2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)
True. But man. Ellsbury, Cameron, Pedroia, Martinez, Beckett, Buchholz and now Youk are either currently on or spent a considerable amount of time on the DL. I actually think they might be the best team in baseball with a healthy roster.

I think the Yankees are better (or atleast have a more talented lineup), but I didn't realize how bad their bullpen has been. Mo has been the only reliever worth a s***.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)
I think the Yankees are better (or atleast have a more talented lineup), but I didn't realize how bad their bullpen has been. Mo has been the only reliever worth a s***.

I don't know about that. Ortiz has gone 2006 (.977 OPS) on everybody the last three months and change. Then you've got Beltre, who's arguably been the best 3B in baseball, sporting a .937 OPS and .401 wOBA (9th overall). Nobody saw those two having the years they've had. Combine that with a healthy Ellsbury, Pedroia, Cameron, Youk and Martinez, and I think they're better, at least this year. And I hate defending the Red Sox in any manner. But I gotta be real.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 11:24 AM)
I don't know about that. Ortiz has gone 2006 (.977 OPS) on everybody the last three months and change. Then you've got Beltre, who's arguably been the best 3B in baseball, sporting a .937 OPS and .401 wOBA (9th overall). Nobody saw those two having the years they've had. Combine that with a healthy Ellsbury, Pedroia, Cameron, Youk and Martinez, and I think they're better, at least this year. And I hate defending the Red Sox in any manner. But I gotta be real.

I don't think it matters either way. And I think Tampa, Boston, and New York at 1a, 1b, and 1c overall. As a baseball fan, it sucks that one of those teams isn't going to make the postseason, but I think any fan (outside of Boston) can appreciate the fact that one of the Yankee/Red Sox hype machine won't make it to the postseason (though, to also be fair, 5.5 games isn't an astronomical jump in the final 2 months of the season).

I loved what the Red Sox did in the off-season, I really thought they'd be a wild card winner or at least in contention for the WC at this point.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 11:36 AM)
I loved what the Red Sox did in the off-season, I really thought they'd be a wild card winner or at least in contention for the WC at this point.

I think it was Kalapse that wanted us to take a chance on Beltre. He gave a pretty good analysis on why he wasn't anywhere near the contract albatross he was perceived to be in Seattle. I think he and Vlad have been the two best bargains in baseball this year. But hey, we got Teahen and Kotsay. What more can one ask for?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
I think it was Kalapse that wanted us to take a chance on Beltre. He gave a pretty good analysis on why he wasn't anywhere near the contract albatross he was perceived to be in Seattle. I think he and Vlad have been the two best bargains in baseball this year. But hey, we got Teahen and Kotsay. What more can one ask for?

JJ Putz and Freddy Garcia need to be in that conversation at some point.

I've always loved Beltre, and he's been one of the best signings in the majors. He has made himself quite a bit of money this season, and he's only 31 too, which is scary. He's probably got another 2-4 years of being a productive player in him. It kind of sucks that he did end up signing with Seattle, because I think his overall numbers would be much more impressive had he not. Even so, he's got an outside chance at 3000 hits and 400 home runs if he can stick around as an everyday player until he's 38 or 39.

I've been in love with Beltre for a good two years now. The dude can hit, Safeco killed him though.

Nobody besides their steroid dealers

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)
Has Beltre ever been connected to steroids? I'm drawing a blank there.

That 49 HR, near MVP season he posted in 2004 seemingly out of nowhere, before falling back to earth the moment he signed his contract in Seattle certainly has raised some eyebrows.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
That 49 HR, near MVP season he posted in 2004 seemingly out of nowhere, before falling back to earth the moment he signed his contract in Seattle certainly has raised some eyebrows.

And now putting up great numbers for a franchise that has been riddled with abusers.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
Would you guys think less of me if I tracked Carlos Gonzalez down and proposed to him?

I'm still waiting for you to explain to me how, if he is so amazing, he can't hit for s*** away from Coors Field?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 06:23 PM)
I'm still waiting for you to explain to me how, if he is so amazing, he can't hit for s*** away from Coors Field?

Some guys, once they get used to hitting at Coors, going away gets in their head. It's sorta the reverse of Petco.