2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 out in the bottom of the 16th with the Astros up 2 and no one on, Polanco walks bringing the tying Run to the plate in the form of Chase Utley. Problem is; Roy Oswalt is on deck. Here comes the intentional walk to get to the pitcher, tough way to end this one.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 11:25 PM)
2 out in the bottom of the 16th with the Astros up 2 and no one on, Polanco walks bringing the tying Run to the plate in the form of Chase Utley. Problem is; Roy Oswalt is on deck. Here comes the intentional walk to get to the pitcher, tough way to end this one.

Yea. Grounded out to end the game. To his credit though, I am glad he actually hit the pitch.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 11:31 PM)
Yea. Grounded out to end the game. To his credit though, I am glad he actually hit the pitch.

He took 2 real close fastballs just off the outside corner just before that, great eye. He gave a valiant effort up there.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 11:18 PM)
16th inning in Philly the Astros just scored 2 and are now up 4-2 on the Phils. Ryan Howard was ejected in the top of the 15th inning forcing the Phils to move LF Raul Ibanez to 1B and Roy Oswalt into LF, he's played 2 innings out there.

Howard's ejection looked pretty bush. He got tossed by the 3rd base ump who had just rung him up for the second time that night on an appeal of a check. Howard did toss his bat in frustration, but his strike out ended the innning with the winning run in scoring position. Imo, a player has the right to show some emotion in that situation. The ump's quick trigger could have really affected that game, which is big given the race the Phils are in.

Had the pleasure of watching the last inning in that Phillies/Astros game. I saw something I've never seen before, and that was some of the Astros players in the dugout clapping along with a "Let's go Oswalt" chant. Bagwell was definitely one of those clapping in unison with the crowd.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 05:07 PM)
So yeah, like, who the hell is the NL MVP right now? As a voter, how in the world do you vote for Votto over Pujols or vice versa?

If they keep it up and finish with similar numbers, I think you just have to give it to the guy whose team wins the division???

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
It'll suck if it comes to that. That would be such a copout. But what happens if both teams make the playoffs?

I hear ya, but how else do you decide between the two? Their numbers are so similar now, it is ridiculous. I'm assuming one of them will win the award in September but who knows.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)
Went to PNC Park Monday night. What a gorgeous park. Easily makes my top 5 list. And it also reminded me of how we screwed up royally with many of the decisions we made for our new park.

4924560009_ed9103fae6.jpg

I was there for the first time on Friday night and my trip to the park, as well as my good friend's wedding on the river completely turned around my opinion of Pittsburgh. My only other trips there were to shady parts of town, but this was absolutely gorgeous. Too bad The Pirates are so perennially bad that they can't get anyone in the door to see how awesome the stadium is.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
Coors Field up to her old tricks, Braves blow 10-1 4th inning lead, lose 12-10

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 05:52 PM)
LOL, AT&T Park up to her old tricks as well. Reds were up 10-1 in the 5th, Giants now lead 11-10 after 8

Reds held on however. Shame cause that would have been the first time in MLB history two teams came back from 9 run defeatists on the same day.

Padres are tied with Yankees & Rays for fewest losses in MLB. Bud Black, come accept your NL Manager of the Year award.

I get the whole Petco Park thing, but they are 38-27 on the road too. They have the 2nd best road ERA in baseball, 0.03 behind the Yankees. Mat Latos is the bomb diggity, but the rest of the rotation is nothing special. Having four bullpen guys with ERA under 2.00 will definitely help though.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 07:03 AM)
Ryan Zimmerman leads NL batters in WAR, FWIW.

He's an incredible player, but the Nats are bad, and there are two other great candidates for winning teams. It sucks, but it does come to that.

They are both very much in contention for the Triple Crown too. A lot of it will depend on if Omar Infante can keep his average up as he reaches the plate appearance mark, but as of right now, Votto is leading at .326 with Pujols in 3rd at .319, and Pujols is leading in homers and RBI at 33 and 92 respectively, with Votto 2nd in both of those at 31 and 90.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 07:03 AM)
Ryan Zimmerman leads NL batters in WAR, FWIW.

He's arguably the best 3B in baseball. And that includes one of my man loves in Longoria. But like wite said, Zimmerman won't sniff the award with Pujols and Votto having the years they're having for winning teams.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 09:07 AM)
Padres are tied with Yankees & Rays for fewest losses in MLB. Bud Black, come accept your NL Manager of the Year award.

I get the whole Petco Park thing, but they are 38-27 on the road too. They have the 2nd best road ERA in baseball, 0.03 behind the Yankees. Mat Latos is the bomb diggity, but the rest of the rotation is nothing special. Having four bullpen guys with ERA under 2.00 will definitely help though.

Best story in baseball by a wide margin. I hadn't really gotten a chance to see much of the Padres, as they're obviously a west coast team. But I got a chance to see them during their recent 4-game sweep of the Cubs. They've got a CY and MVP candidate in Latos and Gonzalez. As you said, the rest of the team isn't really special. But the one thing they do better than anybody is catch that baseball. They've committed the fewest errors and lead all of baseball in fielding%. Then they're first in UZR with an insane 52.5 runs saved (next closest are the Mariners/Rays with 43.7). They're built perfectly for that ballpark. They'll be plenty dangerous come October.

Predictions of post season awards?

I'm going with:

AL Manager

Ron Washington

AL Rookie

Wade Davis (if eligible)

AL CY

David Price

AL MVP

Josh Hamilton

NL Manager

Bud Black

NL Rookie

Jason Heyward

NL CY

Adam Wainright

NL MVP

Albert Pujols

AL Manager - Washington

AL Rookie - Jackson

AL MVP - Hamilton

AL Cy Young - Sabathia (Felix should get it though)

NL Manager - Black

NL Rookie - Heyward (though Garcia and Sanchez deserve consideration)

NL MVP - Votto

NL Cy Young - Wainwright, though I think Halladay has been a more valuable pitcher. This is going to be the closest race of them all.