2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

Is it me, or are the Giants one big bat away from being downright scary? Andres Torres has been one of the best all-around players in baseball. Aubrey Huff's sporting a wOBA of .404. Buster Posey is 1997 Mike Piazza. If Pablo Sandoval starts hitting? Wow. But they've got to upgrade 1B. Travis Ishikawa is too much suck. I don't even have to talk about their rotation (looks like Bumgarner found his velocity). Underrated bullpen. Just a lot to like.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 07:17 PM)
Strasburg has been scratched from his start tonight after injuring himself during warm-ups. No word on how serious.

Ben Goessling, MASN:

Boos for Miguel Batista as he warms up. There's a steady agitated murmur at #Nationals Park right now. 12 minutes ago via TweetDeck

And an update:

Rizzo said #Strasburg had trouble getting loose in the bullpen. They'll do an x-ray and MRI on his arm. Precautionary for now -- no pain. 3 minutes ago via TweetDeck

They're calling it shoulder inflammation for now.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 01:07 AM)
Is it me, or are the Giants one big bat away from being downright scary? Andres Torres has been one of the best all-around players in baseball. Aubrey Huff's sporting a wOBA of .404. Buster Posey is 1997 Mike Piazza. If Pablo Sandoval starts hitting? Wow. But they've got to upgrade 1B. Travis Ishikawa is too much suck. I don't even have to talk about their rotation (looks like Bumgarner found his velocity). Underrated bullpen. Just a lot to like.

Yesterday, I made the mistake of flipping on ESPN for a bit, and they were discussing trade possibilities. The question to Bobby Valentine is "what's the one trade that needs to be made". His answer was that the Giants needed to trade this year's Pablo Sandoval for last year's Pablo Sandoval. I was somewhat confused...because that's um...NOT A TRADE YOU IDIOT!

Sorry, had to say that one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 08:10 AM)
With the type of mechanics he has...would you worry more about the shoulder or the elbow?

Shoulder first, but there are always compensations that could translate it to the elbow.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 10:06 AM)
He could be depending on how long he lasts.

Santana's basically a lock. Maybe the only pitcher of the last decade that I think will make it in no matter what.

One interesting thing about the current crop of top tier pitchers is that we're going to wind up with a lot of outstanding pitchers who aren't going to be very good in terms of counting stats. It'll be interesting to see how they get evaluated.

Strasburg shut down for next start and maybe start after.

They're being precautionary, which is a smart thing to do.

But this has to raise some eyebrows and it just goes to show that those people who have been b****ing about his mechanics could be right (like they usually are).

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 08:30 PM)
Santana's basically a lock. Maybe the only pitcher of the last decade that I think will make it in no matter what.

One interesting thing about the current crop of top tier pitchers is that we're going to wind up with a lot of outstanding pitchers who aren't going to be very good in terms of counting stats. It'll be interesting to see how they get evaluated.

Well the same can be said for hitters, but of the completely opposite spectrum. There have been like 10 guys who have gotten to 500 homers in the past 10 years, and there were only 15 in the history of the game before that (with Eddie Murray being the last guy I count in the "old" era). How do you evaluate them?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
Strasburg shut down for next start and maybe start after.

They're being precautionary, which is a smart thing to do.

But this has to raise some eyebrows and it just goes to show that those people who have been b****ing about his mechanics could be right (like they usually are).

The Nationals placed him on the DL, retroactive to July 22nd.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:49 AM)
The Nationals placed him on the DL, retroactive to July 22nd.

LOL, does anyone want to give me odds that Mark Prior will have a longer/better career than Strasburg???

I'm 50/50 whether or not that should be in green font

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:54 AM)
LOL, does anyone want to give me odds that Mark Prior will have a longer/better career than Strasburg???

I'm 50/50 whether or not that should be in green font

ESPN will be very sad that this hall of fame pitchers career was cut short

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)

Torres was a White Sox at one point.