard power potential. That type of production as a 3B=superstar.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
Stark is a Phillies fan, so he might have a hatred towards Pirates players. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Alvarez hit for more power in his career than Stanton or Hayward.

I would be shocked actually. (even in that park where Jason will probably have a s***load of XBH) Already got a leg up in age and potentially more raw power... idk fathom.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 10:57 PM)
I would be shocked actually. (even in that park where Jason will probably have a s***load of XBH) Already got a leg up in age and potentially more raw power... idk fathom.

We've never seen a true lefty power hitter play 81 games though at PNC Park. You also have to wonder if he'll get better pitches to hit due to the Pirates being out of more games, as opposed to the Braves being a lot more competitive.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
We've never seen a true lefty power hitter play 81 games though at PNC Park. You also have to wonder if he'll get better pitches to hit due to the Pirates being out of more games, as opposed to the Braves being a lot more competitive.

Not arguing this year, but in his career? I think the Pirates will also be right up here in about four-five years when their guys develop.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
Not arguing this year, but in his career? I think the Pirates will also be right up here in about four-five years when their guys develop.

I wouldn't bet on it because you know when those guys get near or to arbitration, they'll be traded off.

That is why I hope KW just sends a feeler every once in awhile to Pitt that says, "How is that McCutchen kid feelin?"

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 10:01 PM)

No, the next 3-4 years. By then, Alvarez will get traded to the Cubs or Yankees and rake even more. I'm intrigued by a possible 1-2-3-4 of the order in Tabata, Walker, McCutcheon, and Alvarez.