2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

Just wanted to post this somewhere since I wonder if it's the last we'll hear of it.

In July, the voice of the Giants, Jon Miller, said in a KNBR interview that he had heard from people in the game that something fishy could be happening with the baseballs, which are to be humidified and used by both teams.

"I wasn't making accusations. I was saying there were people on the Giants and apparently other teams talking about something could be going on," Miller said Monday. "They thought the ball was carrying better and balls were harder and the ball sounded differently off the bats and that non-humidor balls could be slipped in the ball bag. How it could happen, I don't know."

Miller isn't alone in his comments.

Two Dodgers coaches questioned a reporter in San Francisco last week about the validity of the humidor process, suggesting the Rockies could use non-humidor balls if the process isn't monitored properly. A National League general manager (not Brian Sabean) said he suspects that the issue will be discussed in the offseason, perhaps at the GM meetings in November.

In 75 games at Coors Field, the Rockies have hit .304 with 102 homers and 790 hits. Opponents have hit .258 with 67 homers and 698 hits. The Rockies have outscored visitors 452-345.

The team scoffs when anyone challenges how it transports balls from the humidor to the pitcher's hand.

Kevin Kahn, the Rockies' vice president of ballpark operations, said dozens of game balls are removed from the humidor (in a room near the Rockies' clubhouse) on game day, rubbed up by the umpires' attendant and deposited into a ball bag that is returned to the humidor. After the national anthem, the attendant transfers the ball bag from the humidor to the end of the Rockies' dugout.

During games, when the plate umpire is low on baseballs, a ball boy situated near the bag pulls out some and runs them to the ump.

MLB doesn't monitor the process in person, and Kahn said the umpires' attendant is a Rockies employee. So what's to prevent the Rockies from slipping in a non-humidor ball when the team needs a big rally?

"The integrity of the manager (Jim Tracy) and coaching staff would prevent that," said Kahn, a former A's employee and graduate of Oakland's Bishop O'Dowd High School and Cal State Hayward.

The only thing stopping a team from doctoring balls is the integrity of the manager? Quick, someone put balls for the next Twins series in a bloody humidor.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh Hamilton's injury update (per Rotoworld):

Josh Hamilton was diagnosed Tuesday with two small rib fractures and given another pain-killing injection.

Hamilton can play through the fractures, but not until the pain and discomfort finally dissipates. He hasn't appeared in a game since September 4 and probably won't be back in the starting lineup until the last week of September or first week of October. In other words, the situation hasn't changed. Sep. 21 - 2:38 pm et

Source: Dallas Morning News

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
He'd still be behind CarGo, Votto, Pujols IMO.

He may not be as good as those guys on offense, but he's a SS and plays a very good SS. That's a huge reason why his WAR is actually pretty close to the likes of all those 3 (and higher than CarGo's), even though he has almost 150 fewer PAs.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 07:22 AM)
Cole Hamels since the All-Star Break:

5-3, 90.2 IP, 100K, 1.89 ERA, 0.93 WHIP, .202 BAA

If he pitches anything like he did in the 08 playoffs, then I think the Phillies have to be the favorite to win it all with that 1-2-3 punch in the rotation.

They're the model organization in baseball right now. I fully expect the Phillies to get to the World Series again. And when Cole Hamels is your #3 man, you're pretty much the favorite.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)
They're the model organization in baseball right now. I fully expect the Phillies to get to the World Series again. And when Cole Hamels is your #3 man, you're pretty much the favorite.

They make some questionable moves here and there, the contract extension to Moyer still baffles me, but their philosophy is one to model after. Their payroll is a bit bigger than ours, but they are a prime target for the Sox to emulate.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 12:06 AM)
They make some questionable moves here and there, the contract extension to Moyer still baffles me, but their philosophy is one to model after. Their payroll is a bit bigger than ours, but they are a prime target for the Sox to emulate.

Their 2010 payroll to start the year was $141 million, before adding Roy Oswalt (although the Stros are paying a large chunk of that).

That's more than "a bit bigger than ours".

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)

I agree that they are doing some great things. But like Balta alluded to, there are only 2, maybe 3 teams with a higher payroll than them, so its not very easy to just model your organization the same way.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 08:12 AM)
Their 2010 payroll to start the year was $141 million, before adding Roy Oswalt (although the Stros are paying a large chunk of that).

That's more than "a bit bigger than ours".

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 08:57 AM)
I agree that they are doing some great things. But like Balta alluded to, there are only 2, maybe 3 teams with a higher payroll than them, so its not very easy to just model your organization the same way.

They built up to that though. It's not like they started at $140 mill.

In 2008 we had a payroll over $120 million, the Phillies were a bit under $100 million. That's over a $20 million difference that the Sox were ahead just 2 years ago. They increased that payroll because of the success they had because of their organizational philosophy.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)
They built up to that though. It's not like they started at $140 mill.

In 2008 we had a payroll over $120 million, the Phillies were a bit under $100 million. That's over a $20 million difference that the Sox were ahead just 2 years ago. They increased that payroll because of the success they had because of their organizational philosophy.

Are those payroll figures actual money spent on salary though? I thought the Philles paid a good portion of Thome's salary, which would even out those numbers a bit. Also, were the Sox paying all of Javy's contract or did AZ help with that?

The Phillies attendance the last 4 seasons has been 38k, 42k, 44k, & 44k. The highest the Sox have ever reached was 36k when the stadium opened and after the WS. Granted the Cell only fits about 40k, but knowing the history of Sox fans, I doubt they ever reach hit such high attendance numbers consistently, which also limits the payroll.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
Are those payroll figures actual money spent on salary though? I thought the Philles paid a good portion of Thome's salary, which would even out those numbers a bit. Also, were the Sox paying all of Javy's contract or did AZ help with that?

The Phillies attendance the last 4 seasons has been 38k, 42k, 44k, & 44k. The highest the Sox have ever reached was 36k when the stadium opened and after the WS. Granted the Cell only fits about 40k, but knowing the history of Sox fans, I doubt they ever reach hit such high attendance numbers consistently, which also limits the payroll.

I believe they are the raw payrolls not including cash from other teams, but I believe we are still around $5-10 million above the Phillies that year.

Which still holds my argument, the Phillies started around the same payroll as the Sox, but with their decisions and organizational philosophy they have been winning at a high level each year, bringing not just local attention but national attention to the team, resulting in being able to afford, for now, the inflated payroll.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 11:06 AM)
I believe they are the raw payrolls not including cash from other teams, but I believe we are still around $5-10 million above the Phillies that year.

Which still holds my argument, the Phillies started around the same payroll as the Sox, but with their decisions and organizational philosophy they have been winning at a high level each year, bringing not just local attention but national attention to the team, resulting in being able to afford, for now, the inflated payroll.

I do agree that their decisions and success played a big part in that payroll. But so did their six-year old ballpark, with a capacity of 45,000, that sells out nearly every night. As soon as the park opened, they were working in the $90 mil range anyway, so its not like they came from the poor house. At the Sox top success levels, they couldnt even hit 37k per game, and I don't know how much higher that would get with more success. (and I do realize the capacity is only about 40k).

I'm not doubting the Phillies organizational success, I am just saying that most other franchises still wouldn't be able to afford the same payroll if they were just as or more successfull than the Phillies the last few years.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)

They also don't share their market with a bigger fan base either.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 11:45 AM)

That's not deadspin breaking it down, that's the guys from Fire Joe Morgan breaking it down. They're f***ing amazing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)
They also don't share their market with a bigger fan base either.

Philly:

1.54 million

Chicago:

2.8 milllion

Even if we are splitting a city it is about even. Factor in more corporate sponsor opportunities being in a large international and national market, the Sox are in just as good, if not a better position than the Phillies if they got their s*** together.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)
Philly:

1.54 million

Chicago:

2.8 milllion

Even if we are splitting a city it is about even. Factor in more corporate sponsor opportunities being in a large international and national market, the Sox are in just as good, if not a better position than the Phillies if they got their s*** together.

We aren't. The Cubs are easily the majority in the city.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
We aren't. The Cubs are easily the majority in the city.

With bandwagon fans, yes the Cubs do have more fans. I see that changing if the Sox actually consistently get to the playoffs and the Cubs faltering.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
With bandwagon fans, yes the Cubs do have more fans. I see that changing if the Sox actually consistently get to the playoffs and the Cubs faltering.

I thought it was a pretty damn big "if," so I just made it into a pretty damn big "if."

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)
Philly:

1.54 million

Chicago:

2.8 milllion

Are you kidding me? That ballpark on the North Side is the most popular ballpark in the country (or at least tied with Fenway). As long as that funhouse is stading there on Clark & Addison, the White Sox will never be close to splitting the city even. It is also in what is now one of the liveliest neighborhoods around, which is not to easy to compete with. Also, the population density around Philly on the East Coast is much greater, so they have a larger base of fans all around the Philly area. Philly is only 90 miles from NYC, so I would bet that their corporate sponsor opportunities are just as great if not better.

There's no doubt that the Sox need to get their s*** together, especially with development within the organization. It is very true that the Phillies did a good job of coordinating a new ballpark with developing success and talent within the organization to put them in a great position right now. However, the position they are in financially with their payroll is one that very few teams can or will ever be in, no matter their success.