2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:00 AM)
They're a LOT younger than the '05 Sox, imo.

Reminds me of the '03 Marlins.

That Marlins team had unbelievable talent on them. IRoid, D. Lee, Castillo, A. Gonzalez, Conine, M. Cabrera, Encarnacion, Lowell, Pierre, Beckett, Willis, Pavano, Penny, Urbina

I love that team with all my heart

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 06:23 PM)
Predictions of post season awards?

I'm going with:

AL Manager

Ron Washington

AL Rookie

Wade Davis (if eligible)

AL CY

David Price

AL MVP

Josh Hamilton

NL Manager

Bud Black

NL Rookie

Jason Heyward

NL CY

Adam Wainright

NL MVP

Albert Pujols

Wade Davis has a 4.41 ERA this year.

I'd rather give the award to Austin Jackson.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
He's arguably the best 3B in baseball. And that includes one of my man loves in Longoria. But like wite said, Zimmerman won't sniff the award with Pujols and Votto having the years they're having for winning teams.

Yeah, that doesn't make it right, but I've basically made my peace with the award process.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
Jackson of the 2 HR 29 RBI and league-leading 135 Ks in 480 AB?

That's worse than Pierre.

I'd sooner give it to a good CF with a .300+ AVG and .345 wOBA than a league average starting pitcher with bad peripherals. Personally I'd give it to Neftali Feliz: effective closer (32/35 in save opps, 5th highest WPA among AL relievers) for a first place club that plays half their games in Texas, he's maintained a sub 1 WHIP with solid peripherals. All in all it's a weak year for AL rookies.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 07:47 PM)
AL Cy Young - Sabathia (Felix should get it though)

He'll get robbed again. Lack of wins which is what voters look at alot. I would of gave it to Cliff Lee about a week ago, but it's obvious he's tired (as doc indicated) which is hurting his numbers.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
Jackson of the 2 HR 29 RBI and league-leading 135 Ks in 480 AB?

That's worse than Pierre.

He's hitting .306. He has a .358 OBP with a .345 wOBA and playing a solid center field.

He's better than Pierre.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
He'll get robbed again. Lack of wins which is what voters look at alot. I would of gave it to Cliff Lee about a week ago, but it's obvious he's tired (as doc indicated) which is hurting his numbers.

Again? As good as Felix was last year, Greinke was clearly better and deserved the award.

AL MVP: Hamilton (though Cabrera would be my pick if the Tigers had a better record).

AL ROY: Neftali Feliz (extremely weak year for the AL crop. If Bailey won it last year, Neftali should easily win it this year).

AL manager of the year: Ozzie Guillen Ron Washington (could easily go to Gardenhire).

AL CY Young: David Price

NL MVP: Pujols/Votto (simply can't pick one. Honorable mention for Adrian and Carlos Gonzalez).

NL ROY: Buster Posey (and it's not even close).

NL manager of the year: Bud black (gotta give some love to Dusty Baker, though).

NL Cy Young: Josh Johnson (He's hit a little rough patch. But that was to be expected. As his ERA wasn't going to remain below 2 all year. If he finishes reasonably strong he should win it).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 11:26 PM)
Again? As good as Felix was last year, Greinke was clearly better and deserved the award.

Totally forgot Zack's year was 09. (I was thinking 08 for some reason) I'll take a stab at my predictions.

AL Manager - Ron Washington (go figure.. with the off-season stuff)

AL Rookie - Austin Jackson (I can see Feliz winning it as well, but his guy has held his own with the bat and glove all year. Plus rating in both UZR and WAR)

AL MVP - Miguel Cabrera (I usually agree with the guy whose team is better, but this guy is nearing triple crown numbers [1st, 2nd and 3rd in each.. damn you Bautista and Hamilton, though I could see him catching Josh in average] and beats Hamilton's numbers (except batting average right now) in every stat (not to mention has been Barry Bonds-ed with his 26 IBB to Hamilton's 5) and has no other protection. He is just amazing to watch and makes me want to re-pull up those threads defending his awesomeness.

AL Cy Young - C.C. Sabathia (as wite said though, King Felix should get it.. and he will probably get robbed)

NL Manager - Bud Black (what a year for that team.. this award is probably the most locked up of them all)

NL Rookie - Buster Posey (There is a reason why me and daa say he will be the best player in that 08' draft. Add in an outstanding job at handling the pitching staff as a young player himself in a playoff run. Props to J4L for also giving him love.)

NL MVP - Joey Votto (This and the Cy Young are going to go down to the wire with him and Pujols. Both are also near Triple Crowns. Reds being in first place is helping his chances not to mention he has been the main reason statistically)

NL Cy Young - Adam Wainwright (He is going to be neck and neck with Roy Halladay down the stretch. Tim Hudson deserves some love as well)

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 01:47 AM)
Totally forgot Zack's year was 09. (I was thinking 08 for some reason) I'll take a stab at my predictions.

AL Manager - Ron Washington (go figure.. with the off-season stuff)

AL Rookie - Austin Jackson (I can see Feliz winning it as well, but his guy has held his own with the bat and glove all year. Plus rating in both UZR and WAR)

AL MVP - Miguel Cabrera (I usually agree with the guy whose team is better, but this guy is nearing triple crown numbers [1st, 2nd and 3rd in each.. damn you Bautista and Hamilton, though I could see him catching Josh in average] and beats Hamilton's numbers (except batting average right now) in every stat (not to mention has been Barry Bonds-ed with his 26 IBB to Hamilton's 5) and has no other protection. He is just amazing to watch and makes me want to re-pull up those threads defending his awesomeness.

AL Cy Young - C.C. Sabathia (as wite said though, King Felix should get it.. and he will probably get robbed)

NL Manager - Bud Black (what a year for that team.. this award is probably the most locked up of them all)

NL Rookie - Buster Posey (There is a reason why me and daa say he will be the best player in that 08' draft. Add in an outstanding job at handling the pitching staff as a young player himself in a playoff run. Props to J4L for also giving him love.)

NL MVP - Joey Votto (This and the Cy Young are going to go down to the wire with him and Pujols. Both are also near Triple Crowns. Reds being in first place is helping his chances not to mention he has been the main reason statistically)

NL Cy Young - Adam Wainwright (He is going to be neck and neck with Roy Halladay down the stretch. Tim Hudson deserves some love as well)

He does? He gets none from me.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 12:34 AM)
AL MVP: Hamilton (though Cabrera would be my pick if the Tigers had a better record).

AL ROY: Neftali Feliz (extremely weak year for the AL crop. If Bailey won it last year, Neftali should easily win it this year).

AL manager of the year: Ozzie Guillen Ron Washington (could easily go to Gardenhire).

AL CY Young: David Price

NL MVP: Pujols/Votto (simply can't pick one. Honorable mention for Adrian and Carlos Gonzalez).

NL ROY: Buster Posey (and it's not even close).

NL manager of the year: Bud black (gotta give some love to Dusty Baker, though).

NL Cy Young: Josh Johnson (He's hit a little rough patch. But that was to be expected. As his ERA wasn't going to remain below 2 all year. If he finishes reasonably strong he should win it).

Josh Hamilton blows Cabrera out of the water in just about everything though.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
Josh Hamilton blows Cabrera out of the water in just about everything though.

He does?

Hamilton: .354/.406/.631/1.037. wOBA .444, OPS+ 172

Cabrera: .340/.434/.638/1.072. wOBA 441, OPS+ 184

Then you have to take into account that if you remove Cabrera from the Tigers' lineup you have an offense that would resemble that of the Mariners or A's. Take Hamilton away from the Rangers' lineup you still have Kinsler, Young, Guerrero, Cruz. Hamilton has been fantastic and is every bit deserving of the award. But it was until June 1st that he went nuts. Cabrera has been doing it from day one and has been just a tad better with less favorable circumstances.

Now if you're factoring in defense, then Hamilton has the edge. But I seriously doubt defense plays a role in MVP voting. We can't even get the gold gloves right half the time.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
He does?

Hamilton: .354/.406/.631/1.037. wOBA .444, OPS+ 172

Cabrera: .340/.434/.638/1.072. wOBA 441, OPS+ 184

Then you have to take into account that if you remove Cabrera from the Tigers' lineup you have an offense that would resemble that of the Mariners or A's. Take Hamilton away from the Rangers' lineup you still have Kinsler, Young, Guerrero, Cruz. Hamilton has been fantastic and is every bit deserving of the award. But it was until June 1st that he went nuts. Cabrera has been doing it from day one and has been just a tad better with less favorable circumstances.

Now if you're factoring in defense, then Hamilton has the edge. But I seriously doubt defense plays a role in MVP voting. We can't even get the gold gloves right half the time.

Of course you have to incorporate defense if you're talking about who deserves the award.

The two are pretty much level on offense, even if you adjust to ballpark with RC+ (180 for Cabrera, 179 for Hamilton) and wRAA (50 for Hamilton, 51 for Cabrera).

Sure, Cabrera gets intentionally walked and pitched around more than anybody else in the AL and that does hurt his stats like RC+ and wOBA since IBBs are not accounted for (which is why Cabrera's OPS+ does look better). Only in that respect does his numbers suffer.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)
Of course you have to incorporate defense if you're talking about who deserves the award.

Well you weren't specific. You said Hamilton "blows Cabrera out of the water." And I agree about the defensive aspect. I just don't think it plays much of a role. Barry Bonds didn't win 4 straight from '01 to '04 because of his defense. Ryan Howard didn't win in '06 because of his defense. Hell, even Frank didn't win two of them because of his defense.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
Well you weren't specific. You said Hamilton "blows Cabrera out of the water." And I agree about the defensive aspect. I just don't think it plays much of a role. Barry Bonds didn't win 4 straight from '01 to '04 because of his defense. Ryan Howard didn't win in '06 because of his defense. Hell, even Frank didn't win two of them because of his defense.

In those two cases, they beat out everybody else on offense. Well, maybe not in 06 for Howard since Pujols was better than him, but that was the case with Frank. In this case, Cabrera and Hamilton are virtually equal.

Hamilton's been a hell of a lot more valuable than Cabrera. 1.5 WAR is quite a disparity.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)

Preach. I understand what chw was saying, but it was poor choice of wording with the "blows him out of the water." Like I said if the season ended today, Cabrera is my MVP. If it wasn't for Bautista, I think he would have a great shot to win the triple crown. (I think he'll catch Hamilton's average by seasons end. Bautista's homers might hurt his chances though) amazing even with Hamilton's protection, Miggy still has more RBI's than he does AND gets pitched around way more. Only thing hurting him is his own damn team. I still think Hamilton slows down a bit come September and the award will be more clearer.

Edited by J.Reedfan8